Vegeterian packed lunches

Options
All4You
All4You Posts: 26 Member
What does everyone take into work?

we only have a kettle so unfortunatly cant take soups like I used too.

Ideallly meals I can make up the night before as mornings are rather hectic

Replies

• hightopps
    hightopps Posts: 26
    Options
    One of my recent favorites is a fresh salsa, guacamole, and black beans. I either use lettuce (don't laugh! it's good) or chips.

I also like veggies covered in marinara sauce and nutritional yeast, or with hummus.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    get one of those mug warmers, its like a hot plate that you set a mug on or a plug in thermos and that can warm up your soup(itll take quite a while though.
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    - grilled zucchini with yogurt, mint and red pepper flakes
    - roasted potatoes with salsa and a bit of cheese
    - stuffed tomatoes with black beans and rice
    - pasta with canned tomatoes, tofu and red pepper flakes
    - rice with vegetable and tofu, cooked in a bit of olive oil and hot and sour sauce
    stuff like that which i prepare from night before. they are usually ok to eat cold.
  • Andwynn
    Andwynn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We have a microwave, so reheated pasta or rice is good for me, if not helpful to you. :-P

My kids take packed lunch to school, we tend to go through:
    * sandwich - cheese+tomato, jam or marmalade (we quite like the stuff made with fruit juice instead of sugar), egg mayo (although they get grumbles from classmates for that!), or chocolate spread (no nuts, as allergies in school). Bread, roll, or wrap.
    * fruit - we've learnt that bananas and soft fruit are /not/ good to take, as they get bashed and mushy. Apples get nibbled around and not eaten! But child2 loves kiwi fruit, and child1 likes plums and pears, if they aren't mushy.
    * dried fruit - the normal raisins, sultanas + currants, plus dried mango, apple, prunes, figs and dates.
    * cheese - child1 likes cheesestrings, as they're not allowed babybels any more
    * a treat - biscuit or homemade cake or similar.

Probably not as low-cal as you would want, as I don't try to do anything other than feed them healthy-but-what-they-like (better they eat something not 100% good for them than go hungry), but hope it may trigger some ideas for you.
  • fels123
    fels123 Posts: 44
    Options
    Celery and salsa with a pack of oatcakes and a couple of satsumas. You can also take a frozen alpro soya dessert pot, they're delicious and still cool by lunchtime if it needs to defrost (like it would make it to lunchtime when it's so yummy frozen :P).
  • rumpusparable
    rumpusparable Posts: 160
    Options
    Instant cup-of-soup style miso soup packages (be careful to make sure the ones you get are veggie, some have fish flavoring).
    Baggies of apples, grapes, cherries or a few tangerines.
  • rumpusparable
    rumpusparable Posts: 160
    Options
    Oh, also a container of tvp makes for a nutritious and very filling snack.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    LOVE taking pita chips and homemade garlic hummus. It's always a treat to me at lunch!
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I make salads a lot of the time. Also Veggie wraps are good. Bake potato also. Red beans and rice with salsa.
  • Lillyeatslillies
    Options
    I don't like the smells of microwave food in the office so I opt for a lot of cold lunches
    *cottage cheese and fruit
    * Hummus, veggies, and whole wheat crackers
    *Chips and salsa (beware)
    *Veggie sandwiches
    *Pre-made salads
  • twirlinggirl
    Options
    Sandwiches are easy and very flexible. The website thekitchn.com tends to have great ideas! I have a few that I make frequently:
    -- veggie sandwich w/ hummus or with pesto and roasted red pepper
    -- sharp cheddar or mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, pesto
    --goat cheese, beets, mixed greens

Even more than sandwiches, I like to make grain salads! Some ideas:
    --farro w/ roasted veggies
    --cold soba noodles w/ tofu, veggies, in a soy/sesame oil/rice vinegar dressing
    -- brown rice, beans, salsa, guac, and roasted tomatoes and corn
    --feta, quinoa, cherry tomatoes, cucumber for a modified tabbouleh

Anything you put on a sandwich, you can make into a yummy salad! Plus they last longer and don't get soggy.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I take a massive salad every day. Yummy and takes a whole to eat which I like.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    -flatout light wrap
    -fresh habeneros
    -fresh serranos
    -shredded carrots
    -cucumbers
    -spinach
    - light peppercorn ranch
    - horseradish sauce
    - HOT sauce
    - on occasion , corn, peas, or broccoli
    roll it up and toast it or eat it cold with lettuce and cheese
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Would your workplace be receptive to you providing a cheap microwave oven? For the small outlay it might be worth it to you.
  • bununu
    bununu Posts: 12
    Options
    I just made the following tomato sandwich --

2 slices whole wheat bread
    hummus smear
    horseradish smear
    tomato slices

salt and pepper liberally!
  • masot98
    masot98 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    today i went to the library to study and i packed myself a tofurky bologna sandwich with 1.50oz of land o lakes 2% american cheese, on a 100 calorie arnold thin! who would have known the thins have 4gs of protein!!! I also had fresh watermelon and pineapple :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Veggie sandwiches: hummus, avocado, cucumbers, shredded carrots and pea shoots or maybe bean sprouts.

Taco salad: black beans, avocado, some shredded cheese, salsa, maybe some corn and few tortilla chips.

pasta salads, quesadillas made before, eat cold?