Recipe for Sweet Potato

AlexPflug
AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
I just bought a raw sweet potato with the intention of making it for myself, but I realize I have no idea what to do with it. I have had a sweet potato before in a savory way and didn't care for it, but I am starting to like the "yams" from the can covered in brown sugar and marshmallow that everyone makes on the holidays. (I know, totally unhealthy)

So I was hoping someone had a great recipe to make a sweet sweet potato. It can be baked, smashed, whatever. I have on hand brown sugar, cinammon, honey, butter substitute made with yogurt, and stevia packets. I look forward to reading some great ideas!

Thanks!

Replies

• Cravenamanda
    Cravenamanda Posts: 54 Member
    I am making sweet potato fries tonight (cut into fries cover with a thin layer of extra light olive oil and salt and bake) You could make sweet fries with cinnamon sugar as well, but I prefer salt and pepper on mine. If you want to bake your potato mix your butter with a tbs of honey and mash it into the potato, also delicious.
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Sounds great, thanks!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Sweet potato fries (baked wedges) are delicious!

I love mine "baked" in the microwave - prick the sweet potato in its skin with a fork, bake for 5-8 minutes until it gives when pressed. use like a regular baked potato - top with cheese, bacon, prawns, etc.

They make lovely soup - cut into chunks and simmer in some good stock until soft. Blitz in a blender, serve with a blob of creme fraiche/ nat yoghurt, and some fresh snipped chives. You can season this one as it cooks - chilli works well, or a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg if you like the sweet spicy.
  • My favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is very plain, very natural--and cold! I microwave them and then once they cool to room temp, I stick them in the fridge for later. They make the absolute best snacks.

An alternative, particularly if I am eating it as part of a meal, is to microwave it, cut it into bite sized pieces (skin and all!), and load it up with some yogurt, salt and pepper. Because it lends itself to sweet as opposed to savory, you could use vanilla yogurt and a little cinnamon. I don't use sugar, but I do use xylitol (amazingly sugar like and not artificial), and if I wanted to do something more traditional, I might use xylitol and cinnamon along with that vanilla yogurt.

Thanks--I had not thought of that second way until I started writing here. In fact, much as I love them, I have stopped eating sweet potatoes and yams since I started trying to consume fewer calories.

Bon appetit!
  • Ambiance247
    Ambiance247 Posts: 7 Member
    I just keep it simple. Boil your sweet potato and when you can prick it with a fork easily, it's done. Peel and mash while it is still warm. Add a tablespoon of raisins, a tablespoon of cranberries, 1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, a little cinnamon, a little nutmeg, and a tablespoon of no sugar added applesauce. I don't add any sugar or sweetener because the applesauce is enough for me. Mix well and enjoy. It is very filling.
  • I cut mine into slices and fry them in a little water, when soft I drizzle a little maple syrup on top.

You can cut them in strips, wash them so they are wet, shake them in corn starch and alittle olive oil and bake.