Pizza Crust Ideas please! :)

Options
schustc
schustc Posts: 428 Member
OK.. I'm looking for low calorie pizza crust ideas. Pre-made or home-made. I tried to boboli (YUCK!) that's some nasty crust there. Maybe the regular is good, but the thin crust tasted rubbery and - off.

I know that there has to be a better way. I've seen something about a cauliflower crust, and was excited until I realized it's more of a low-carb thing. not that that is bad, it's just that it has so much cheese, and oil, that I am sure it's more calorie dense than I want to go.

I'd like a crust that is no more than 140 Calories a slice - or for example - less than 840 calories for the entire 12" pizza.

Some of the crusts I have seen, pre-made, are around 300-400 JUST for the crust, for an individual pizza. That's crazy.

I'd be over the moon for one that was around 100, then I could have 2-3 slices with lean toppings and still stay within goals.

Otherwise, I'll be saving pizza for my cheat day every week. I'd just like to see if I can have a healthy option for it during the week, and get maybe 2 pieces for around 500 cals or less.

thoughts?

THANKS!

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use either Flatout Light, Joseph's Flax Pita or a high fiber flour tortilla. The cauli and cheese crusts are low carb so they are high calorie as there is a ton of cheese in them.

The above will give you nice size personal pizza. I know a lot of people use English muffins too. I am low carb so i stick to those mentioned above for low calorie and carb.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Does it have to make a large pizza?

What about a pita? That's what I usually use and my hubby and I can put our own toppings on. The pita itself is usually around 120 cals for the entire thing. One large whole wheat pita with veggies and other toppings is very filling and only comes to about 300 cals depending on what you add.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I make a pizza using ground chuck 95% lean for the crust in place of a flour based. It's a good low carb alternative for me. One slice is very filling as well for me.
  • ashleigh8993
    ashleigh8993 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thinking outside the box try this recipe out!

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/

Its cauliflower pizza crust and you can really put any toppings on it you wanted to. I have made it twice, the first time as pictured as a Hawaiian pizza, the second we put tomato slices down, sauteed some spinach and garlic goat cheese together, spread that over, then put mozzarella on top and baked it. BOTH times were GREAT and you get your pizza fix with much less calories and carbs. It was much better than I expected, only thing was it was more of a fork and knife pizza than a pick it up kinda slice because the texture is a little different, but overall not entirely too different from traditional crust.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have seen small pre-made crusts in the grocery store for about 180 cals before. I think they were made by a bakery though so they didn't have any specific brand name. Just a suggestion, when I want low calorie pizza sometimes I will buy a frozen Lean Cuisine pizza then I load it with all my favorite veggies and bake it. It turns out to be quite a lot of food for under 500cals.
  • ashleigh8993
    ashleigh8993 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    PS to my previous post she lists the nutritional facts as Nutritional Information per serving FOR THE WHOLE PIZZA- per slice:
    Serving size: 1 slice
    Calories per serving: 151
    Fat per serving: 7.2g
    Saturated Fat per serving: 4.1g
    Sugar per serving: 3g
    Fiber per serving: 2.2g
    Protein per serving: 12.6g
    Cholesterol per serving: 53mg
    Carbohydrates per serving: 9.2g
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I use either Flatout Light, Joseph's Flax Pita or a high fiber flour tortilla. The cauli and cheese crusts are low carb so they are high calorie as there is a ton of cheese in them.

The above will give you nice size personal pizza. I know a lot of people use English muffins too. I am low carb so i stick to those mentioned above for low calorie and carb.

Instead of just bump, I want to say thanks for the idea. Will defo try the muffin crust. Im at a point where I need some new foods to eat or will start to get bored. Eating better is just like the internet, just one of them silly fads. :)
  • tophat1
    tophat1 Posts: 19
    Options
    I make individual pizzas using a high fiber tortilla. The tortilla is 70 cals and most of the carbs are fiber. I spray with a little Pam, throw it in a nonstick skillet, crisp on one side, turn over, add toppings, and crisp it up until cheese melts. It's very tasty and doesn't really resemble a tortilla when done.

Also, it's not always traditonal pizza toppings. I love a fajita version with salsa instead of marinara. Or Thai with chili paste. Lots of options for variety
  • bostonmom23
    bostonmom23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    We do pizza most Saturday nights... I make a stuffed portabella mushroom with pizza toppings. I stell a few pepperoni, add some tomato a bit of sauce and cheese. Yummy and very filling.
  • microburst20
    microburst20 Posts: 130
    Options
    I use( natures own) flat sandwich rolls- whole grain. Each side is only 55 calories and when topped and baked is equal to about a slice of pizzia. Ive notice there are a lot of lower cal options for bread under natures own in my area. White wheat is only 60 calories a slice!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Thinking outside the box try this recipe out!

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/

Its cauliflower pizza crust and you can really put any toppings on it you wanted to. I have made it twice, the first time as pictured as a Hawaiian pizza, the second we put tomato slices down, sauteed some spinach and garlic goat cheese together, spread that over, then put mozzarella on top and baked it. BOTH times were GREAT and you get your pizza fix with much less calories and carbs. It was much better than I expected, only thing was it was more of a fork and knife pizza than a pick it up kinda slice because the texture is a little different, but overall not entirely too different from traditional crust.

^ This

I didn't check the link out, but I make mine with 1 head of cauliflower and a cup of egg whites.
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I make pizza dough in the bread machine. super easy and you can just pop your ingredients into the recipe thingy and it will tell you how many calories are in each serving. I dont use oil or anything. Most of the calories come from the flour. and then I add in some italian herbs, garlic into the dough before it mixes. For toppings I use onion, mushrooms, spinach, mozzarella and ham.So yummy!
  • msue482
    msue482 Posts: 55
    Options
    Bump
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I make a home made wheat crust that everyone in the family likes.

1 cup warm water
    2 teaspoons active yeast
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons salt
    3 cups whole wheat (or whole wheat white) flour

Drop 2 tsp. yeast in warm water and let it sit for a few minutes, it should look foamy on the top. Add salt and olive oil to the yeast/water mix. Pour all the wet ingredients into the flour and mix with a dough hook (if you don't have a kitchen aid, mix until it forms up and all ingredients are a big ball.) You may need to add a few tsp. of water if it's really dry. Spray a bowl with pam or olive oil and form a ball with the dough. Put dough in the bowl, cover with saran wrap and put in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Roll out, pretty thin. Bake for 11 min at 500 degree's. It's super easy and so many possibilities with toppings. This recipe makes enough dough for 2 full size pizzas, with each pizza serving 8 pieces.

I just did a chicken pesto pizza last night!
  • twentysixpointtwo
    Options
    when short on time I like Kashi pizza-about 750 cal for the entire pizza with spinach and mushroom. If I have the time I make my own dough (a regular yeast, wheat flour and evoo recipe) and it comes to just over 100 cal/slice or 321 for half a regular size pizza. If you want the recipe, send me a msg
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ive used pita bread i like that and tortilla shells but u could use any wrap like spinach or herb what ever you like i usally spray a pan and cook it in a skillet no sauce well i used to make a buffalo chicken pizza with spiced chicken breast blue cheese as the sauce and cheese ontop to hold on the chicken

ive used bagles too toast them add topings and pop in the micro for 30 to melt the cheese
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I use a whole wheat wrap for my pizza crust.
  • schustc
    Options
    wow! thanks for the GREAT ideas! I think the next one I will try (for convenience) is the pita. Mainly because I have been buying the light pitas (which I LOVE for sandwiches!) but when I tried the 70 calorie wrap, it just didn't do it for me for a pizza crust.

I was not sure the light pita would work, but, in the case of pizza, I'd be willing to get a regular thick fluffy (yeah that sounds good) pita - hopefully around 150, and top it with a bunch of good stuff ... YUM -

second on my list is the cauliflower pizza - it seems to good to be true to have a mozerella crust and still be around 150 per slice! it's on my to try list!

I'm still reading some of the replies - so THANK you - and KEEP EM COMING! :)

Tina
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just made two pizzas this past week using polenta as the crust. I can't eat gluten, so it was more out of necessity than trying to make it low cal. One 12" crust was only 260 calories, cut into four slices is only 65 calories per slice. Of course, you then add the toppings! I loved it, it was a little different than "normal" pizza, but I can't eat "normal" pizza anyway! Even my omnivore bf liked it!

Here is a link to a recipe I used. I accidentally forgot to add olive oil, and it still came out fine. I also upped the cornmeal to 1 cup (and water to 4 cups, that is the ratio I always use to make polenta) to make two 12 inch crusts. I sprinkled corn meal on the pans instead of greasing them.

http://withoutadornment.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/vegan-polenta-pizza/
  • schustc
    Options
    I just made two pizzas this past week using polenta as the crust. I can't eat gluten, so it was more out of necessity than trying to make it low cal. One 12" crust was only 260 calories, cut into four slices is only 65 calories per slice. Of course, you then add the toppings! I loved it, it was a little different than "normal" pizza, but I can't eat "normal" pizza anyway! Even my omnivore bf liked it!

Here is a link to a recipe I used. I accidentally forgot to add olive oil, and it still came out fine. I also upped the cornmeal to 1 cup (and water to 4 cups, that is the ratio I always use to make polenta) to make two 12 inch crusts. I sprinkled corn meal on the pans instead of greasing them.

http://withoutadornment.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/vegan-polenta-pizza/

mmm this sounds good too! thanks!