Suggestions for lower sodium lunch meat/cheese

Options
2»

Replies

• simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Processed foods are always high in sodium. I bake some chicken breasts, or a turkey breast and use that as my "lunch meat". In general in not only has much less sodium but tastes much better too.
  • Tiffany_Felice
    Options
    if you go to the deli and get sliced me they are usually lessed processed than pre-packaged meats and they are lower in sodium, they also have "low-sodium" meats i get cut at the deli i go to.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    I SUGGESTS EITHER POACHING OR BAKING UR OWN CHICKEN OR TURKEY BREASTS & SLICING IT 2 USE FOR SANDWICHES. TASTE DELICIOUS & ITS ALL NATURAL. ADD UR OWN SPICES BT ELIMINATE THE SALT
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    IF U REALLY PREFER THE STORE BOUGHT DELI MEATS LIKE HILLSHIRE FARMS OR ANY OTHERS HOW ABT RINSING IT UNDER COLD TAP WATER 2 GET A LOT OF THE SODIUM OFF THEN PATTING THEM DRY WITH WITH STRONG PAPER TOWELS
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I always get mine at the deli counter, oddly enough it's cheaper and they have quite a bit less than the pre packaged meats. (our safeway and local deli both keep nutritional info available behind the counter if you ask for it).
    Or if im feeling all motivated I will make a roast and some oven baked chicken breasts, slice them up and keep them in the freezer.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hillshire Farms does have a few varieties of lower sodium meats (the plastic tubs with the pink lids). You have to really look though, the labels are really similar to regular ones.

I looked at those, and they're actually only 100 less, at 450 instead of 550. Makes me sad that those are considered lower sodium... :(
  • tiffanic83
    tiffanic83 Posts: 64
    Options
    lobster I was sad too :/ I even asked the delhi last time and their low sodium meats were higher than what was in the aisle.
  • vlynnvale
    vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately all of the lower sodium lunch meats that I've tried still have too much sodium in them for me. I used to use lunch meat in my wraps and recently went all veggie with them because of this reason. Still just as delicious! But if you would like to keep the meat, maybe just cook up your own instead of buying it processed?
  • rochelleh88
    rochelleh88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Where can you buy boars head?
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Best tasting alternative I've found is to throw a roast in the crock pot (cold roast beef slices are so yummy!). Boiling, baking, or grilling boneless chicken breasts and then slicing them up or putting into chicken salad also works (can do this while prepping a weekend meal so no additional time during the week).
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Why buy turkey breast for $9/lb at the deli when you can cook (marinade, if you like) and slice up some chicken breast bought for $3/lb. All the meaty goodness, none of the suspect ingredients and nitrates that Boar's Head, Hillshire Farms, etc. puts in their meat products. Of course, you have to carve 10 minutes out of your day to cook the chicken.