Dream job vs actual job.

Options

Replies

• kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Current job...SAHM to a 7 and 8 yr old
    Dream job..living in CA working in the TV industry
    realistic job in the future...back to HR/recruiting (8 yrs exp.)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Actual job: Desk Job

Dream job: Rock Star
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    actual job veterinary tech
    dream job --- to be a lazy bum who has money and can spend my life on the beach with a fishing pole in my hand oh yea and to be able to indulge in my love for history and reading
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I don't actually have a "dream job". I wouldn't mind owning a used bookstore, though I'd spend all day just sitting around smelling books because I love the scent, so that probably wouldn't be that productive.

My current "job" is staying at home with my kiddo and being a student going into nursing. I loved being a CNA, so a nurse is the next logical step. I'm sure I'll enjoy that career plenty.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Dream job when I was 12 = Solicitor.
    Current job aged 25 = self-employed Adjudicator.

I'll take that. The self-employed part especially. It means I can skulk off to museums without feeling guilty. And I've ended up as an equal to a LOT of people I have the upmost respect for. I've no idea how it happened, but I'm not complaining in the least, lest they find out I'm really just a child who likes metal and trains!
  • barkyface
    barkyface Posts: 2
    Options
    My dream job is probably trying to find the area where PR and HR meet.
    My actual job is a communications and PR job. So I'm getting there, I'd just like more HR!
  • MereExtraordinaire
    MereExtraordinaire Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Actual job: animal control officer.
    Dream job: professional musician, maybe a pianist or a singer?

So they're two completely different jobs, but hey, if the sky's the limit here ...
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    My actual job is scheduling GI procedures at the VA hospital. I like helping veterans and like the people I work with. I just can't keep up with all of my responsibilities I have in my job and my boss keeps telling me I need to get some work done, but there just isn't enough time in a day.

My dream job is to be a photographer. I love taking pictures. But, financially can't afford it.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Dream job: IT Service Desk Business Manager. Later though, SAHM
    Actual job: IT Service Desk Team Leader
  • TaniaMcCormick
    TaniaMcCormick Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Dream job: writer!

Actual job: Professional freelance writer. Lovin' it!

My husband also has his dream job, college professor; he has lots of students who want to be writers. He tells them, "My wife is a writer. She makes good money now, but she spent 10 years making starvation wages before it built into a real career. You have to be prepared for 10 years of hard work for no real return."

What led me here? Stress. I had a consulting job. I hated consulting. My husband said, "You need a hobby. Why don't you write something?" So I wrote something. And sold it. And wrote something else, and sold it. And wrote something else and sold that. And kept doing that until I had enough work to quit my other jobs. And then got a little lucky and landed some good contracts.

It's a job, and it has its ups and downs, but I wouldn't trade it.

I would love to make a living writing, but I don't know how to start selling.. :)
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Dream Job - A&E doctor.
    More likely job - teaching, writing, acting on the side.
    Current job - Waitressing while studying. Although being promoted to Sommelier would be good! :)
  • gwmedicgod
    gwmedicgod Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have had the great Pleasure of working My dream Job for the last 13 yrs as a Paramedic...
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have had the great Pleasure of working My dream Job for the last 13 yrs as a Paramedic...

I still think I'd love to be a paramedic.

*sigh*
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Actual jobs-server, nanny, retail worker and personal trainer
    Dream job-special ed teacher(:

I was a special ed teacher for 17 years - LOVED It!!!!!!!! :)
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Actual job: elementary school teacher
    Dream job: teacher but without all the paperwork, micro management, and standardized testing.

What drew me: making a difference in the lives of others. I have incredible job satisfaction because of my students.
  • nannanorem
    nannanorem Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Actual Job: LPN in long term care
    Dream Job: RN in something other than long term care
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Actual job - Almost-art historian (not quite through with my PhD yet)
    Dream job - Trophy wife. Seriously.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    dream job = actual job :)

although today I spent a good portion of my day giving a bath to a mountain lion.... hrmmmm.......
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Dream job: Billionaire playboy philanthropist
    Actual job: Superhero
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am an art therapist, and for a long time, my dream was to be an art therapist.

I wanted to do this because I didn't like the game-playing/*kitten*-kissing and uncertainty that came with being an artist...And I loved and was fascinated with the idea of helping people through art-making.

I feel very blessed to have found my passion. I am in private practice (also a dream) and want to someday have a place that has a small art gallery in front, an art-making space in back, and a consultation room in the back as well. Ideally, it would be on the front of my house (I want to buy an old house with a front porch and convert, someday!)

So, even when you have found and attained your dream job, there is still room to grow and learn. Life is awesome!