Consuming protein post workout

Options
I know the reasons and benefits as to why, but how much do people take? I try to always have a protein shake after working out, around one scoop- 25grams. But in honesty I don't always fancy it. Especially if not so long after, usually after a bath, I'll be eating my evening meal

Replies

• istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I know the reasons and benefits as to why, but how much do people take? I try to always have a protein shake after working out, around one scoop- 25grams. But in honesty I don't always fancy it. Especially if not so long after, usually after a bath, I'll be eating my evening meal

My proetin is 26g per scoop I always do the full scoop.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I take 225g within 24 hours of my workout
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

Amount
    Exercisers have demonstrated enhanced protein synthesis following workouts with both modest and exorbitant amounts of protein supplementation. In a review of post-workout protein supplement research, exercise scientist G. Damon Wells concluded that there is little difference in consuming between 6 and 40g of protein following an exercise session. As long as you meet your daily dietary protein needs, your post-workout protein supplement does not need to be large

Dietary Protein Needs
    A protein supplement is only effective if you already consume adequate dietary protein. Most adults need to consume about 0.4g of protein per 1 lb. of body weight. Highly active adults and athletes have increased protein needs. Athletes who consistently perform strength training exercises should consume about 0.7 to 0.9g per 1 lb. of body weight. Endurance athletes should consume about 0.6 to 0.7g of protein per 1 lb. of body weight each day.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/411336-how-much-protein-do-you-need-after-a-work-out/#ixzz1vWz6YOr9
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It's not just the protein that you need. Maybe an expert can chime in here and tell us. I take Aftermax after a workout cause it has all the stuff in it.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It's not just the protein that you need. Maybe an expert can chime in here and tell us. I take Aftermax after a workout cause it has all the stuff in it.

exactly, most protein powders include BCAA's etc... that ya need