Am I eating enough calories?

Options
Need some opinions...

I am 5'5, 26 years old, 136 lbs. I'm trying to lose weight at the fastest, yet safest rate. I do Insanity workouts 6 days a week, where I burn anywhere between 200 to 300 calories, depending on the workout. MFP set my calorie intake to 1200 calories, plus I eat my exercise calories back also. But when I look on other sites, they usually say anywhere between 1400 to 1600 calories, not including exercise, is what someone with my stats should be consuming. I don't want to overeat, yet I don't want to put my body in starvation mode. Is there anyone out there similar to me...what is your calorie intake...answers from anyone is greatly appreciated. :-)

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I am 26, 5'4 and 117 lbs. On my second round of insanity. I eat about 1440+ exercise calories when I was still trying to lose (I burn anywhere from 200-400, sometimes more in month 2) With that little to lose, I'd set your weight loss goals at 0.5 per week. Any more is unrealistic. On maintainence while doing insanity I eat about 1750+exercise calories, often more.
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    I am doing Insanity as well. I would suggest eating close to your BMR. MFP had me set at 1200 and I started to plateau. I discoverd my BMR is 1500 and once I started eating around that I started to lose consistently. Personally, I feel like netting 1200 calories is not enough for such an intense workout like Insanity.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You aren't factoring in MFP 's built in deficit. Your numbers sound good, maybe a little low.. but as long as you're eating beck your burnoff...sounds like you're on track to me.
  • sophiesummerdiet
    sophiesummerdiet Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same stats as you and MFP also set me at 1200 and I eat back my exercise calories. However, after reading all about BMR I checked what mine was and its about 1480 sedentary (even though I'm a teacher so probably should be lightly active). I therefore upped my calorie intake to 1400 and eat my exercise calories back. Hope that helps.
  • Tara_Lynnette
    Tara_Lynnette Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!! I increased mine to 1500 calories a day, plus exercise calories, and I've already lost over a pound. My poor body was starving, lol!!! So I think I may stick to 1500 for a couple weeks and see how that goes, and then adjust accordingly after that. Thanks!