understanding my calories level

Options
As I am fairly new to MFP, which is very awesome, I am not sure if I am doing it right. My calorie goal is 1200 a day. Does that is the most I can eat to or can I eat over this level.

I want to expand my food choices but don't want to screw it up, Thank for listening

Heather:embarassed:

Replies

• aim2234
    aim2234 Posts: 13
    Options
    I think 1200 calories is ridiculous. I don't think it is enough to feed a bird. If you stay on 1200 you will need to eat back all of your exercise calories. Did you pick 1200 calories as your goal or is that what MFP told you to do? Please know I am not ridiculing you. I just don't believe anyone can survive on such little calories for a life-long change. Here is an example of mine.
    I am 36
    I am 5' 7"
    I am 335 pounds

My plan (and I am losing very well)
    2000 calories a day
    workout 3 times a week (30 min)
    and only sometimes will I eat back excersise calories.
    I hope this helps. Feel free to add me!
    aim2234:smile:
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    1200 calories is what a body needs to stay alive if they were laying in a coma. That is the smallest amount you can eat if you don't move. Since we do move we have a BMR that can be higher than 1200. What I do is I log all my activity and workout's. Then I eat back those calories because my body needs them or I will lose muscle instead of fat.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Did you ask the questions right? I don't even think I can live off of 1200 cals. o_o

My sugestion is to look over what you picked. That seems odd to me.
  • PattiUnleashed
    PattiUnleashed Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As I am fairly new to MFP, which is very awesome, I am not sure if I am doing it right. My calorie goal is 1200 a day. Does that is the most I can eat to or can I eat over this level.

I want to expand my food choices but don't want to screw it up, Thank for listening

Heather:embarassed:

Hi Heather and welcome. :smile:

First of all the good news is you can't really screw it up. Isn't that nice! :bigsmile: I have found that my journey to health has taken some time of experimenting to find the right calorie limit for me. Like "aim" I work out, and to tell you, I've never tried eating only 1200 calories, and I wouldn't. I feel it's too low, and I'd be starving. I used to live in that mind set though, that less was better, but now I know it's not. I have three workout "phases" I do, and in each phase I adjust my calorie allotment accordingly. So in one phase I eat 1800 calories, in the second phase I eat 1600, and in the third phase (which is only 10 days long) I eat 1400 calories. Then I repeat the three phases and have done this maybe like 4 or 5 times already.

I hope this helps some. By the way I started her last August and I am 5'9" tall and weighed 228 pounds. I now weigh 190 and have a lot more muscle mass and less fat percentage. I hired a trainer at the gym last August and it made all the difference.

Again, welcome.
    Patti
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BMR. Eat over it. Also if you figure out it will show you based on your activity level what you should be eating daily.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

1200 is too low for the majority of people.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    Figure out your BMR. Eat over it. Also if you figure out it will show you based on your activity level what you should be eating daily.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

1200 is too low for the majority of people.

^^^^^

This
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    When I started on MFP about 11 days ago, I told it I wanted to lose a pound a week and since I hate exercise I entered only 3 10 minute workouts for my exercise level. It put me at 1600 calories for my diet. Then I thought maybe I should try for 2 pounds a week and it put me at 1200 calories. I knew this wasn't going to happen (I like to eat) so I went back to the 1600 calories. I haven't figured out any of the BMR or other numbers everyone seems to know about yet, but that is my next goal. I bought a fit bit to help me know what kind of calories I'm burning, but I haven't been eating back any of the exercise calories yet. Good Luck on your journey! I'm open to new MFP friends for encouragement and advice, so anyone looking for more friends, feel free to add me.