Alternative to salad dressing

Options
Can anyone give me ideas about what dressing to put on my salad that are low in calories. I hate dry salads. Thanks

Replies

• expressbug
    Options
    Kens makes a spray salad dressing. You get like 20 squirts for like 10-15 calories. They make about 4-5 differant flavors. I have Honey mustard vinegrette and Raspberry Walnut Vinegrette. They are yummy
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    balsamic vinaigrette is a good choice and you can make your own and add herbs to spice it up. also, try squeezing lemon juice on your salad. sometimes it's just enough flavor to do!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I love to put Salsa on my salad. Turns regular greens into a taco salad.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! 2 things to try:

1) Add tomato, avocado, and a splash of lime juice...it add moisture without heavy high-fat dressings

2) I make a dressing with part ranch, part lime juice and chopped cilantro. I put that on salad with shrimp, more cilantro, black beans, salsa, avocado. You can cook the shrimp in a cajun seasoning for a bit of extra kick

Hope it helps, Kim
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like really moist deli turkey cut very small and tossed in - gotta watch the sodium on that though. If I toss some of that and some avocado in my salad, I never miss the salad dressing.

Lots of people toss cottage cheese on the top... I haven't tried that yet.

You might try a squeeze of lemon and a tiny bit of olive oil..... that's really good, and goes well with a tbsp or two of feta cheese (YUM!)

I personally use Kraft Free Italian.... 2TBSP for under 25 cals, but it does have those nasty HFCS's and it is salad dressing. :laugh:
  • yoopergirl
    yoopergirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have made salad dressing w/plain yogurt...works well w/feta or blue cheese because of the strong tastes of both.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    balsamic vinaigrette is a good choice and you can make your own and add herbs to spice it up. also, try squeezing lemon juice on your salad. sometimes it's just enough flavor to do!

I like using lemon and a pinch of salt n pepper on mine. its really good!
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    Tablespoon of Olive Oil
    3 fresh squeezed limes (not lemons)
    black pepper
    oregano

shake and pour
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I've been experimenting and just recently developed a new favorite!

.5 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp raspberry juice (mushed up raspberries, not bottled juice)
    a squirt of lemon juice

... very good, and low calorie! :wink:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I like to use cottage cheese instead of salad dressing. Yummy.