Am I doomed to cry....every single time?

Options

Replies

• thekacers
    thekacers Posts: 68
    Options
    Chewing gum while cutting onions works for me!
    When I have to peel an onion? :sad: I have tried every single myth, old wives tale, you name it that I have ever heard and still the tears fall down. What are some of the dumbest things you've done to keep the tears at bay while peeling onions?
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    If I manage to breath through my mouth and not through my nose at all, I don't cry. Which is harder than you might think without the aid of a clothespin..
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I find it a lot easier if i make sure to breathe through my mouth and not my nose while chopping. :)
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I get my hands wet and cut near the faucet running water...hot water in the faucet works best. Whatever in the onion that is attracted to the moisture in your eyes, will head for the water instead. It works for me every time.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Use Vidalia onions. They have more sugar and a lot less sulfur. The sulfur fumes are what burns your eyes. I have never cut into a vidalia that burned my eyes. Hope this helps:)

only type of onion that i will use:smile:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I don't even have to be the one chopping it up, if I'm in a small kitchen with it, I tear up until I can't see. It burns us, precious!
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    same here! I can not do it either! My favorite smell in the world is garlic and onion warming in some olive oil. Yummmm! So, I suffer through it. I generally have to cut with my eyes closed. lol

One thing that does help somewhat is to freeze the onion ahead of time. Not days but just hours ahead. Then a super sharp knife.
    When I worked at a sandwich place as a teen, I cut the top, bottom and top skin off the onion and let them soak in ice water for 10 mintues. With a professional slicer that would chop the whole onion almost at once, I barely shed a tear.
    At home the ice water works too, but only for a couple minutes. I slice what I can, and re dunk and slice until its done. Eyes still sting a bit but I don't cry anymore. lol
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Well... you could get some of those chemistry goggles that are designed to keep fumes out... but wearing contacts works for me. :)
    Absolutely the ONLY thing I miss about wearing contacts. :tongue: Had Lasik a couple of years ago, now I cry when I chop onions. Totally worth it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It only takes 30 seconds to chop an onion, I think some people need to get a little bit tougher in the kitchen. :tongue: :drinker:
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    you try holding it under running water while you cut it up? let the pieces fall into pasta strainer. or get yourself a ninja blender and use that to chop up the onion.
  • 10goal13
    10goal13 Posts: 54
    Options
    wear goggles?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    It only takes 30 seconds to chop an onion, I think some people need to get a little bit tougher in the kitchen. :tongue: :drinker:

Gotta agree with this here. And its only 30 sec if you want to be fancy with it.
  • Tamaralea88
    Tamaralea88 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I always keep the bulb part on and cut the opposite end, never have a problem
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hold a matchstick or a toothpick between your teeth, only thing that works for me.
    As for it only being 30 seconds, not many people can do a whole onion, properly chopped, in 30 seconds. even if you can, you are VERY luicky if the pain only lasts those 30 seconds. Mine will continue burning 5-10 minutes and usually results in a nasty headache.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to wear my machine shop goggles.... now I just call my chef husband into the kitchen, and hand him the knife. lol.
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My grandma always recommended holding a wooden matchstick in your mouth while you're chopping an onion. I don't know why, but it has always worked for me, without fail.

^^^This works.

Supposedly burning a candle near where you're cutting the onions will eliminate the tears.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    We eat about 4lbs of onions a week in our house and here is how I cope:

White onions - light a candle and leave it on the countertop beside you as you peel....

Red onions - wet them thoroughly before you peel

Shallots. (esp. out of the garden fresh ones) only swimming goggles will work with these ones! :)

Garlic - don't peel, just crush under the flat blade of a knife, pull the garlic away from the skin and add to hot pan immediately

Chives, wet before you chop but add to pan immediately after chopping (otherwise they get soggy)

Spring onion (esp. v fresh) - all of the above :):)

xx
  • Jessie1227
    Jessie1227 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The stuff that makes you cry is because it turns to sulphuric acid when it hits your eyes. So make sure it is captured by some other water before it reaches your eyes - chop them next to a running tap.

This!!^^^ Next to a running sink works for me, every time! :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I put them in the freezer for about 7 minutes before I chop. No problem here.

This works.

Or if you wear contacts. :)
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I just wear my big sunglasses pushed as close to my face as possible. :laugh: But of all the people I know my reaction is always the worst. I not only cry my eyes get all read & puffy and they burn for 30 minutes or more after I'm done. But the glasses make it better.