Almost like Chili's...

Options
MoreThanMommie
MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
Chili's Bar & Grill has this amazing appetizer called 'Crispy Onion String & Jalapeno Stack w/ Ranch'. It's so good!! The down side, it's totally deep fried. It has 1050 calories! If that doesn't tell you how yummy it is, I don't know what will.

Anyway, last time my hubby and I went to Chili's this is what he ordered to snack on while waiting for his meal. At the time I didn't know how many calories it had and had a bit while I waited for my salad. Well, I found that I really liked the jalapenos, and thought I could make these at home. Or, a pretty close version.

For anyone that doesn't know what this appetizer is, it's thin slices of onion and jalapeno that have been breaded and deep fried.

Tonight, this is what I came up with. I think it came out really good!

2 fresh jalapenos
1/2 - 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 egg
salt & pepper
Any other spices you prefer

Slice jalapenos in to discs. Beat egg. Add seasoning to Panko. Dip slices into egg, then Panko. Then place on cookie sheet. Continue time all slices have been done.
Bake @ 375 for approx. 20 minutes. Or until lightly brown and as tender as you'd like.

Dip in ranch and enjoy!

If my math is correct, I got a total of 24 slices from 2 whole jalapenos.

Calories~ 298 for the entire recipe. Or 12 per slice.
Carbs~ 41 for entire recipe. Or 2 per slice.
Fat~ 10 for entire recipe. Or 0 per slice.
Protein~ 10 for entire. 0 per slice.
Fiber~ 1 for entire. 0 per slice.

Replies

• Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I remember wanting to try this, but then our Chili's closed. I new it was terribly high in calories and fat, so that was another deterrent. Thanks for the lightened up version. LOVE jalapeno peppers!
  • mollsred06
    mollsred06 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thats awesome bc IM OBSESSED with jalapenos....anything spicey really. lol but i put jalapenos on everything! thanks for the recipe im gonna try that!
  • MoreThanMommie
    Options
    Bump.
  • MoreThanMommie
    Options
    Bump.
  • lgalloway1940
    lgalloway1940 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump