Exercising Alleviates Cramps

Options
(sorry gentleman)

I have pretty wicked cramps when aunt flo is visiting.
Instead of curling up in a ball on the couch with a heating pad and taking Midol like PEZ... I went hiking...

I felt great for almost two hours following the hike and it really didn't affect me during.

Does this happen with any other ladies?
Are there exercises that help alleviate cramps specifically?

Thanks!

Replies

• lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I tried that long ago with no results, but I'm glad it works for you!

The only thing that ever helped me was boatloads of ibuprofen. The day I went on the Pill was a great day for me!
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me. I've tried curling up, heating pad, walking/exercising, advil, midol, etc... The only thing that works when they get bad is a muscle relaxer. It's a muscle that needs to relax lol. Works faster and longer than the max dose of motrin/advil. Not sure why people don't use it more often. (My gyn was nice enough to prescribe it)
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Yep, works for me! So when I was 13, and would go to the school nurse (who was also my mom) to get a note excusing me from gym, she would NEVER do it... and now I know why. Ahh, lessons learned...
  • Asiral
    Asiral Posts: 133
    Options
    I have heard that this helps, but during that time, I cant bring myself to move, let alone workout. UGH!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    What's even better is having an orgasm. Really alleviates the cramps.

But I guess if you don't want to do that you can go for a hike.
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've had walking help some...but just today I discovered how much worse biking can make cramps! OUCHHH
  • ebonyrose316266
    ebonyrose316266 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've heard exercise helps so today I did Yoga. I think it helped. It's not so bad anyway(staying away from dairy).
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Yep, it works for me. I think mostly cardio helps the most. Even a walk does it.
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It helps mine! I haven't had to pop a midol since I started exercising.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Light exercise alleviates the lesser cramps for me but takes so much energy from me that I end up 10 times worse when I finish. Some stretching cane help will you are doing it but after it goes back to terrible again. The only way I can get through mine is sleep. I can't possible go to sleep with the pain so I smoke a small amount of weed and that does the trick :) Obviously I can't do that every day though! I would be a mess. lol. I just do that on the worst two days. It is the only time I can smoke it and not go crazy paranoid. So yea, probably not the healthiest of options but I had had enough of blacking out, vomiting and other nasty things once a month.
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    What's even better is having an orgasm. Really alleviates the cramps.

But I guess if you don't want to do that you can go for a hike.

I've tried that one, too... Makes it worse. Just like it makes my headaches worse (though I'd never use that as an excuse).
  • hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    It helps me!