Why You Should Eat More: A Lion's Tale

Options
124»

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm nervous as hell eating at 1650 calories (my bmr) and planning to EAT BACK exercise calories to stay at 1650 a day.

but it seems like less torture than the last few times i've dieted. and I am pretty stoked I can eat a massive tuna salad and not feel hungry after it!

Still nervous being above 1200 calories a day but here goes!
    Wish me luck!

You do not eat at your BMR. Your BMR is your minimum stay alive calorie burn. It is the minimum if you just laid in bed all day. You need to calculate your TDEE. Then, subtract 20% from that amount to lose weight. But, always eat above your BMR.
  • checci
    checci Posts: 2
    Options
    OP, I am happy for your success and this seems to work for you so keep at it. This post is targeted at other people who feel like they are in a similar situation.

Are you guys thinking about WHAT you're eating??? I'm a vegetarian, I work as a cook in a busy kitchen, so my calorie allowance is just under 1,400 calories a day. I don't do any exercise outside of what I do in work (if you can call that exercise). I went from eating around 3,000 calories a day straight to what I am eating now and all that I have noticed is that I have more energy, I can get out of bed earlier, and my moods have balanced out. Because I am a vegetarian I eat a LOT of vegetables and fruit as snacks. I can cram a lot into a 600 calorie meal because my food is mostly composed of vegetables and pulses. Therefore I get all my essential nutrients without going above my calorie limit. As well as the protein I get from the pulses I eat, I have a boiled egg about 3 or 4 times a week. It is a fact that the majority of meat eaters consume at least 3 times their RDA of protein on a regular basis and I find a vegetarian diet makes it so easy to balance out all your vitamins and minerals. I'm not saying anyone should convert to a vegetarian diet as this is my lifestyle choice, however eating chicken or fish in every meal or any other type of meat that is low in fat is not always the answer.

Not getting your essential nutrients is what is making you feel this way. Calculate your daily calorie needs here once you know your BMR http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/. In order to lose weight you need to consume 500 calories a day less than your body burns off each day, but no less than 1,000 calories as this is when you can damage your health. I worked out that My Fitness Pal sets my target calories at about a 900 cal defecit of what this equation says I need. What is currently working for me is eating slightly less than my 1380 calories about 2 days out of the week, having a few extras for 3 or 4 of the days, and then eating about 500 calories above for 1 or 2 days of the week. This was a tip a bodybuilder gave me to keep my metabolism and my rate of weight loss high. I've been up and down with diets for years, but I got back on the wagon about 2 weeks ago and I've lost 10lbs. Okay, so this isn't a 'healthy' weight loss and people would argue it isn't 'sustainable', however all I know is that at my starting weight of 202lbs I was feeling extremely unhealthy, walking short distances was leaving me out of breath, and basically I was doing a lot of damage to my body. I will avoid hitting that weight loss wall by varying my calories each day, and I will be extremely careful to keep the weight off and make this a long-term thing as I never want to slip back into my old habits and end up putting myself in an early grave.

Anyway, bottom line is, it's difficult to consume all the right nutrients on 1,200 calories a day or whatever. Maybe instead of putting all your focus into BMR and how much you can consume and how much you can't etc I strongly recommend you look into your actual diet as this is a MAJOR issue with losing weight by counting calories without a tailored diet to tell you what to eat. Creating a calorie defecit by exercise is always the healthiest way to lose weight (for example eating 1,800 calories a day but hitting the gym for 2 hours 3 times a week) but if you're anything like me and you simply have too busy a lifestyle to do this then look at what is in the foods you are actually consuming to meet your calorie quota and consider having an 'up/down' calorie allowance to keep your metabolism high.
  • MaddiJoseph
    MaddiJoseph Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1870 to eat per day. With excerise that can go up from around 300 to 1000 or more depending on my training for hat day.

When I calculate my TDEE, it puts me at 2800 per day at maintenance. (I used fat2fitradio.com). But, I don't add back my exercise cals. I just exercise and eat. It's made a huge difference. My energy is through the roof. And, I don't feel like I'm starving. I don't even crave cheat days anymore. All that went away.

Which scale did you use? The one that calculates w/o my body fat puts me at 1791 but the one that accounts for muscle using mybody fat percentage puts my BMR at 1313. MFP puts my calorie goal at 1450. I'm just trying to make sure that it's accurate. thank you!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Honestly, quality of food plays a huge role as well. Hair falling out is from malnutrition, not lack of calories if you are still overweight. Upping calories and still eating crap is still unhealthy.

WHAT you eat is important and you're correct, hair loss is from malnutrition, not just lack of calories.

However, the lower your calorie goal, the more difficult it is to get every nutrient you need. The average person doesn't know or doesn't care enough about nutrition to manage it on a low calorie diet. Even under medical supervision (and/or the supervision of a dietitian), most people are just not careful enough on a low calorie diet.

Furthermore, 'eating crap' is... somewhat subjective. Many believe that processed food is automatically bad and therefore 'crap', but its not always. You can meet your basic nutritional needs and stay healthy on processed food. You can eat white flour. You can eat white sugar. You can eat butter and milk and eggs and whatever... and you'll be fine from a nutritional perspective.

You can also meet your basic nutritional needs, of course, by eating clean. You can meet them by excluding that scary white flour from your diet. You can meet them by eating paleo- meat, veggies, some fruits, minimal grains. You can meet them by eating vegetarian.

And so on.

So since there's a million different ways to eat and meet your nutritional needs as long as you've got enough calories in your daily diet to do that.....

Well... when your hair starts falling out and you're feeling like crap, a good way to fix that is simply eat more. Odds are, you'll get the basics in. You can fine-tune later.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    OK, after reading this thread and most of the "eat more to weigh less" thread, I am going to do the following:
    1. Reset my daily calorie goal at 1600 up from 1200.
    2. Try to eat back at least 50% of my exercise calories, more some days and less some days.

Rationale:
    Fat2Fitradio.com says my BMR is 1516 calories using the Harris-Benedict formula (weight, height, age) and 1450 using the Katch-McArdle formula (including current fat % of 36.5). to weigh 145, my new goal weight, I should consume 1673 calories (wish I knew which formula that uses) if I am sedentary. I took off the 73 calories for two reasons--to account for calorie errors either on my account or inaccuracies in the database and because I suspect the goal calories provided is based on the H-B formula versus the more accurate K-B formula. I will log in exercise calories to match what I actually burn, not relying on a formula but my HRM (which will be here on Thursday). I want to "calorie cycle"--adjusting my daily calorie intake from day to day, as it seems that works for people. That is why I plan to eat back 50-100% of my calorie burn, to give me a varying intake. I don't exercise on Sundays, so that will probably be my indulgence day for food too.

Like others, upping my calories by 400 or more per day makes me a bit nervous, but it all makes sense. I had been calorie cycling and that helped for awhile. Then I started a 5 to 6 day a week exercise program a couple of weeks ago and have had to estimate the calorie burn. I think I have been underestimating and my calories burned input has been too low, that HRM will be a welcome addition and help me be more accurate! My body fat % has gone from 38.1 to 36.5 in 2 weeks, so though I haven't lost much in total body weight, I am pleased with the progress.

Like others here, I want to stay the course and make a lasting change in how I take care of myself. Thank you to everyone who has shared your story, encouraged and supported me and each other, and gently, respectfully helped with course corrections. Your input and friendship based on this mutual goal is a blessing. That said, if you see a problem with my plan and can find a kind way to share your thoughts, I encourage and welcome your input. Thanks again!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Honestly, quality of food plays a huge role as well. Hair falling out is from malnutrition, not lack of calories if you are still overweight. Upping calories and still eating crap is still unhealthy.

WHAT you eat is important and you're correct, hair loss is from malnutrition, not just lack of calories.

However, the lower your calorie goal, the more difficult it is to get every nutrient you need. The average person doesn't know or doesn't care enough about nutrition to manage it on a low calorie diet. Even under medical supervision (and/or the supervision of a dietitian), most people are just not careful enough on a low calorie diet.

Furthermore, 'eating crap' is... somewhat subjective. Many believe that processed food is automatically bad and therefore 'crap', but its not always. You can meet your basic nutritional needs and stay healthy on processed food. You can eat white flour. You can eat white sugar. You can eat butter and milk and eggs and whatever... and you'll be fine from a nutritional perspective.

You can also meet your basic nutritional needs, of course, by eating clean. You can meet them by excluding that scary white flour from your diet. You can meet them by eating paleo- meat, veggies, some fruits, minimal grains. You can meet them by eating vegetarian.

And so on.

So since there's a million different ways to eat and meet your nutritional needs as long as you've got enough calories in your daily diet to do that.....

Well... when your hair starts falling out and you're feeling like crap, a good way to fix that is simply eat more. Odds are, you'll get the basics in. You can fine-tune later.
    I agree... if your hair falls out, you need to eat more food. Hopefully the health goals of people here go beyond 'be skinny and have hair though', so I wanted to make people aware that if you are having issues like that when extremely CR, then you probably need to reexamine your diet in general. Upping from 1000 calories of low-quality food to 1500 may resolve acute health issues, but is still a recipe for long-term problems.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    I agree... if your hair falls out, you need to eat more food. Hopefully the health goals of people here go beyond 'be skinny and have hair though', so I wanted to make people aware that if you are having issues like that when extremely CR, then you probably need to reexamine your diet in general. Upping from 1000 calories of low-quality food to 1500 may resolve acute health issues, but is still a recipe for long-term problems.
    Exactly right, which is why I now really emphasize the need for a balanced diet rich in fat and protein as well as carbohydrates. Butter is no longer evil! However, neither should it be eaten in excess - as with all things, moderation is key.
    I will probably get nasty comments for this but, whatever.

Isn't eating too much how most of you got here?
    Several people have already answered this comment much as I would have. Many of the people who use MFP are on a journey to educate themselves how to eat. I, like others, grew up not really understanding portion sizes or a balanced diet - least of all the concept of BMR or TDEE. Educating yourself about the science of nutrition is one of the most important elements of adopting a new lifestyle. Open your mind to new ideas and maybe you'll find a grain of happiness in them, like I did. This thread isn't about overeating, it's about figuring out how to eat to attain a healthy rate of weight loss without starving. I hope these responses has helped you to see that.

I appreciate everyone's responses! I'm glad that this thread has helped others to embrace the lifestyle of eating more and eating healthy. That was my whole goal. It's the most liberating thing in the world to reject the diet mentality and embrace nourishing your body at a level many have forgotten or are too afraid to face.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MaynardLD50
    MaynardLD50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    free bumpidity.
  • connorsludge
    connorsludge Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So help me out, I'm very curious about this...

I currently have a goal of 1450 on MFP, plus I tend to eat back most, but not all of my exercise calories. I exercise about 6 days per week and burn an average of 300-400 calories per workout. After two months, I think I've lost about 2 pounds, but with water weight, it's hard to tell. Judging from my clothes, there is no change in size.

Further, I have been exercising and dieting for 18 months. One thing I did was see a nutritionist. She recommended eating more (I was on Weight Watchers and having totally the same problem and losing NOTHING), so I tried 1800-2000 calories. I gained 20 pounds in three and a half months, but I was "eyeballing" my food--not measuring or recording--it's possible I was eating more. I'm not sure, though.

Since this keeps coming up, I'm wondering if I should try it again. What do I have to do? This is what I know:
    BMP=1610
    TDEE=2778

I'm 5'9", 180 lbs, 30 years old, and small-framed. Until a sports injury two years ago, I've been healthy at about 135-140 for most of my adult life. I'm a life-long vegetarian and a pretty clean eater. I have had my thyroid tested and that's not an issue. I seem to baffle both my nutritionist and my doctor, so I'm willing to hear the tips! :)

Thanks!
  • skinnylion
    Options
    So help me out, I'm very curious about this...

I currently have a goal of 1450 on MFP, plus I tend to eat back most, but not all of my exercise calories. I exercise about 6 days per week and burn an average of 300-400 calories per workout. After two months, I think I've lost about 2 pounds, but with water weight, it's hard to tell. Judging from my clothes, there is no change in size.

Further, I have been exercising and dieting for 18 months. One thing I did was see a nutritionist. She recommended eating more (I was on Weight Watchers and having totally the same problem and losing NOTHING), so I tried 1800-2000 calories. I gained 20 pounds in three and a half months, but I was "eyeballing" my food--not measuring or recording--it's possible I was eating more. I'm not sure, though.

Since this keeps coming up, I'm wondering if I should try it again. What do I have to do? This is what I know:
    BMP=1610
    TDEE=2778

I'm 5'9", 180 lbs, 30 years old, and small-framed. Until a sports injury two years ago, I've been healthy at about 135-140 for most of my adult life. I'm a life-long vegetarian and a pretty clean eater. I have had my thyroid tested and that's not an issue. I seem to baffle both my nutritionist and my doctor, so I'm willing to hear the tips! :)

Thanks!
    Well, your first problem is that your BMR is higher than MFP's recommendation of 1450. In the long run that won't be good for you! So the first thing I would do is immediately begin to eat your "sedentary" BMR at bare minumum. I think the weight gain you experienced was probably from "eyeballing". For me, personally, I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat without measuring cups because I am absolutely awful at estimating. I'm going to use Microsoft Excel to calculate your BMR and TDEE at sedentary activity levels just to be more accurate.

Using this website: http://www.free-workout-routines.net/tdee.html

Your BMR = 1613
    Sedentary Activity = 1936
    Sedentary TDEE (including 10% for digestion) = 2130

What that means, is that if you sat on the couch all day and only got up to eat and use the bathroom you would need to eat 2130 calories to maintain your current weight at 180. (So to lose a pound a week doing nothing, you would eat 1630, which is okay because it's above your BMR.)

With 350 calories of exercise calories at 6 times a week, your TDEE increases to
    [(2130)(7)+(350)(6)]/7 = 2430

That's a weekly caloric need of 17,010.
    To lose a pound each week, you should subtract 3,500 from that, which = 1930 calories per day.

So, to lose a pound a week working out 6 days a week, eat 1930 calories every day.
  • connorsludge
    connorsludge Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I think I'll start edging up a bit at a time. I really appreciate your insight. :)
  • skinnylion
    Options
    No problem! Good luck. :)
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    THANKS SOOOO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS. Add me if you want, I may have a ton of questions :embarassed: :frown:
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Well put, thanks for sharing that! I wish MFP was set up better to calculate BMR and now allow the daily goal to dip below that.
    Try these sites:

fat2fitradio.com
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Good luck :-)
    Jen
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    :smile: