Any other naturals here?

Options

Replies

• Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I went blonde briefly - and it was awesome for reassuring me that actually, being ginger was better!

Profile pic is hair now. Long enough that it curls properly and I am entirely in love with it! Wide tooth comb when wet and then run away and it does that - I'm happy!
  • plusdivanva
    plusdivanva Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been natural for almost 11 years and wearing locs for almost 10 years. I have trimmed them twice in that 10 years. I'm actually planning on cutting them once I hit the 50 lb weight loss!!! 20 lbs to go but will continue to be natural. Letting some new growth come in now so I don't have to chop it all off. Looking forward to trying some twist outs!!

17480856.png
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've been dying my hair blond w/highlights since I was 16.. I'm 23 now and have no intention of stopping. Naturally my hair is brown, and I think it looks ugly on me... hence the dye job!

I also have really curly hair that I straighten if I have the time.. but for the most part, I wear it curly and rinse in-between washes.

Seeing as you have curly hair, I would advise using a sulfate free shampoo and co-washing. Also, instead of combing or brushing, detangle your hair wet, saturated in conditioner and GENTLY. Do you let it air dry?

I use Colorese Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner.. Can be found at Sallys, and is the equivalent of pureology, without the outrageous price.

I detangle mine in the shower with conditioner and again when I'm out of the shower..both with a wide tooth comb. I then don't brush until before my next shower. I also put mouse in and let air dry.. unless I'm straightening it.. then it's blowdry and flat iron with a round brush thrown in.
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been natural going on 5 years. My goal is tailbone length when straight then I will cut to waist length and maintain. My texture is 4a/4b and my longest layer is mbl and my shortest is just above apl.
    All our hair wants is a good diet and moisture/protein balance. Your hair is gorgeous! Hope you reach your hair goal.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm like 85% natural because I still have some relaxed ends that I'm impatiently waiting to cut off very soon. I've been transitioning for a year (in 5 days).
  • ShyGirl89
    ShyGirl89 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been natural for 8 months now. I've never had my hair dyed before. I thought about it, because I always wanted crazy colors in my hair, but I decided against it XD
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    Never dyed my hair..... i like my hair color golden brown. Although i have 2 strands of grey hair...mmm too early to start dye?
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I've been natural 7 years and love the versatility of wet to straight. I originally started by just cutting out the process little by little, then in 2009 I did the “Big Chop”. It’s grown back nicely, with a few other scissors to hair experiments, but it is currently at the top of my bra strap straight, and to my shoulders wet.

I suggest EVOO treatments and lots of conditioner! I live in Florida, so it’s not the best climate for natural hair, but I manage.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've been leaving my gray grow out and love it!

Why?

Because, I am a nurse and I have taken care of too many women, and a few men, who have had cancerous growths removed from their scalps. The one thing that they all have in common is that they colored their hair.

Additionally, I am on an 'authenticity' path and could not justly say I was being authentic when my hair was colored. I don't wear make-up either.

So I am all natural and I love every moment of not having to worry about hair, make-up and all that other stuff.
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I only recently started dying my mousy brown hair to different colors...first red, and then black...I've noticed that my root growth is lighter than my original shade! Oh no!!! Now I want to have the color stripped and let everything grow out...Thinking about having the mane thinned and layered, but my husband would pitch a fit if I put scissors to my hair again!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to hear tips on caring for curls. I have a daughter - age 5 1/2 who is a curly blond. she already asks me to straighten it and as someone with crazy wavy hair (i'm a 2A) who would kill for those curls (she's between a 2c & 3a but more 3a). Back in the day, when her dad had hair, he had a 3B. at any rate, i want her to embrace them. (i would insert a pic, but i haven't figured that out yet).

thus far, i've stopped washing it every day, but we do condition every night in the shower. if we style it, we put 'biosilk' in it. it's so dry and coarse and it seems like when we do get enough product in to soften it, it weighs her curls down.

we've used aveda and other such products in the past, but if i can't justify the cost for me, i sure as heck am not buying it for my 5 year old. would love some advice. and if you could message me, that would be even better to make sure i see it. thanks!!!!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to hear tips on caring for curls. I have a daughter - age 5 1/2 who is a curly blond. she already asks me to straighten it and as someone with crazy wavy hair (i'm a 2A) who would kill for those curls (she's between a 2c & 3a but more 3a). Back in the day, when her dad had hair, he had a 3B. at any rate, i want her to embrace them. (i would insert a pic, but i haven't figured that out yet).

thus far, i've stopped washing it every day, but we do condition every night in the shower. if we style it, we put 'biosilk' in it. it's so dry and coarse and it seems like when we do get enough product in to soften it, it weighs her curls down.

we've used aveda and other such products in the past, but if i can't justify the cost for me, i sure as heck am not buying it for my 5 year old. would love some advice. and if you could message me, that would be even better to make sure i see it. thanks!!!!

also, i should note we braid at night to prevent breakage and she sleeps on a silk pillowcase.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I actually tried to go natural last year for a couple months and totally hated it!! First I will not go without dying it because otherwise I would be totally grey (damn genetics!). Second, my hair is very fine but curly and frizzy. I was still not able to go a single day without washing and it was impossible to comb and it didn't help the curl or the frizziness at all.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Curly Girl: The Handbook by Massey is excellent. It has a section on children's hair and comes with a DVD. www.naturallycurly.com is a helpful site. I get better results with good products, but Naturally Curly features active discussions of products at all price ranges. I like Devacurl and Wen best.

Comb her hair with your fingers.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    <
    This is natural. Exactly the way mom made me. Never colored or permed or anything.....as I start to go gray (45 sucks!) I just call them natural highlights. :grumble:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Never colored my hair in my life. Did have a few perms in middle school and high school, but haven't done that in years. I don't think my hair could take that kind of abuse now. It's very fine and fragile due to hypothyroidism and PCOS. I'm hoping it will thicken back up a little now that I have been medicated for both problems and am I'm now eating much more nutrient dense foods.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I have never dyed my hair, and probably never will. I'm pretty happy with the color it is now and in the summer it gets enough natural highlights to make a difference. As for straightening/curling, my hair has always been SUPER straight so I hardly ever straighten it (only to make it sleeker) and if I want to curl it I have to use a really high heat and a lot of hairspray, so I hardly ever do that. I do braid my hair after the shower and keep it in overnight to get the wavy look, but that's about it these days.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i have what i call 'white english' corkskrew curls. looser than yours but a lot more curly than most. i gave up fighting it when i was in my early 20s i guess. i never brush it, just wash it every morning (can't tame it enough to leave the house otherwise) and use a small amount of curl cream or similar to beat the frizz.
    i'm a type 3, but can't remember if it was a or b. and i do dye mine...
  • qnz234
    qnz234 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    yes yes, naturalista here! love ur curls!
  • amosjo
    amosjo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a natural redhead and have never dyed my hair. I love the color and I intend to keep it until nature turns it gray. I'm 35 and have yet to find a gray hair so I'm crossing my fingers! I haven't decided yet whether I'll dye my hair once it starts to gray, but at the moment I'm leaning towards "no."

My hair is naturally wavy (in my profile pic it's been straightened), and most days I just wash, brush, and go. I dislike blow drying or using hair product so I rarely do. I have a great stylist who cuts it to bring out the waves without looking frizzy, and the natural look really works for me.