Swimming

Options
saraann4
saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
I really really really LOVE swimming. My parents told me that I was always addicted to the pool when I was little. I love the water! I can't help it!

I don't sweat which is a plus! I did 20 minutes of actual swimming yesterday plus 20 minutes of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred yesterday. I know I'm not sore from the 30 DS because last week I wasn't. Today, my "abs" hurt like a B****. I really enjoy swimming. I could literally do it all day and not complain. BUT is it a good workout? I do several different types of moves. I did 60 minutes of swimming today and it consisted of a little freestyle, the frog (hopefully someone out there knows what that is...my mom taught me when I was young), some back strokes, and some side strokes. I want to try to work every part of my body. Never really knew that the abs were involved during swimming. So you tell me

Is it a good work out??

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Vigorous swimming is a decent workout, and it does use most of the muscles in your core as your body keeps you from drowning!
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an excellent workout to me! I would think that swimming generally involves every muscle, even abs, especially with the variety you are doing.

Hopefully you are starting off moderate, don't push too hard. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Good luck!
  • katerinajulia
    katerinajulia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great until your body gets used to it. I am a swimmer and it used to be enough to simply go to swim practice and eat a normal amount. But now swimming to me is like walking to a runner - no exercise whatsoever. So make sure you listen to your body and when you figure out that swimming is providing little to no exercise, switch it up. Good luck!
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Please explain the frog, I love swimming too but my abs never hurt after and I want them to!
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great exercise! Its cardio and great go-to exercise when your injured. I wish I could swim better - just doesn't come natural to me. But I am injured and sure could be doing lots of laps right now to keep up my heart rate. Keep up your land exercises as well.:wink:
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Please explain the frog, I love swimming too but my abs never hurt after and I want them to!

The frog: it's all about the legs... you take your legs out with knees bent then in side to side. Hard to explain. Think of a frogs legs as they swim in water

I don't do vigorous swimming. I just do laps around my pool. I think the side strokes are why my abs hurt so bad today.
  • sarapeek
    sarapeek Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    "The Frog" sounds like a way to describe breaststroke to a kid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaststroke
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Swimming is awesome!! Go check out my diary from today & yesterday!! Polar HRM's work in the pool. My knees can't take a lot yet...and I can work out in the pool like people can training for a marathon!! Thatis what helped me kick off my weight loss last June!!