Anti-depressants?

Options
I've been seriously thinking about seeking treatment for some issues I have that seem to be geting much worse lately. The last time I went to therapy, a few years ago, was the first time I really wanted to get help and had some hope/ belief that it could actually make things better. It kinda did I guess, at least got me through a dangerous crisis anyway. But I never talked. I wanted too, and I went in with the intention of doing it everytime- I just can't ever seem to get anything significant out.

So I was wondering what other people think about using anti-depressants/ anxiety medications and if you have any experiences with them you'd be willing to share?

I have concerns about it possibly making things worse, bad side effects, and dependency issues.

Replies

• ravennyx
    ravennyx Posts: 40
    Options
    I think you need someone (psychologist) who knows how to help a person feel safe to. That was my thing when I was going.... My fear: is this person safe to talk to? ... If I start talking about the deep stuff my anger will swell up... I don't know what it will look like or sound like when it escapes... So I'd need someone who can handle it because I might not be able to.
  • fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm doing anti-depressants combined with counselling. Because I had to wait 7 months for counselling, I couldn't have done it without the medication, and equally the medication wouldn't do anything on its own to deal with why I was depressed. So I've found the two together work really well. Having said that, it's possibly because I've found an amazing counsellor, who I feel really safe with, and who really gets me. I've been going to see her for just over a year and she's helped me change so much. I've still got some way to go, but it's been incredibly helpful.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Pristiq for 3 years, LOVE it. I recently added Viibryd to it to help boost it. I have depression, anxiety as well as being manic/bipolar.

I tried just taking bipolar meds and I gained so much weight so fast. I now am on the SNRI and the SSRI and its a perfect combo. I am energetic, I actually want to do things again!

I do not go to therapy.. but I have a lot of supportive, amazing friends and family that help listen and support me. :)
  • RachaelT76
    RachaelT76 Posts: 26
    Options
    If you feel like you need help...get help. Dont wait. I take Prozac for PMDD, I get depressed with it close to my period. Cured me of it. They do help. Just dont wait until you are to depressed to care if you get help or not.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I'm one that definately does better without those meds. Because they made me worse. The thing that really helped was a sound nutritious food plan. 30 minutes of exercise, lots of water, getting out of the house, and work to keep me busy. Oh and my two POM dogs seem to cheer me up, each and every day. No matter how my day is. They are a great sense of comfort to me. If you do take them, I highly suggest not comsuming ANY alcohol whatsoever. I wish you happiness in the future. Very much. :smile:
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I'm sorta in your situation. My mom has serious anxiety issues and is manic depressive. I've got some the same issues as her, except hers is made worse by the fact that she's an alcoholic. I'm still deciding whether I want to talk to someone or not.

From my experience with her, when she takes the proper medication ON TIME and DOESNT DRINK, she's wonderful. Like a whole new person. However, she often forgets (or thinks she forgets) pills and then takes 3x the amount to compensate. She also drinks which is a huge no-no if you're on medication like hers.

Overall, I think they help most people as long as they find the right medication and dosage and take it correctly. Good luck.
  • Fairy_Farts
    Fairy_Farts Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You may already know all of this, but I wanted to throw it out there just in case you don't. :flowerforyou:

I think trying counseling is a great thing and combining meds with counseling is more effective than just taking anti-depressants. If you need anti-depressants, please research some BEFORE you go to the doctor to get them. The reason I say this is because I've been helping a family member through a lot of issues and we just went with what the experts said to try. That was a mistake. Not that experts are wrong, but if WE had done some research ahead of time, it would have helped us see some red flags for my family member. We know ourselves better than most doctors know us.
    Also, remember it takes weeks for most anti-depressants to start working. It kinda sucks to finally get something and then have to be patient for it to work.
    Anyway, I just want to say that I think there is a definite time and place for them and they are very helpful as long as you are on the correct one.
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Getting medicated makes a world of difference. Therapy is a large part provided it is cognitive therapy. If you are just looking to complain and whine about what has happened in the past you won't get anywhere. You have to take steps on improving your current situation and your future.
  • JConstine
    JConstine Posts: 69
    Options
    Anti-depressants do help but they aren't a cure or a fix and sometimes you have to go through a few medications to find one that works with you. It helps to go to therapy to learn about different methods of controlling your depression in addition to taking medication.

Honestly, results vary so widely from person to person. Talk with your doctor and get lots of information so you can make a good decision that will help you.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    There is (or should be) no shame in talking to someone or taking medication to help you. Too many people attach such a horrible stigma to depression and other mental disorders. Some people think they are helping by saying 'stay strong', 'you can do it', 'meditate', 'exercise more', etc., but truth is, sometimes you need more. People who say you don't need medication or counselling - to go it on your own - have probably not been through it - and all it really does is make people feel bad about themselves, thinking that they are weak for needing support.

My thinking is, you are taking care of yourself to be a better you if you need counselling or medication. There is NO shame in it.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have had a few times over the years where I needed them to get through some bad times. They have always helped me and I haven't had to remain on them for more than 9-12months. Just make sure you are working with a doctor to get the correct type, dosage etc. If they make you feel foggy or weird, they aren't the right ones. If you feel suicidal while on them, stop and go back to the doctor. If they are working correctly, you shouldn't actually "feel" anything -- but you'll notice you no longer break into tears for no reason, spend your days in bed sleeping, avoiding social functions etc...

This is nothing to be ashamed about --- and something you should get checked. If you are here asking this question, you already know in your head that you don't like what's going on. You deserve to get help and get past it and enjoy your life again!
  • fontinathefox
    Options
    Therapy is a large part provided it is cognitive therapy. If you are just looking to complain and whine about what has happened in the past you won't get anywhere. You have to take steps on improving your current situation and your future.

That's a bit of a generalisation. I tried CBT and it got me nowhere, because I needed to look into WHY I was thinking and feeling the way I was. If you want to call that 'complaining and whineing' that's up to you - I call it therapy. And it IS helping me improve my current situation and my future.
  • volvol16
    volvol16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've done both, anti-anxiety meds and counseling, at different times so not concurrently.

My experience with anti-anxiety/depression meds was terrible. I put on 25 lbs and felt worse about myself than I did when I wasn't taking the medicine. It did relieve my anxiety, but it didn't do a thing for my self-esteem. I was incredibly hard on myself and I was trying to workout, but sleep was alwasy more important than working out. After about 3 months on the medicine, I quit taking it and decided that I wasn't going to depend on a pill to make me "happy". I had to work it out myself. I started seeing a therapist and that really helped. I also made a point to work out and relieve stress/anxiety every day in some form to help me. I began with walking on a treadmill at the gym and every day I would give myself little pep talks to not quit "you don't want to go back on the pills do you?" "at least you're here and working toward something!" and then, when I started losing weight, I didn't have to give myself the pep talks--people started doing it for me. The therapist started noticing that I was losing weight and asked me how I felt about myself and I said I"m still not good enough. She said that we needed to start working on loving myself rather than always pleasing everyone else. I still have problems with accepting compliments, but I feel prettier than ever. Since I started walking, running has become my therapy. I am a person that doesn't want to run, but rather I need to run. Sometimes my boyfriend will say "when was the last time you ran?" and I know that's a cue that I am becoming irratiable. He's not being a **** about it, but he knows that it will help me and it usually does. :) I havne't seen my therapist in a year and I feel more at peace with myself and my surroundings and situations that I am currently in than ever. I am happy with my boyfriend, my family and my friends.

I wouldn't tell you what to do, but I think it's important to figure out what is best for you. Some people do well on medication... others, like me, do not (unless it's to control my baby maker). I would suggest that you have a real frank conversation with your doctor and see what is best for you. Sometimes though, I think that doctors just write a prescription before hearing you out.

good luck and I'll be praying for you :)
  • cupidval
    cupidval Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Seek treatment! I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. I am currently taking several medications for my depression. And for me it keeps me stable. Please seek help right away!! I will send you a friend invitation. (:
  • bigdogc23
    bigdogc23 Posts: 66
    Options
    Taking medication for personal issues is and should be a big decision and it's good that you are asking about it. Some people don't take it serious. Here is my take on taking these kinds of medication and my experience. There are no anti-depression, anti-anxiety, or anti-psychotic medications that do not have side effects. Some are more severe than others, some create dependancy more than others, and you have to weigh out the benefits of them to see if it is worth it.

Medication alone will not fix your situation, unless of course you are one that is in the situation soley because your chemically imbalanced but even then usually it won't fix it completley. The meds are going to make life more tolerable to where it makes it easier for you to cope with what ever you are coping with and gives you a clearer view so you can pick yourself up off the ground so to speak. That is the way it is suppose to work anyhow.

In my experirence with these meds is that it is very frustarating. Unfortunalty there is not a perfect science to this. You will most likely go through a trial and error process to where the doctor will start you on a medication, you take it for awhile to see if it works. If it doesn't seem to work the doc will either up the dosage to see if that works or put you on another or additional medicaton. You most likely will not get it right the first time.

If you plan on having additional children in the near future, be sure to check the classification of the medication to ensure it will not harm the baby.

With the side effects of the medications if you read the warnings they will scare the hell out of you but in most cases they put theh worste case scenerio on the warnings for a disclaimer so in the event that something tragic does happen then they can say they warned the public. Look up what people think online about their experiences with the medications to get a real feel for what it will most likely to do you. Most of them are temporary until your body adjusts to them but not always of course.

The one thing I would like to kick my doctor in the balls for is not warnring me about the dependancy issues of the medications he put me on. I take one medication that doesn't have any kind of affect on me like maybe an illegal drug would have. I don't get happy highs or trip out or anything, but damn if you miss a dose or try and come off it by yourself it is a very painful significant emotional event. It causes electrical shocks through the body, you throw up, get dizzy as hell, and I don't care how tought you are you get all kinds of emotional.
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options
    <~~I just went back into therapy after a ten year absence. thought I was doing well. I survived a divorce and was doing pretty good. I have been on Paxil for over 10 years. I really never gave it much thought about weight gain! To be totally honest I was more concerned with the side effects of Erectile Dysfunction more than weight gain. My fears came true about the ED but heck I didn't expect to get back in a releationship anytime soon! Then in 2009, I lost my job due to layoffs. It took me over two years to find work! I thought I dealt with it welll until the last few months before I got hired by another company. I gained about 55lbs during the layoff! My high weight was 285lbs when I got the job! Although so happy to be working again, I was depressed over the weight gain. I utilized a company benefit of the Wellness program. Met with Food and Helath counselors and I lost 10 lbs just by working a normal schedule. This past year, there was a Weight Loss Challenge at work and I lost almost 22lbs! I was on top of the world! My MFP Friends helped me a lot! then my Girlfriend Dumped me and then I became totally a basket case. I ate like a fool! I hated myself and really felt lost! In retrospect, she really wasn't the problem as I looked back and recalled that I got nothing from her. Nothing emotionally, Loving or other wise! I was better off with out her. My depressed emotions had taken over my entire being. My Anger issues (Never Violent) took over. I hate myself, I talk to myself daily and it isn't in a good or in a positive way. I went back into counseling about two weeks ago. My Doctor is recommending me to get off of Paxil. He is sending me to A Psychiatrist for further analysis and new anti-depressent and to find out why I loathe myself...

I have no problem opening up to a doctor. They are here to help! Go do it girl! You'll thank yourself later!
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Lost_Mermaid Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone

I think I understand some things a little better now. I was worried that if I did end up taking something that it would mean I had to be on it indefinitely or I'd just go back to feeling this messed up or worse. It's nice to hear that some of you just used it for short periods of time to help through a bad time. Now I think maybe I could try something that might help me feel better enough to talk about and work through my underlying issues so I can possibly even move on. I just found out this morning that I probably wont be able to go see somebody until july, when I had thought my insurance plan was going to start in June. It's kind of scary, I've been putting myself off for a long time and now I feel like i'm at a point where I need to do something for me or everything i've been ignoring myself for is going to fall apart anyway.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences, I have some new perspectives and things to think about and some research to do that will hopefully help keep me busy for the next 5 weeks or so
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on prozac, which unfortunately added to my weight gain. I have tried different brands and have been on some form of anti-depressant for 5 years. I needed it long before that, but my parents were not very attentive in my teen years and told me how i felt was normal for a teenager.
    Wellbutrin is a very good one, as it doesn't have the weight gain side-effect, it has actually cause weight loss in some. I couldn't take it because I get a very rare side effect of anxiety attacks. I stress that is a VERY rare side effect.
    The person that will know best is your doctor. I just see my regular primary care doctor, because my depression issues aren't significant enough to be referred to a mental health clinic. My depression is more from low seritonin. My doctor said that I will be able to get off prozac in a couple years, once it's built up enough seritonin in my system. But it may be sooner now that I exercise more and am more active because that naturally boosts your levels. My goal is to be able to stop taking it by the end of the year.
  • lindaschultz45
    lindaschultz45 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think counseling is the best thing anyone can do for themselves. I know it did wonders for me while in a bad marriage. Many people are cruel and don't understand when one feels so badly. I use to say thank God for paxil. ; )

Great advice in here. Always seek the advice of your doctor and seek counseling. I wouldn't worry if you have to be on the medicine for life. It would be no different than if you had high blood pressure. If it makes your quality of life better then it's worth it for you and your loved ones.
  • fontinathefox
    Options
    I wouldn't worry if you have to be on the medicine for life. It would be no different than if you had high blood pressure. If it makes your quality of life better then it's worth it for you and your loved ones.

This is so true. I used to think of it as a weakness, and that I wanted to be off them as soon as possible. Now I just think 'well, if there's medication to help me feel better, why not take it? If someone is ill, they wouldn't just suck it up and suffer, would they?'