Quit smoking, metabolism and dieting. Lower calories more?

Options
I want to continue losing weight while I quit smoking but I'm finding on the internet that your metabolism drops when You quit. I dont know if this drop is a "back to normal" drop or not since nothing I read is specific. I know gaining weight is NOT inevitable. But I'm already at a deficit to lose 1 lb a week. So subtracting another 150-200 cals, is this gonna fix the low metabolism or am I supposed to just leave it like it is and hope to continue to lose weight? So confusing... I know there's not a real answer, just theories but what do u guys think you should do if u quit smoking and don't want to lose or slow your hard earned progress?

Replies

• kid75
    kid75 Posts: 17
    Options
    Bump
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I would just do what you're doing now. I stopped smoking six months ago and I didn't notice much of a difference. Besides, you don't need the stress of cutting more calories while trying to quit. Try leaving it the same, and if you find yourself stuck and not losing cut by 100 calories a day until you start losing again. Good luck!
  • pushing40soon
    Options
    My husband is trying to quit smoking and is overweight and just started taking this lifestyle seriously. I would suggest a thermogenic fat burner or even something to increase the metabolism during your workouts such as caffeine (comes in pill form too!) Also, if you don’t have high blood pressure, why don’t you see if you would be a good candidate for phentermine (appetite suppressant 37.5mg prescription strength) during the time you are trying to quit smoking. If you’re not a health risk and your doc isn’t TOO conservative then why not ask for it?! ½ a pill before breakfast covers me all day and ensures that I eat healthy for 12 hours long w/out robbing the local Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream store. It WILL REDUCE YOUR APPETITE so be prepared and don’t take a full pill at first. If you don’t eat healthy, you will end up losing fat AND MUSCLE.
    Also, do high intensity / low intensity cardio in same session but rotate. 2 min low then 3 min high, repeat. That will burn fat for 24 hrs longer than steady cardio at a slower pace.
    Anywho… just sayin’. =)
    PS – BTW, AWESOME, JUST AWESOME decision on quitting smoking. Are you on patches, gum, or rx for the withdrawals?

PULLIN' FOR YA!!! :happy:
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I quit about 4 weeks ago and still sick to the same calories and nothing has really changed for me. I'm getting the same expected results each week. :) Sooo... it should be fine to keep your calories the same and see how it works. Good luck! You can do it! (You really will feel better)
  • proctor78
    proctor78 Posts: 51
    Options
    I quit 17 days ago and lost 14 pounds in those 17 days, so dont believe everything on the internet I have seen many people not gain wait and when they do its usually because they are eating junk.....
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I quit 17 days ago and lost 14 pounds in those 17 days, so dont believe everything on the internet I have seen many people not gain wait and when they do its usually because they are eating junk.....

Agreed... I lost 13 pounds too - And I really think it helped me with food more than it hurt me. But I figure that may not be normal...

And good job!
  • LordHappyCat
    Options
    HI All,
    I quit smoking 6 months ago. Gained 30 pounds, so obviously, don't do what I did. I just have that much more to lose!!

As a word of caution, my blood pressure went up when I quit. Doctor says he has seen it happen as quite often smoking will mask the anxiety.

I miss smoking terribly. If it were good for me, I would not have quit!!

Good luck during your quit. I wish you the best!! :)
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    I quit (actual, not a puff every now and then etc) on January 9, 2010. To get through the nicotine leaving my body phase, I drank the heck out of some OJ. Then after a week I stopped the OJ and joined MFP to track my cals so that I would also loose weight. It worked, steadily over the next 10 months I lost about 30 pounds (and worked out so I increased density/muscle too).
    So it's all possible. It's all up to you. Be deligent and remember, no matter how bad it gets. Never take another puff. It's not worth it. There were times I couldn't string a sentence together - even months later out of the blue - but not having "just one" got easier and easier each time it didn't happen.

I was a pack+ a day smoker and had "quit" 100 times before - but all those other times I never really quit, I'd still score a smoke every now and then - we all know what I mean. This time it's for real - I can even go out drinking in a smoky bar and be fine.
    I did, however, use an iPhone app to quit. I just tried it on a whim and it just did something for me - even when I was listening to it I was thinking nonsense, but sometimes I'd fall asleep to it and perhaps that's when it really worked. I tried it but still had 3 packs of smokes left. The next day, the smokes tasted bad ..... but I was a smoker and was going to finish them ... a pack+ day smoker took an entire week to force those 3 packs down. From there, I stopped (and the beginning of my post starts).
    The app I used is called "Quit Smokingt" by Max Kristen. The reviews seem sensationalized but I can attest that for me, it is true. Anyway, you listen to a main session once a week (48 mins) and then a booster session the other 6 days (21 mins). I'd put my headphones in and listen as I went to sleep. Sometimes I'd still be awake at the end, other times I'd fall asleep and other times, I'd fall asleep and wake up with a start. I didn't think I was easily hypnotized either - even to the point that I was volunteered to be a hypnotist's assistant in a show ... and he actually sent me back as I was not suitable. But something did work from this app. Best $7.99 I ever spent. The app also tells me I've saved $4305 too. That's $5 a day for 861 days.I also poured over the website "why quit" too.
    Good luck.

Also: I just started back on MFP. I haven't gained any weight since loosing, but i wanted to tweak my diet and loose a few pounds too (for performance reasons). This is great for tracking that. I can maintain my weight no problem without tracking, but loosing weight ? That's another story.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    "It's clear that smoking cigarettes, taking cocaine and certain other pleasure drugs suppress appetite and can prevent weight gain.  These drugs all activate dopamine-dependent reward centers, which is why they're addictive.  Cocaine in particular directly inhibits dopamine clearance from the synapse (neuron-neuron junction), increasing its availability for signaling.

A number of studies have shown that people who quit smoking gain a substantial amount of weight*.  Perhaps the most interesting study showed that one year after quitting smoking, volunteers had gained 18 pounds (8.2 kg), and 69 percent of the weight gain could be attributed to an increase in food intake (1).  They had no change in resting metabolic rate.  That's not consistent with the idea that changes in fat burning were the primary driver of fat gain, but it may be consistent with the reward hypothesis of body fat regulation. "
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/drug-cessation-and-weight-gain.html
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Its 10:36 pm right now and I have been smoke free for 26 hours and 53 minutes. So far today all I wanted to do was eat, and smoke of course. Really hoping that it goes away in the next few days but I am going to continue to watch the scale and my food intake for a week or two and see if I need to change the calories around but for now I am leaving everything the same.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    HI All,
    I quit smoking 6 months ago. Gained 30 pounds, so obviously, don't do what I did. I just have that much more to lose!!

As a word of caution, my blood pressure went up when I quit. Doctor says he has seen it happen as quite often smoking will mask the anxiety.

In my opinion, writing and saying this "I miss smoking terribly. If it were good for me, I would not have quit!!" is a really bad idea. I would go as far as to say "you are 'f-bomb'ed" Sorry, but that is the state of people can get into when they say things like this.They are more likely to relapse and may still be having a cheat smoke every now and then (and the nicotine withdrawls never leave - which should be gone after a few days and then it's just strength of will and habit reforming). I may be wrong with you, but generally this will be accurate. Even if it is next month for you.
    I am a firm believer in positive re-enforcement. Where we can tell ourselves that we can do something by writing it down and saying it out loud. When we do this, we hear ourselves say this, or read it, and so it's a good thing. But because of this, it will also work in reverse, where we'll "positively reenforce" a negative thought. Our subconscious doesn't hear don't and doesn't now that we don't really mean it. All it knows is that you miss smoking and so it will do what it can to get you to do what you want.
    The same thing happens in sports. Golf for example, they'll say to themselves "don't hit it in the water" and their subconscious won't hear don't .... so the perfectly struck shot goes dead center of where the subconscious thought you wanted the ball to go. Dead center lake. Other times they may have a good score going - but before things go wrong, they'll say "I always screw this up" and guess what happens ?

So, all I'm saying is to be carefull what you wish for.
    When I was quitting, one of the thing I did which I think was really successful, was to never vocalize that feel. Say someone was smoking next to me and it smelt so good. Sure I thought it but I never said it out loud so I could hear myself say this and re-enforce that feel. That was probably the best thing I did IMHO. Now smoking just smells like crap but it doesn't worry me - and no, I'm not a smoking nazzi now, I don't care if they smoke or not. I wish they didn't and will move, but it's their choice so who am I to give them grief. If I remember rightly, it only made me dig my heels in more and smoke more when people hassled me about smoking.

Cheers
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Its 10:36 pm right now and I have been smoke free for 26 hours and 53 minutes. So far today all I wanted to do was eat, and smoke of course. Really hoping that it goes away in the next few days but I am going to continue to watch the scale and my food intake for a week or two and see if I need to change the calories around but for now I am leaving everything the same.

Drinking OJ can help the nicotine withdraws. But be careful as OJ is fattening. For the next few days (and no longer) try drinking some - it really does help. You'll screw your cals but that's just a small set back - so long as you don't turn it into a new habit. When nicotine leaves, it drags your blood sugar down (so you want to smoke to get more nicotine in). You'll feel like crap - however, if you get a glass of OJ into you every now and then, you'll boost your blood sugar back up and will feel better. It's only temporary so be prepared. I probably drunk a couple of liters of OJ a day for 3 days, then cut back to a glass or two for a coupe of days, then stopped altogether. From there, it was just mind over matter and being prepared for all the triggers that made me smoke. Like waiting, getting ready, breathing, eating, sex, drinking, walking, living, driving, sleeping etc etc.
    Good luck. You can do it.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    HI All,

In my opinion, writing and saying this "I miss smoking terribly. If it were good for me, I would not have quit!!" is a really bad idea. I would go as far as to say "you are 'f-bomb'ed" Sorry, but that is the state of people can get into when they say things like this.They are more likely to relapse and may still be having a cheat smoke every now and then (and the nicotine withdrawls never leave - which should be gone after a few days and then it's just strength of will and habit reforming). I may be wrong with you, but generally this will be accurate. Even if it is next month for you.
    I am a firm believer in positive re-enforcement. Where we can tell ourselves that we can do something by writing it down and saying it out loud. When we do this, we hear ourselves say this, or read it, and so it's a good thing. But because of this, it will also work in reverse, where we'll "positively reenforce" a negative thought. Our subconscious doesn't hear don't and doesn't now that we don't really mean it. All it knows is that you miss smoking and so it will do what it can to get you to do what you want.
    The same thing happens in sports. Golf for example, they'll say to themselves "don't hit it in the water" and their subconscious won't hear don't .... so the perfectly struck shot goes dead center of where the subconscious thought you wanted the ball to go. Dead center lake. Other times they may have a good score going - but before things go wrong, they'll say "I always screw this up" and guess what happens ?

When I was quitting, one of the thing I did which I think was really successful, was to never vocalize that feel. Say someone was smoking next to me and it smelt so good. Sure I thought it but I never said it out loud so I could hear myself say this and re-enforce that feel. That was probably the best thing I did IMHO. Now smoking just smells like crap but it doesn't worry me - and no, I'm not a smoking nazzi now, I don't care if they smoke or not. I wish they didn't and will move, but it's their choice so who am I to give them grief. If I remember rightly, it only made me dig my heels in more and smoke more when people hassled me about smoking.

Cheers

My mother has not smoked for 20 years and tells me there isn't a day that goes by that she does not want a cigarette. I have been smoke free for 3 and 1/2 years and I still crave cigarettes maybe once a week maybe every other week. Even though you think about here and there just keep with it. I feel better than I have in years and the cravings are just fleeting thoughts...
  • Phoenix_Angel
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses! It makes me feel better to know that others have quit without gaining or slowing their weight progress. The oj sounds like a great idea. I expect to be coughing up nastiness any time now lol. I have quit for almost a weeks now and have been handling it quite well. Also oats - I like the way you tackled the habit with positive reinforcement. I had told my boyfriend (who smokes), the I wouldn't let my quitting affect his lifestyle. I don't complain and I don't talk about how I feel unless it's something positive. I even tell him when he asks that I am fine and hardly miss it lol. I am perfectly fine being around other smokers and I feel lucky for that since it doesnt really affect me. I focus all my attention toward my new body and not my cravings.
    As far as my blood pressure goes, I could handle an increase. My numbers are usually around 97/68 or somewhere close. Ridiculously low right? I have to worry more about passing out tho.
    Suzie - I think it's important that all smokers or addicts understand the reward centers of our brain. It helps yo understand why the cravings and why the struggle and know that things will get better. Also with those receptors working properly, we gain back what it was like to enjoy the little things. And what u said about the study... I wonder where the other 31% is coming from?
    And I heard some positive things about hypnosis and books to quit smoking. I believe it. I used tk listen to an app for hypnosis to help me sleep and a sleeping pill couldn't have even matched it. I was asleep within 5 minutes.
    Thanks again for ur responses and congrats on quitting!
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    HI All,

Cheers

My mother has not smoked for 20 years and tells me there isn't a day that goes by that she does not want a cigarette. I have been smoke free for 3 and 1/2 years and I still crave cigarettes maybe once a week maybe every other week. Even though you think about here and there just keep with it. I feel better than I have in years and the cravings are just fleeting thoughts...

I've been smoke free for 2 and a bit years and never even think about smoking let alone have cravings. The only time I think about smoking is when conversations come up.
    We're all different. Personally, I couldn't stand it to think about or have cravings every week. You have only just re-enforced my thoughts on the matter. Thanks.
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I quit 33 days ago, about the same time I started to eat healthy. I had had enough and wanted to take care of my body, not put junk and toxins into it. I've since lost weight whilst upping the amount I eat. So, I haven't gained weight, I've lost it and I have tons more energy and just feel 100 times better. :)
  • Phoenix_Angel
    Options
    Something more people should mention... Quitting smoking also improves your complexion, eye dryness, nails, acne, hair, skin smoothness and to a certain extent, wrinkles. Really I think most of us can agree... We're more into quitting for cosmetic reasons huh? Lol. At least I am. After quitting a week I've already noticed my skin is more hydrated and softer and of course i smell better :). I have yellowing on my upper lip that makes me look like I have a mustache so I'm hoping that will soon follow.
  • strawberrygashes
    Options
    Oh and just wanted to say, I don't crave AT ALL anymore. Even when I have a glass of wine! I just never want to put another cigarette near my mouth again. I'm so proud I quit and certainly don't miss it. You will be so greatful you did it, and there's plenty of people here to support you.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    HI All,

Cheers

I've been smoke free for 2 and a bit years and never even think about smoking let alone have cravings. The only time I think about smoking is when conversations come up.
    We're all different. Personally, I couldn't stand it to think about or have cravings every week. You have only just re-enforced my thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

I quit a few times, once for two years and one day decided I could just smoke one to get rid of the craving. Took me 10 years to be able to quit again with any success. I learned a hard lesson with that one cigarette.

Sometimes quitting is a good thing :)
  • strawberrygashes
    Options
    Something more people should mention... Quitting smoking also improves your complexion, eye dryness, nails, acne, hair, skin smoothness and to a certain extent, wrinkles. Really I think most of us can agree... We're more into quitting for cosmetic reasons huh? Lol. At least I am. After quitting a week I've already noticed my skin is more hydrated and softer and of course i smell better :). I have yellowing on my upper lip that makes me look like I have a mustache so I'm hoping that will soon follow.

I totally know what you mean, especially the thought of looking a lot older than what I am. Also though, cancer scares the heck out of me and that's the main reason I quit. I would imagine the nasty smoke going into my body and causing harm and one day I just thought 'why am I doing this to myself?'... There's cancer in my family (I'm sure there is in a lot of families) and thinking I could be struck by a terrible illness just to a white stick full of tobacco finally made me stop.