My number one dieting tip- what is yours?

Options
The biggest thing I have *finally* learned ( after 30 years of dieting) is that I MUST eat in order to lose weight.

That's right. In order to lose weight you must eat!!

I lose more weight when I stay in a 1200-1500 calorie range than I do if I stay around 1000 or under.

I hate that it took me too long to understand this.

Next?

Replies

• ctoteh86
    ctoteh86 Posts: 16
    Options
    Always keep snacks handy! If I allow myself to actually get hungry I will eat up EVERYTHING in site!
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I can still eat the foods I love, just at a different portion size. Before joining MFP, I thought that dieting meant I had to give it up for good.
  • Jori7071
    Jori7071 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My number 1 tip-be true to myself. If I fib on my food log or my workout log, I am the only one who will know and I am the only one that will pay the price.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    "I lose more weight when I stay in a 1200-1500 calorie range than I do if I stay around 1000 or under."

I keep hearing that, but I don't understand!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    don't eat too much
  • eunger1
    eunger1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My number one tip would be try not to think of it as a temporary diet and instead think about it as a healthy lifestyle change
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I've increased my calories to 2000 rather than 1200. Too many people saying that you need to increase to be able to handle it as a life change rather than diet (no more yo-yo ing) and as long as I'm losing I am happy. A pound or 2 a week.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    that its not a DIET tis a lifestyle change :)
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Kitchen scales are more important than bathroom scales :flowerforyou:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I need to eat healthily and enjoy my food, but given the low level of calories I can eat I have to focus on things that are not related to food. Wo(man) does not live by bread alone. Life is full of many interesting things that have nothing to do with food.

If you want to maintain or lose your weight, you have to be willing to change your lifestyle. Many people have no imagination. They feel entitled to eat in a certain way, even though historically, human beings have had to be very adaptable and didn't have the luxury of gorging themselves with unhealthy food.
  • dottheyes30
    dottheyes30 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You can diet all you want but without exercise you are just wasting your time. Even if all you do walk for 15 minutes a day it will help you to lose weight. Some form of exercise is the only way to burn calories.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    For me is that I MUST decrease the amt of "carbs" I eat to consistently lose weight, I must keep my calories right around 1500 daily, AND I must incorporate some type of excercise to not only increase weight loss but also to "tone"
  • dottheyes30
    dottheyes30 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Like that one!
  • fletchilicious
    Options
    Eat more fiber. Truckoads more. Boatloads more. Fiber, fiber, fiber. Pour it in your coffee, add it to everything.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else - this is a lifestyle change. No longer will I cut out any food groups because there's nothing I'd be willing to cut out forever. This is it for me, this is not something that will ever end. There's no going back if I don't lose one week - it'd be a lot worse to gain by going back to old habits.

Also this isn't a diet tip but EXERCISE. There's no point in losing weight and not being in decent shape as well.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't just magically disappear... You have to put in the time and effort to get the results you really want.
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree..the word diet means a quick fixs that comes back and haunts you. Healthly lifestyle change stays arounds for the long haul and gives amazings lasting results.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    that its not a DIET tis a lifestyle change :)

^^^ THIS!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    It isn't a diet, it is a Lifestyle Change =) I saw someone else stole my answer =p

Another big one is to think of Food as FUEL =) For your body! Not exactly something for you to enjoy.. That does not mean 'Food is fuel, something you Can't enjoy though!)
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    You can diet all you want but without exercise you are just wasting your time. Even if all you do walk for 15 minutes a day it will help you to lose weight. Some form of exercise is the only way to burn calories.

This isn't true. I've lost all my weight with very little exercise.