Why CAN'T you eat whatever you want?? *Little* rant...

Options
124»

Replies

• PurpleStarKatz
    PurpleStarKatz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've got to disagree to an extent. Sure, I probably eat some unhealthy foods, but there are some foods (Like anything fried) that I just cannot eat with acid reflux. I had a really oily pasta last fourth of july, and lets just say I learned my lesson on that. So, there are some things that I /can't/ eat. Not without being physically sick afterwards.
    Now of course, I've been thinking about chocolate chip cookies all day, so am I going to have some? Yeah, I'll probably make some tomorrow. This isn't to say that all bad food I /can't/ eat. But there are some things that I really can't eat with acid reflux. =/
    Though probably I'm one of the outliers that you aren't including in a general statement, and I'll agree that for most people, simple moderation in combination with a healthy diet, some unhealthy foods are okay too.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    For some of us, it's an addiction. It's like telling an alcoholic he can have *just one* beer.

If you think food "addiction" is the same as alcoholism then you have no clue. "Addiction" of food is psychological, not physical. Alcoholism is a physical addiction which can result in withdrawal. The only way food is addictive is through reward pathways but this is true of ANYTHING. This isn't the same as the physical addiction of cocaine, alcohol, and caffeine. Someone might cite dopamine release from sugar but dopamine is a neurotransmitter which mediates psychological dependence. Texting, lifting weights, kissing, sex, running, etc. all release dopamine. Are you going to say you're physically addicted to all these things? Food really isn't physically addictive like alcohol or cocaine. This is why people who insist that "chocolate" or "sugar" is addictive make no sense.

Now, some people will have a harder time getting over these psychological hurdles but we should be careful how we refer to things. Food isn't the same as alcoholism or drug addiction. People just need to learn that the pleasure signals do not need to be constantly on when eating. It's hard to explain because we live in an era where psychological disorders have raised exponentially. This is something I studied a lot in sociology and it has become a problem since everyone thinks they are damaged goods and cannot be culpable for their actions.

Honestly, I offended a plethora of binge eaters already (in a different thread) but I don't feel particularly bad about it. Most people have no idea what the causes of binge eating are. The majority of binge eaters aren't biologically damaged individuals. Anyways, I'm getting off topic but the point is this: people need to stop comparing eating food to actual, physically addicting things such as alcohol. It's absurd.

I agree with some of what you've said, and disagree with other parts, confused with the rest. Is you're argument that unless a substance is physically addictive, it doesn't qualify as an addiction at all? A mental addiction can be "absurd to you", fine, but it's still very real...

Anyone who disputes sugar or refined carbs can't be addicting simply needs to read MORE.

I agree, it's VERY real. And so does the medical community.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of what you've said, and disagree with other parts, confused with the rest. Is you're argument that unless a substance is physically addictive, it doesn't qualify as an addiction at all? A mental addiction can be "absurd to you", fine, but it's still very real...

Yes, to an extent that is my argument. You have to understand that, psychologically, you can become "addicted" to absolutely anything. As such, food is no more addictive than playing hop scotch. Whatever releases dopamines then activates the reward pathway. It's entirely plausible that someone can be addicted to counting grass if it pleases the right parts of the brain. This is entirely different than cocaine or alcohol.

Again, there has to be some level of culpability for people who are "addicted" to food. There are people who can't help it, I recognize this. Some people are legitimately damaged goods. But I am unconvinced that almost all the binge eaters on here are biologically predisposed to binge eating.

Most obese people, it's their fault. Some of them, it's not. But more often than not it is their fault. Restrictive dieting is a major cause of binge eating if I recall correctly. The media perpetuates information, scaring individuals in to not eating stuff instead of properly educating them on how to eat. It shouldn't be, "sugar is toxic" but rather that "sugar is toxic at these doses but it means you can still eat that bowl of ice-cream without ill effects."

Ultimately, flexible dieters are far more successful in losing weight and maintaining it than strict dieters. People need to be educated properly on how to diet and how not to. Currently, the standards are far too restrictive and complicated. It's a headache for people to diet because they gotta eat X amount of meals, this vegetable but not that and then make sure not to eat red meat, etc. etc. It's so much simpler than that. I've watched people around me insist that I'm doing it wrong yet my research, scientific-minded colleagues (Alan Aragon, for example), and results state otherwise. I don't ever feel guilty eating and I can stop eating chocolates at will. I never was able to do that. I used to say, "Wow, I ruined my diet. Let's binge now!" How many people say that? A lot of people on here.
    I see.

I encourage you to do the same.

See what you're doing here? You're being passive-aggressive. As opposed to refuting my claim and helping MFP community by sharing your knowledge, you're just being sarcastic. I'm unsure of what your goal is but it isn't beneficial to the conversation at hand.
    Anyone who disputes sugar or refined carbs can't be addicting simply needs to read MORE.

I agree, it's VERY real. And so does the medical community.

How is it anymore addicting than playing videos or having sex? And the medical community, unfortunately, is more than happy to remove culpability from individuals. Then again, the medical community also suggested that 6 meals a day is superior to 3, saturated fats are bad, sugar is toxic, late night eating makes you fat, refined carbohydrates are detrimental, and so forth. Yet, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, that these allegations are simply not true. The medical community gets it wrong quite often because their personal agendas interfere. There is no SOUND scientific basis (meaning they using incredibly shaky studies to prove their point) to most of what the medical community suggests in the dieting world.

So just because the medical community says something doesn't make it true. Similarly, just because I say something doesn't make it true either. More than anything, I encourage people to be intrigued by what I say then look into it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm right. People take information at face value far too often. That's the only reason why I started teaching myself anything.
  • ssforcey
    ssforcey Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Pizza I can control easy - make it once in a while and deliciously homemade.
    I can eat a whole box of granola bars in one sitting though xD did it with fiber one bars once. BAD idea xD
    [/quote]

I CAN'T IMAGINE what eating a whole box of fiber one bars did to/for you! OMG.
  • vixeybell
    vixeybell Posts: 2
    Options
    My opinion is my opinion. Don't let it ruin your day.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I see it both ways :

I can't eat what my family eats. I swear, my children and husband wouldn't touch vegetables if they were made of chocolate. All four of them have dessert every night, and french fries, etc etc. Good for them, they don't need to change, but I do. I can't eat what they eat - all the time - because that is how I got 60 pounds overweight.

However....

Hubby and I have date night, I eat french fries with a friend 1x a week, and I eat granola bars, chocolate, and so much more. I'm not dead. There isn't any food totally off my list except whipped cream. It's a lifestyle change, not death, as one poster put it. I want to go out with my husband once a week and have a fabulous 3,000 calorie meal. NOT eating what my family eats, for the most part, allows me to do that.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Exactly! Eat in moderation. If it fits your macros!! :)
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    truth indeed. I ate chocolate pudding for dessert today. i felt like it. moderation and smaller portions. when you restrict yourself you are most likely to binge eat also. as I stopped restricting myself and finding freedom in eating what I want I am much better for it
  • bradshaws
    bradshaws Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yup! I just had a 6" garlic fingers for dinner. I'm still under cals by almost 200. You just plan and move things around that day. I have a cheat day every week and it's usually either garlic fingers or McDonalds. Been on here since May 10th and I've lost 4 pounds! You just need to have good/decent days as well :)
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want. I also make modifications to eating things I hadn't planned to eat, the biggest one being that I eat a smaller portion of it. I refuse to eliminate anything because if I did I'd feel deprived, and once I felt that way I'd just throw the whole lifestyle change out the window.

A few extra calories here and there is a much better and more realistic option than severe restrictions.
  • blasiansrus
    blasiansrus Posts: 151
    Options
    THIS.
    I had 3 cupcakes the other day because I was at a barbecue for one of my classes (and cookies & a healthy-version brownie I baked...heh). All I had to eat from breakfast until after 5pm that day was food at that barbecue & there was no healthy or pescatarian-friendly foods. Was it the healthiest thing to do? No. Do I regret having a few cupcakes? Not at all. It'd been months since I had one & that was a day to enjoy myself.
    That day won't be throwing off my journey at all & neither will a treat or "unhealthy" meal every now and then with your family or friends
    Everything in moderation. (and yes, I do know that wasn't very moderate, but I don't have huge treats most days)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    *Climbs on soapbox*

It's frustrating to read posts where people are saying "I can't eat what my friends eat" or "I can't eat what my family eats". Why not? If this is truly a lifestyle change for you (which it should be) you need to learn how to not only eat healthier but ALSO account for the unexpected.

EVERYTHING is okay....in moderation! So it's not about what you CAN'T eat, it's about how you CAN eat everything! Deprivation will lead to binging and failure. Make it a real life change and teach yourself how to do this thing for the long haul!

Thank you.

*Climbs off soapbox*

I was amazed. We went to chinese buffet after church today. I purposely avoided the rice, fried rice, and lo mein...but ate a little of everything else that I wanted. Managed to do it for WAY under calories and carbs for the day. Totally satisfied and proud that I was able to do it and I'm not sure the family even noticed that I ate differently than normal!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    *Climbs on soapbox*

It's frustrating to read posts where people are saying "I can't eat what my friends eat" or "I can't eat what my family eats". Why not? If this is truly a lifestyle change for you (which it should be) you need to learn how to not only eat healthier but ALSO account for the unexpected.

EVERYTHING is okay....in moderation! So it's not about what you CAN'T eat, it's about how you CAN eat everything! Deprivation will lead to binging and failure. Make it a real life change and teach yourself how to do this thing for the long haul!

Thank you.

*Climbs off soapbox*

Very True
  • Rockontoothpicks
    Options
    I think everyone has their own goals and paths to that goal. My girlfriend and I choose not to eat certain foods not to punish us or anything because the foods we used to eat were fried, unhealthy and filled with too many calories. Sure I could eat a handful of fries or maybe half a fast food burger but for that 600-700 calories I would rather use them on something healthier and more filling.
    My way isn't right but right for me. Your way isn't wrong just not one for me at this time. I am out to lose weight (short term) but live a long healthy life (long term)
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think this is very true.

I however do have to complete take some things out for a while. Because I just go over board to easy.
    Granola bars, cereal, and such are those products. I don't crave if I just don't eat them. Whatever works for you ^-^

I can do the SAME thing with granola bars. haha The Chewy Chocolate Chip ones? Yeah, I have to wait until they fit in my calories to have like 6 at a time.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I REALLY can't eat what I want to eat and in order to finish my weight loss journey,

What the OP is getting at is you NEVER finish your weight loss journey. You just plateau at the weight where you are satisfied.

If you're thinking, "I'll deprive myself until I reach my goal, then I'll be able to eat xyz food," you're setting yourself up to regain the weight. You have to calculate xyz food into your diet. If over time you lose interest in xyz because you'd rather use the calories on something else, great, but your plan has to reflect your current reality.

If a single portion of Oreos is an entire package for you, then you should start "banking" extra calories by eating under your goal or exercising extra, until you have enough calories to eat an entire package. Of course, by the time you have enough calories "saved up" to eat a package of Oreos, you may decide other things are more important to you than gaining back that extra 2/3 lb you lost by avoiding eating those 2400 calories.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    To some degree I've just changed what I "want". The only thing I've "given up" is sweets. I had a piece of cake at a wedding in March and a desert at a banquet in April. Apart from that, the sweet things aren't on my "want list" at the moment. When they do get reintroduced, perhaps at maintenance time, they will have to fit in the calories for the day.

ETA: a lot of sweet things are just crap food - they won't be reintroduced at ANY point....
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    In order to plateau at the weight I want, I have to give up a lot of my favorite foods like bread. My body's idea of a happy weight and my idea of one are about 10-15 pounds off, and those pounds seem to come in carb form.