How serious are you about logging your calories in?

Options
dlpnrn2b
dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
I am just curious, not criticizing anyone on their diaries or anything of the sort but I notice a lot of people use the "quick added" calories etc. While looking at my diary at the end of each day, it seems like if I didn't know better, I had eaten the entire kitchen, LOL.. I log every single thing separate, even spices... is it just me?

Replies

• Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do too, sometimes.
    I'll log in stevia, my Teavana (calorie-free) iced tea, every bite I take, etc. It's a painstaking process when I bite this and that some days LOL.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I take it seriously, sometimes I also wonder why some other people don't seem to, as the logging is going to take the same amount of time either way, so might as well do it right, but each to their own.
    Usually my spices and such are in my recipes so my diary isn't massive lol.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm very meticulous about it. I weigh everything and add everything. The only issues I have are when I go out to eat. Then I try to do my best guess based on what's in the MFP food library but always err on the side of "too many calories is more accurate".
  • dlpnrn2b
    Options
    usually when eating out on a planned day, I will check the internet for calories of what I want and if it's a spontaneous meal out, I will do the same and over estimate just to be safe.
  • connollyda
    connollyda Posts: 23
    Options
    I do the same thing you do. Every bite of everything gets logged. Its a pain but I've tried other ways and it just leads me to cheat(accidentally or on purpose) so I finally figured if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I log pretty well. Rarely use quick calories unless its something I can't find in the data base
  • Karri_Bryant
    Karri_Bryant Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing and I obsess over which chicken breast or food item to choose because there will be 5 4oz breast they all have a different calorie count. I usually just choose the highest to be safe.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have only quick added once or twice in the almost year and a half I've been logging.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I only add stuff I can't find on MFP. I went out to eat at a local cafe and I looked for something similar on MFP but I couldn't find anything, so I quick added calories. I usually over-estimate a little bit when I do that, mostly because when I eat out it's not exactly healthy.

And I don't add 0 calorie things like Truvia or Stevia, and sometimes I leave out some vegetables and spices and stuff.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat. I never logged spices but I log condiments. I figured a tsp of cinnamon isn't high enough in calories to even matter
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The only time I will use the Quick Added Calories is if the food I eat isnt in the database. So far thats only happened once.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    When I quick add calories, I almost always leave a comment saying what it was. There are sometimes that I just cannot find the calorie count for what I ate on MFP or even online, so I guess, and I try to overestimate it.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes into my mouth....the only time i use quick add is when i cannot find something and then i will search the web to figure out what the calories are.
    San :)
  • dlpnrn2b
    Options
    I do the same thing and I obsess over which chicken breast or food item to choose because there will be 5 4oz breast they all have a different calorie count. I usually just choose the highest to be safe.

Yes, this to me is annoying.. I don't understand how the same food, cooked the same way is so drastically different in calories.. I'd rather guess over then under for sure.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also quick add if I feel like the calorie count for something in the database is off a little and can't find a more accurate listing. Once again, I put that in my comments though
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I log everything. If I use a teaspoon or a tablespoon of oil to fry something, it's there. If I add a teaspoon of butter, it's there.

I have looked at food logs and have wondered if they never use oil or butter or parmesan cheese...lol. Yeah my diary looks like I ate the entire house in one day!

Oh and eating that entire house is working! :wink:
  • dlpnrn2b
    Options
    I will admit, that I used quick add one time and that was before I was serious and I had consumed all my calories in beer that night... totally was NOT worth it!!
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Yes, this to me is annoying.. I don't understand how the same food, cooked the same way is so drastically different in calories.. I'd rather guess over then under for sure.

ditto and ditto
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I log every single thing! even on bad days, no use in hiding it...its not hiding on my body!
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Nope I do the same thing! It is just me! I want to know! I only use quick add if I take a bite of something at work to 'taste' it...but yes I have to log it as well! LOL but that is me! :)