Just starting............sigh.........

Options
My brother has been using this site for several months and has lost a lot of weight so I thought I'd give it a try. Weightwatcher's hasn't done anything for me and I'm very frustrated. I'd like to lose about 25-30 lbs within 6 mos if possible.

My name is Jill, I live in MI and I "used" to weight 98 lbs. Then menopause hit and I've gained about 45 lbs in the last 10 yrs. I'm finding that I have aches where I shouldn't have and I'm having a hard time getting in and out of my kayak. And........none of my clothes fit me. UGH!!! :sad:

So, I'll be around looking for support and offering it if possible. Glad I found this.:happy:

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the best site EVER... you will really enjoy it! Good luck :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Do not look at losing weight as a daunting task! Think of it as a new hobby and a brand new start! So you have a few pounds to shed! Who cares! You can do it. Having a goal date is nice but do not get discouraged. Set mini goals if you do not reach them seek out to our message boards for advice. Our bodies will do odd things while trying to lose weight sometimes a change of routine will drop a couple extra pounds! Do not be discouraged but encouraged! You have gained a new family here online!
  • qoe100
    qoe100 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks, Beth & Alicia. I'm thinking that having other peeps online to do this with will be a huge help for me. I appreciate your responses.
  • bethany_jurries
    Options
    Thanks, Beth & Alicia. I'm thinking that having other peeps online to do this with will be a huge help for me. I appreciate your responses.

I keep in touch with a couple girls here every week on our work out days and periodically through the week! it is exciting and nice to know someone is going to check up on me so I better be working out! Good Luck to you!!! God Bless this journey in your life! You can do it!
  • Hope42009
    Options
    totally agree with you. i am also looking for support system. i have joint pain and back pain which shouldn't be there. but then again i gained 60 pounds in almost three years.. looking to lose about 50. don't think i can get down to my high school 135 lb lol so im shooting for 145
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!! You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Hi QOE! Your first step was admitting you want to lose weight :flowerforyou: I went from 189 pounds to 172.8 (I weigh myself every 15th of the month). Here are MY tips for you:

Drink 64 oz of water daily; work out 3 days a week for 30 minutes. Take your vitamins/supplements, talk to your doctor before exercising/dieting, use extra virgin olive oil (this is yummy to dip wheat bread when you make your wheat spaghetti); speaking of "wheat" eat wheat products: bread, spaghetti, cereal, etc., eat fruits and veggies, snack on "any" type of nut (walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds are best), drink skim/soy milk, eat yogurt, eat fish/chicken/turkey/lean meats, have salads WITHOUT dressing (ask for extra virgin olive oil @ restaurants/use at home), stay away from POPS/SODAS (drink diet sodas/pops once a day if not, once a week), don't eat "fried foods" (french fries, potato chips, etc), try eating Baked Lays, air popped popcorn, buy a pizza stone ($29.99) and you can create your own delicious home made pizzas with Boboli wheat pizza crust (already made); veggies to your hearts content, one can of refried beans (protein), one can of whole kernel corn (drained), and lite mozzarella cheese...yum! You can eat the Oreda crinkle cut fries that you bake in the oven, stay away from the salt shaker, stay AWAY from processed foods, foods made with hydrogenated oils (cookies, cakes, pies, etc). For dessert you can eat a skinny cow chocolate w/peanut butter ice cream sandwich....yummy!

Stop eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep. I learned from Oprah's Boot Camp you have to STOP eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep because your metabolism shuts down (as everything does when you're in a REM (rapid eye movement).

Go to www.prevention.com. They have yummy reicpes and is another souce of website for motivation. Did you know that if you pay for your subscription to Prevention they give you a free pedometer? One should walk/step 10,000 steps daily. Check them out! They have a free website w/the magazine there in front of you in case you can't suscribe just yet.

Don't drink COFFEE. Drink Chai black/green tea instead. Chew gum all day. It keeps your mouth "busy". I've also heard/learned that before you eat a meal eat your soup first since it helps fill you up before the main course.

Please, please, please weigh yourself "monthly". I swear (Eva crossing her finger and doing a "cross" by her :heart: ) you WILL lose 3-4 pounds every month. If you do the "math" that's THE average of 1 pound a week. This helps you from NOT getting discouraged IF, if, you weigh yourself daily/weekly as alot of women in this site tend to do (weigh themselves daily/weekly and then get discouraged and give up on dieting/exercising).

Thirty minutes before you work out eat one of the following (check out the OR), one apple, OR one small box of raisins with a handful of walnuts, OR soup, OR yogurt. Why? "They are packed with high-quality carbohydrates, which provide a quick source of fuel for your muscles, but they have just enough protein and fat to help you maintain a steady, elevated energy level" (source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

AFTER your work out, drink a protein shake (Slimfast, Special K, EAS Myoplex, etc). Why? "After a workout, your muscles need protein to repair microscopic muslce tears, plus another shot of carbs to help restock energy stores. Cyclists who drank it after a tough racing session had improved endurance and recovered fast than those who drank an ordinary sports drink (which supplies carbs and electrolytes, but no protein)" (Source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

Stay away from alcoholic drinks (includes wine).

Set small goals for right now. Start with the FIRST 10 pounds. If you work out and eat right (the first month WITHOUT cheating), you'll lose 5-6 pounds (mainly water retention weight) because you are flushing your body (detoxing). THEN the weight will be HARDER to lose. Remember, it's soooo easy to gain the weight, but hard to lose it. "No pain, no gain!" No worries if the weight is harder to lose since it means that it is time to "up" your exercise regimen (1 hour 3-4 days a week). When you've lost the weight, then you can go "up" to 1,500 calories (maybe for the last stubborn 10 pounds). If you closely watch "THE BIGGEST LOSER" they have to lose more than 50 pounds; their calorie intake is 1,000-1,100. Wow! Bless their :heart: for doing that!!!

If you want more "tips" let me know as you know how to reach me. Blessings and good luck!

Eva
  • qoe100
    Options
    Thanks, Eva!!! No wine????:sad: I'll definitely check out that web site you mentioned.

I do have a problem with diet drinks. I drink a LOT of caffeine free diet coke/pepsi. Yikes, no wine or diet coke? Somebody just shoot me!!!
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Thanks, Eva!!! No wine????:sad: I'll definitely check out that web site you mentioned.

I do have a problem with diet drinks. I drink a LOT of caffeine free diet coke/pepsi. Yikes, no wine or diet coke? Somebody just shoot me!!!

LOL, you'll live I promise! Statistics indicate that if you drink a Diet Coke a week you'll lose 5 pounds in a year (I watch alot of World News Tonight :wink: This isn't bad for you to drink a Diet Coke once a week; start with once a DAY; esp for dinner...think of it as your reward for being a good girl all day. Give yourself a month, just a month and see how you are doing. If the weight comes off (it will, because you'll lose the water you retained) then it will give you willpower....the willpower to continue to be strong, assertive w/your dieting/exercise regimen. I tell ya ladies, it's so easy to gain the weight, and so hard to lose it. I'm living proof! Water is the answer and 64 oz a day, too, don't forget. Also, this may gross you out but here goes! (Even Dr. Oz mentioned this on Oprah's show before he got his OWN show): When you finish peeing turn around and look at the toilet water. IF, if, the pee color is the same as the color of the water, then you are drinking plenty of water. IF, IF, the pee color is dark in color with a strong odor, then you are not drinking enough water :wink: BTW I worked out yesterday during my lunch hour (power walked 3 miles; ran the last 10-20 yards at every lap). I'm so proud of myself!! (Eva patting herself on her back).

Blessings!

Eva
  • qoe100
    Options
    WTG, Eva!!! I like the way you think and I'm HUGE on rewarding myself for good behavior so I'll definitely do the diet soda reward for awhile til I get used to drinking lots of water. Thanks, again!!!
  • bethany_jurries
    Options
    Just be careful with diet soda it is a bad thing to get stuck on! It is unhealthy and can help you gain weight! Do research. I started a post on here about diet pop look it up. There is a lot of good tips on there! Good Luck!
  • dawnkoselleck
    dawnkoselleck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just learned at a recent conference that it is the caloric restriction that causes the weight lose and then exercise will help maintain the weight loss. Keeping track of what you eat is critical to the success for weight loss. In addition, if you skip breakfast-don't. Eat more of a protein based diet as it has been shown to have more weight loss than carbohydrate based breakfast. If you do skip breakfast, you will just eat more later in the day and over eat at night. Ideally, you want to eat about 300-400 calories 6x per day to maintain your metabolic rate. Not eating will only slow this down. Hope this is helpful :)
  • qoe100
    Options
    Hi Dawn,
    Yes, I've been guilty of not eating breakfast so I'm hearing ya!!! I bought some Oatmeal To Go Bars (which I love) and am now eating them for breakfast. Thanks for the info.
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    WTG, Eva!!! I like the way you think and I'm HUGE on rewarding myself for good behavior so I'll definitely do the diet soda reward for awhile til I get used to drinking lots of water. Thanks, again!!!

YW :wink: Blessings!

Eva
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Hi Dawn,
    Yes, I've been guilty of not eating breakfast so I'm hearing ya!!! I bought some Oatmeal To Go Bars (which I love) and am now eating them for breakfast. Thanks for the info.

I use to skip breakfast, too. So I've got a BETTER breakfast meal. I do this M-F before heading off to work. Buy large very green bananas (by the bulk since they are cheap). Store in room temperature. Set aside ripe bananas for a day or two (see recipe below). Freeze banana slices in zip lock storage bags.

Add 8 oz skim milk, a couple of tablespoons of low fat plain vanilla yogurt (with live cultures), and frozen banana slices in your blender. Blend together and pour into large glass, garnish w/a strawberry, and use a straw. It will be thick, yummy, and you SWEAR you are drinking a vanilla shake :happy:

I'll NEVER skip breakfast again! Over the weekend I'll have a bowl of "fiber" cereal (Raisin bran, Fiber One, etc).

*Note: The live culture yogurt helps with your digestive system; esp if women suffer from bladder infections. Don't believe me? LOL, Google it!

Blessings!

Eva
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    I just learned at a recent conference that it is the caloric restriction that causes the weight lose and then exercise will help maintain the weight loss. Keeping track of what you eat is critical to the success for weight loss. In addition, if you skip breakfast-don't. Eat more of a protein based diet as it has been shown to have more weight loss than carbohydrate based breakfast. If you do skip breakfast, you will just eat more later in the day and over eat at night. Ideally, you want to eat about 300-400 calories 6x per day to maintain your metabolic rate. Not eating will only slow this down. Hope this is helpful :)

Dawn is right. In a sense. Staticts indicate if you drink a diet soda once a week you will lose 5 pounds in a year. I myself, drink a Diet Coke, once a day as my "reward" w/my "sensible meal" for dinner. I am living proof as I have lost 16.2 pounds. My weigh in day is on the 15th of Oct (TR) and I can't wait! Eva doing a jig :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Welcome home qoe100, this is a great place and may you always feel comfortable here!!! I know what your saying when you talk menopause, it truly sucks doesn't it!! I am now using Body Logic M.D hormone therapy and after 6 months feel like my life is coming back together! I wish you the best in your weight loss journey!