what happens if you don't eat back excercize calories?

Options
:laugh: So what happens if you don't eat back all of the calories you burned while excercizing? Will it make you stop loosing weight? Just getting the hang of this and I want to make sure my calories are right about each excercize.

Replies

• TamTamW
    TamTamW Posts: 27
    Options
    I would like to know that too! I try to keep my calories under my goal.
  • bashmir
    bashmir Posts: 43
    Options
    People say different things about it but I never eat them because i think if you eat your workout calories then why should you even workout.
  • katherine143000
    Options
    Ok so a typical body runs on 2,200 calories a day (and this number ranges depending on the person). But to lose 1 pound a week you need to cut out 500 calories from your diet. But most people want to lose about 2 pounds a week so MFP cut out 1,000 calories from our diet (500+500). So to lose 2 pounds a week you need to eat about 1,200 calories a day. But if you work out you burn some of those calories. But the thing is your body NEEDS 1,200 calories a day to do basic functions so if you do not eat back the calories you burn while exercising your body loses those calories. The purpose of exercise is not to lose weight. If you ate 1,200 calories a day and did absolutely no exercise you would still lose weight but you would be all skin and bones with no lean muscles which is important and you won’t look good when you are thin you will look sick. So you need to eat your calories back or your body will suffer. Hope this helps to explain! Good luck, guys!
  • katerams
    katerams Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ok so a typical body runs on 2,200 calories a day (and this number ranges depending on the person). But to lose 1 pound a week you need to cut out 500 calories from your diet. But most people want to lose about 2 pounds a week so MFP cut out 1,000 calories from our diet (500+500). So to lose 2 pounds a week you need to eat about 1,200 calories a day. But if you work out you burn some of those calories. But the thing is your body NEEDS 1,200 calories a day to do basic functions so if you do not eat back the calories you burn while exercising your body loses those calories. The purpose of exercise is not to lose weight. If you ate 1,200 calories a day and did absolutely no exercise you would still lose weight but you would be all skin and bones with no lean muscles which is important and you won’t look good when you are thin you will look sick. So you need to eat your calories back or your body will suffer. Hope this helps to explain! Good luck, guys!

Omggg this is the best explanation ive seen of this. So easy to understand.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    please check this link best answer to your question and is even stickied to the top of the page

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    what happens if you don't eat back excercize calories?

The world as we know it explodes and all the self-righteous folks of MFP turn into zombies and start chasing your butt wanting to bite it.

The Zombie apocalypse wasnt a result of a failed experiment, it was the result of some hippie wanting to not eat back their calories. May god help us against such fools!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,034 Member
    Options
    Eat back exercise calories because

1) You want to lose fat, not muscle
    2) The more you work out, the more calories you need
    3) MFP has a deficit built in even if you do not exercise
    4) If you are living on less than 1200 calories, you will NOT be able to stick with the diet and even if you make your goal, you'll gain it back --This I know from experience!
    5) The world will end if you don't

Okay the last one was a joke.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    People say different things about it but I never eat them because i think if you eat your workout calories then why should you even workout.

working out has more than "weight loss" under its benefits. keeping your heart healthy can combat heart disease and diabetes (amongst other things). i've worked in a few hospitals as an intern and i've seen a lot of patients refused for surgery or treatment because of complications with an unhealthy heart. strong muscles can reverse (or slow down) the aging process and prevent osteoporosis. weight training can raise your BMR and help you burn more calories while you're doing nothing.

don't forget improved cognitive function, a dose of "happy hormones," and the ability to survive in a zombie apocalypse! exercise isn't just for weight loss!

anyways...
    unless you're obese (32% + BF%), there is a risk of your body going into starvation mode. it's scared that you will be exercising and not eating enough, so it will hold on to that fat as an emergency source==> weight loss slows down.

if you're classified as obese, your body WILL use your fat stores for energy. but it is still recommended to eat at least SOME of your exercise calories back.

eating your exercise calories might slow down your weight loss, but it prevents you from being uber tired or giving up your healthy lifestyle altogether. if you want to be able to build muscle and perform better (run faster, lift more) you need to supply your body with sufficient carbs and proteins.

if you eat the net calories recommended by MFP (i.e., that green number that says you have X calories left), and get that as close to 0 as possible, you will STILL lose weight (albeit at a slower rate). eating your calories back to that point still has a deficit. again, at a slower rate...but this isn't a race! you will STILL LOSE WEIGHT.

i don't always eat all of my calories back. but on days i know i need the energy (days i have races, or exams) i make sure to eat what my body needs.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    This will cause fights, but unless you are a hard core elite trainee, do yourself a favor, and don't eat them back.
  • 1andonlykellyd
    1andonlykellyd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Working out helps to burn fat and rev up your metabolism.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on how much activity you are getting, and YOUR body....I was having mega gym session burns (800-1000 cals burned a day) eating back cals and was gaining like a mo fo!!!

now that i have scaled back, I am only burning about 200-300 cals a day doing at home videos and NOT eating back cals I am loosing super quickly again...

Who knows...you will find whats right for you!
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • lindseyewalton
    Options
    The only problem with the whole "1200 calories a day and eating or not eating exercise calories" thing is that food labels can be up to 20% incorrect and those machines at the gym that tell you you just burned 500 calories are most likely incorrect. Also, none of these calorie count sites take into account that I have a bigger frame than the girl who is smaller than me but weighs the same. Bone density and body fat differences are huge factors. 1500 calories maintains my weight with my exercise plan, but the site says it should make me lose. 1200-1400 calories a day + 3 days a week strength training + 3 days a week cardio is where I lose weight. That said, OVER-estimate your calories eaten and UNDER-estimate your calories burned. I say that those two equal out by the end of the day. My vote? DON'T eat back exercise calories.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind too that if you want to lose 2 lbs/week (a perfectly reasonable and healthy goal) and your TDEE is under 2200, MFP will not go that low. They give you a minimum calories of 1200, which is fine. So if say your TDEE is 1900 and you want to lose 2 lbs/week, you can eat 1200 and exercise off 300 (without eating back). There's nothing wrong with that.