vegetarian recipes please

Options
foxyhotgal
foxyhotgal Posts: 79 Member
Hey

I was wondering if you could share some good veggie recipes that don't involve cheese or anything processed please x

Replies

• Diarau
    Diarau Posts: 3
    Options
    Black bean burritos are a staple in my house!

1 Bell Pepper (red, orange, or yellow), chopped
    1/2 Red Onion, chopped
    1 can Black Beans, rinsed (I like Meijer Organics)
    1Tbs Chili Powder
    1Tsp Cumin
    1Tsp Black Pepper
    1Tsp Cayenne Pepper (if you like it hot)
    1Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
    Dash of Salt
    Splash of Sunflower Oil
    Burrito wrap of your choice

Saute bell pepper and onion in sunflower oil until soft (I use the salt here to let them sweat); usually 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat. Pour in black beans and season with chili powder, cumin, cayenne, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Once everything is hot, spoon it in wrap and enjoy. I usually serve it with fresh chopped salsa, guacamole, and taco quinoa (quinoa with taco seasoning, easy and yummy). The guacamole is cool and creamy, so I never miss the cheese.
  • suzannephx
    suzannephx Posts: 8
    Options
    Lentil Salad

1 box pre-cooked Lentils (trader joe's, about 2 1/2 cups)
    1/4 cup feta
    2 T lemon juice
    parsley/cilantro
    2 T red onion
    1 small tomato, diced

Open the package of lentils and put into a large bowl. Break up with a fork. Mix in all other ingredients, adjusting for taste. Add salt and pepper as desired. Can eat immediately, but best to let sit for in fridge for a couple of hours. Mix well before serving. Keeps well for a few days in the fridge.

If you are leaning toward vegan and want to omit the cheese, add a little extra salt and lemon juice. Try garlic salt for a little kick.
  • 115perfection
    115perfection Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    check out www.thevegankitchen.net - she has an AWESOME meal called "the generals tofu", it tastes like chinese food but is like 300 cals a serving!
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Go to the Cooking Light and Vegetarian Times websites....both have recipe indexes. I have pulled some great recipes from both. In fact, one of the "cover" stories for Cooking Light today is "Vegetarian Summer Recipes."

http://www.cookinglight.com/

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/
  • denisehyeong
    Options
    This isn't a "recipe" as such .. .. I make it with what ever I have .. . It's sort of scrambled Tofu

Saute Onions (+ carrots or cabbage or green beans etc)
    Add - curry powder
    Add Tofu (kind of mushed up or in very small cubes)
    then add
    Fresh Spinach - chopped up to small bits.
    Add wee bit of water, cover for Spinach to wilt a bit.

I have this for breakfast with toast - or warmed up tortilla.

I do add salt and pepper to taste - but just a weeee bit of salt

Best
    Denise
  • suzannephx
    suzannephx Posts: 8
    Options
    Lentil Salad

1 box pre-cooked Lentils (trader joe's, about 2 1/2 cups)
    1/4 cup feta
    2 T lemon juice
    2T fresh mint, chopped
    2 T red onion
    1 small tomato, diced

Open the package of lentils and put into a large bowl. Break up with a fork. Mix in all other ingredients, adjusting for taste. Add salt and pepper as desired. Can eat immediately, but best to let sit for in fridge for a couple of hours. Mix well before serving. Keeps well for a few days in the fridge.

If you are leaning toward vegan and want to omit the cheese, add a little extra salt and lemon juice. Try garlic salt for a little kick.

Oops, messed up the first posting - forget the parsley/cilantro and use fresh chopped mint leaves. Adds a nice balance! Can also spruce it up with a little cumin and coriander. Hope you like it!
  • rezacey
    rezacey Posts: 4
    Options
    I am not much of a cook, but these are some of my staples:

Baked Tofu

P5211012.jpg
    P4230878.jpg

Pat extra firm tofu dry with a kitchen towel
    Marinate for at least 30 minutes in soy sauce and honey OR soy sauce, vinegar, hot pepper, and onions
    Bake on a foil-lined tray sprayed with cooking oil for 45 mins at 350 degrees. Turn pieces when halfway done cooking.

Kale Chips

P5211010.jpg

Wash and dry kale, shred into pieces
    Spray foil-lined pan with cooking spray
    Sprinkle kale with seasoning such as salt/pepper or garlic powder
    Spray again with cooking spray
    Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees

Kale Taboule

P3100721.jpg

Chop raw kale VERY finely
    Chop tomatoes, green onions, and parsley
    Mix in cooked quinoa or barley
    Stir in juice of one lemon, 1 tbsp olive oil, and salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
  • jnamcelwain
    jnamcelwain Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump Yummy:)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Quorn chik'n tenders
    Corn tortillas
    Salsa
    Lettuce
    Bell pepper

Cut pepper into strips and cook in 1/2 T oil until just cooked crispy. Season however you like. Brown chik'n on both sides in 1 t. vegetable oil then cut into strips. Warm tortillas. Put everything in tortilla.
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian sandwiches

1 whole wheat pita
    1 handful of cauliflower, brocoli, shredded carrots, shredded red cabbage, shredded cheese, dill pickle
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash (steamed in microwave for 9 minutes - then removed with a fork)
    Topped with sauteed diced tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, bell peppers and olive oil (cook until tender and tasty).
    Seasoned with Mrs. Dash Italian, little bit of brown sugar, pinch or two of sea salt, cayenne pepper, and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Fantastic! Takes about 30 minutes to make and very satisfying.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian chili! You can add one of those vegetarian ground beef substitutes, but I like it with lots of veggies and beans

Add presoaked dry beans or canned beans (whatever kind you like, I like to do a combo of black beans, white and red kidney beans), lots of fresh chopped veggies (carrots, onions, mushrooms, celery, and whatever else you've got on hand that looks good), and canned tomatoes or tomato sauce. Put it all in the slow cooker with a packet of chili seasoning, or the spices you like. Add several handfuls of frozen corn in the last half hour. Serve over brown rice, or eat on its own!
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I cook a lot from this website - fantastic vegan recipes:
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

I also like the cookbooks "Appetite for Reduction" and "Quick Fix Vegan." Both are very reasonably priced on Amazon if not available at your local public library.
  • pnut80
    pnut80 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash (steamed in microwave for 9 minutes - then removed with a fork)
    Topped with sauteed diced tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, bell peppers and olive oil (cook until tender and tasty).
    Seasoned with Mrs. Dash Italian, little bit of brown sugar, pinch or two of sea salt, cayenne pepper, and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Fantastic! Takes about 30 minutes to make and very satisfying.

YUMM!
  • Caseyeatsclean
    Caseyeatsclean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    check out www.thevegankitchen.net - she has an AWESOME meal called "the generals tofu", it tastes like chinese food but is like 300 cals a serving!

This blog is awesome, thanks!
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    bump :)
  • lindseym1983
    lindseym1983 Posts: 209
    Options
    What is tofu? I see a lot of I am sure healthier food on recipes but I have no idea about any of them. Trying really hard to eat right, any staples that is not the ordinary that you guys eat???
  • rezacey
    rezacey Posts: 4
    Options
    What is tofu? I see a lot of I am sure healthier food on recipes but I have no idea about any of them. Trying really hard to eat right, any staples that is not the ordinary that you guys eat???

Tofu is a soy-based meat alternative. I like it best "extra firm" and baked or pan-fried. You can make veggie dips and desserts out of the softer varieties.
  • sdhd
    sdhd Posts: 13
    Options
    bump
  • Bj112090
    Bj112090 Posts: 16
    Options
    Will definitely be trying some of these. Thanks for posting!