Shirataki (miracle) noodle question

Options
sweetnlow30
sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
I am interested in trying shirataki noodles but I am wondering if they would go mushy and soft if I used them as a replacement for pasta in a chicken soup. I am trying to lower my carbs where I can, but I am not being too strict about it. I usually make a big batch of soup and I eat it for lunch for about 4 days. Would the shirataki keep well in a liquid for that long and would they go soft it they were simmered in a soup? There is nothing worse than overly soft pasta and I wouldn't like the texture if these did the same thing. What are your experiences with cooking shirataki noodles?

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No they do not go mushy. In fact, they have the consistency of rubber bands. Not joking. And they taste like what I would expect a minnow bucket to taste like if I could stand getting that close to one.

Try one bag and don't ruin your entire supper by putting them in. Maybe just make the soup then take one serving and add the "noodles" to.

I personally think they are so foul tasting and texture wise that I would never buy them again. But to each their own. I recommend CarbaNada noodles. You can get them at some stores or on Amazon. Those are real pasta and not yam bean.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I liked them. Rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse them first.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    While good, they look the same going in as they do coming out if you catch my drift! Be warned!
  • 115perfection
    115perfection Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    They're 2 dollars per package, may aswell just try it out!
  • Arctic_Blonde
    Arctic_Blonde Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading Wheat Belly and Shirataki noodles were recommended because they have no effect on blood sugar, which is important to me. So they taste like minnows and have the consistency of rubber bands? Oh boy oh boy! Yummy! So where do I buy some? I haven't seen them at Thrifty's or Quality Foods or Country Grocer. I'll have to try them once!! : )
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I like the tofu shiraitaki noodles much more for soups and pastas, they taste and have a mouth-feel of real pasta. I still buy the regular shiraitake pasta though. Make sure you rinse them and it completely removes the original funky smell. It's not that bad really though, the people complaining are just whiny lol. I'm not picky if I get to have my 0 cal pasta and eat it too, lol :)
  • trishbadgett
    Options
    Hungry Girl has some great receipes.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    they will not go mushy, rinse well then I boil mine for 1 minute before adding to soups or dry fry for 8 mnutes if using with sauces.
  • ashley67203
    ashley67203 Posts: 95
    Options
    I think they would work fine. Just cut them up small before adding them because they tend to tangle up into a ball in dishes like that. They come packed in water so they should have no problem retaining their texture in broth.

The store by my house has two different kinds labeled as shirataki and yam. The shirataki have to be rinsed to remove the fishy smell but the plain yam noodles don't smell like anything. They both have something like 4 calories and 0 carbs a bag and texture wise they are the same. I'd recommend the yam ones for this recipe if you can find them.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    finallychelle (FMP member) does a lot with these, if you follow her instructions, you can't go wrong!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536767-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles

she also has a blog ~
  • sweetnlow30
    Options
    Thanks! I am not an overly fussy eater and I am going to give them a try. Now to find a store that carries them:wink:
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Options
    A couple of different ways I prepare the shirataki noodles and seems each way yields a different noodle texture.
    My favorite simple way is: :empty the Miracle Noodles into a colander, drain the water, boil for about 1 min. pat dry with a small hand towel or paper towel and sometimes cut the noodles into smaller pieces. Then, I add the noodles to my favorite soups, sauces or stir frys but only at the end. I allways add the noodles at the end of preparation process, because they are cooked already. Heating them too long can change the texture. You can have delicious soups and dishes with the noodles as a pasta substitute without the calories or carbs and I found them delicious and easy to make!
  • sweetnlow30
    Options
    Does anyone know if Metro (Canada) carries these? We don't have any Asian stores in my city. The closest thing would be a large aisle at Metro or specialty foods at the Bulk Barn. I am going to have to look around