Too Many Carbs

Options
Hi to all MFPers. How can I reduce my carb intake and not feel starving all the time? I eat lots of bread so what can I replace it with? Does a massive carb intake slow down your weight loss? Help!

Replies

• saxnviolin
    saxnviolin Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to eat the 'right carbs'- fruits/veggies, vs. eating too many carbs found in bread, pasta,snacks etc. That will make a difference. If you eat every few hours, it should help you feel full. It may take you a week or two to adjust but you will. :-)
  • jaly92
    jaly92 Posts: 91
    Options
    Drinking lots of water can help you feel full, I try to eat once every 2 hours where possible and that fits into my lifestyle but I can see why it won't suit everybody.

You can replace bread with crackers such as Ryvita, I find that Ryvita crackerbread fills me up and is pretty low in cals too but, everyone's different!

Having a big, filling brekkie can stop your hunger outbursts throughout the day too!
  • nathalieturpin
    Options
    I'm the same, I like to eat all the time and need things to keep me full!

Eat more 'wholesome' carbs like rye bread, multi seed brown bread, wholewheat pasta and less starchy potatoes like sweet potatoes.

Also, protein definitely keeps you fuller for longer. Combine carb and protein with a little 'good' fat at every meal. I find this really helps.

Example: Rye bread with humous, halloumi/meat and then slice of avocado.
    Poached egg on toast
    Turkey sandwich with low fat mayo and lettuce.
    Oatcakes with protein group
    Porridge with nuts/seeds/yoghurt + fruit.

Calories are calories, so if you find you eat more carbs because you're always hungry and you think they will fill you up, then you may end up gaining weight.

Protein is definitely key.... you mustn't cut out carbs completely :)
  • yonit1118
    yonit1118 Posts: 15
    Options
    Try substituting lettuce instead of bread for sandwiches. Obviously bread is so much yummier the more you do it the more you get used to it and feel so much lighter. I also substitute mashed cauliflower or sweet potatoes for mashed potatoes.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Replace the carbs with more veggies (you can eat more of those than you can carbs for the same calories) and up your protein and fat and you will feel full.

Whether it will help or not is debatable. For me it did a lot. But then I have a medical condition where carbs are not good.

Carbs are the bodies first source of energy, the backup is converting fat. If you limit the carbs it will convert more fat to meet your energy needs but that is only if you still maintain a calorie deficit. It doesn't matter what your macros are if you are eating more than your body can use.
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi there, i go on a keto diet (low carb) 8-12 weeks before i go on holiday to cut up. i know weight loss is all about calories in v calories out but low carb diets change your hormonal state which helps promote fat loss. (it may not work for everyone as we are all different however this works for me)

Now it all depends how low you want your carb intake to be, for me i have around 50-70 grams per day 5 days of the week and then at a weekend i have a 'carb loading day or 2' where i have around 150-200g of carbs.

Some people cannot function on this amount of carbs however i have a few black coffee throughout the day to help me out, i also only have my cars on a low cab day immediately after weight training (in the form of simple sugars)

\how low carbs are you wanting to go? Do you train?when do you usually have carbs? how many meals do you eat per day?

regards
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How can I reduce my carb intake and not feel starving all the time?

By eating more fat. Assuming you eat enough protein now, less carbs has to mean more fats & oils.

Nuts, seeds, avocado, full fat not lite/diet/lean. These things will fill you up for sure, and more important you won't have "chinese meal syndrome" where your blood sugar crashes two hours later and you're starving again.
  • Lisalovespies
    Options
    I have 3 meals a day but am a typical 'grazer' picking throughout the day. I eat bread or potatoes at each meal but after this post I think i will try to bulk up on veggies and replace bread with ryvita and the like and see if that works.
  • Lisalovespies
    Options
    Thanks for the advice my MFPers I will try some of the suggestions and see how I go.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I use Tumaro's Low Carb tortillas for EVERYTHING! They only have 4 net carbs per tortilla. I use them with sandwich wraps, burritos, I even make healthy chips with them!
  • brsnyder117
    brsnyder117 Posts: 11
    Options
    How can I reduce my carb intake and not feel starving all the time?

I agree with the "more fat" post. Yes mostly good fats, but a couple teaspoons of full fat sour cream can make an omelette or a bowl of chili or even vegetable soup keep you feeling full for hours longer. Well worth the calories (which really aren't that bad).