What's your resting heart rate?

Options
I had to attend the ER last week where a nurse taking my obs asked whether I had ever been told I had a low resting heart rate. I hadn't and asked her what it was.

after telling me that the 'normal' range was 60-80 beats per minute, she said mine was just 50 bpm!

I said that I was fairly fit and she "obviously!"

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Heart rate has a fitness correlation, but a large part of it is genetic, and is set by your sympathetic nervous system and pacemaker on your heart. It's cued by blood pressure, blood volume, blood concentration, and other body functions, so lower heart rates don't always mean healthy, and higher ones don't always mean unhealthy.

Not saying you're unhealthy, but it's sometimes misleading to just go by heart rate as a barometer for fitness level. Mine is around 65.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    65 to 68
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the additional information, LilRedRooster. By way of background, my heart rate was in the high 80s before I lost weight and got fitter.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    usually 82-84 is mine...
  • Lovely_Doll
    Lovely_Doll Posts: 72
    Options
    76 BPM. :p
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Mine is 70 going up to around 120 during exercise. Athletes can be low as 50.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    mine is exactly 60, which is not too shabby....
  • AmandaLAcosta
    Options
  • Antjebeth08
    Antjebeth08 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    72 bpm
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Around 45.

Low resting heart rate runs in my family.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    my resting heart rate was 85ish when i started working out and now i have got it down to around 65ish.
  • ashielovesdashie88
    Options
    mine is 50-55 bpm and i haven't been really active due to an injury for about a month now....wonder if i should see the doctor or if i'm okay.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    At 400 + pounds, my resting heartrate was between 110 and 120. At 231 lbs, my resting is between 55 and 65. Even a doctor's office visit (had one on Friday) has my heartrate at 68, and that's after walking into the office and stressing over the appointment. Edited to say that, while working out, I range from 135-155, depending on what I'm doing and where I want it to be.

Kris
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, 170-ish pounds and am quite active. My resting varies around 66-77... When I'm maxing out on the trails I bike through, I will be at 164. When I weighed more my bpm was higher during strenuous activities (170's).

Just depends on the person as well as all those factors Lilredrooster pointed out.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    mines low too, 48-53 bpm....my blood pressure is crazy low too. i was actually worried about it and tracked it for a while...but read that some people are just fine like this. in others it can mean organ failure! crazy, different bodies.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Mine ranges between 52-56. Max has gone to 144.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Usually it's around 40 when I wake up. If I take a rest day and sleep well it has been as low as 36.
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Mine was 56 three months ago and is now 46. According to the treadmill it has been as high as 195, but that's only the hand sensor and I don't really trust those.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is 90 bpm
  • amolina0810
    amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Mine is around 50-60. Going up to about 150-160 when I run!!