A little...(maybe a lot) discouraged...

Options
jammiemd
jammiemd Posts: 46 Member
Ok, so I have been dieting for a month now and I do not feel any different. I have not eaten over 1000 calories a day in a month. I do not drink anything other than water and diet Dr. Pepper (and the diet dr. peppers are limited). I'm morbidly obese and feel like I should be losing weight quicker. I lost 6 pounds the first week and I was excited...but now I feel like I havent accomplished anything. Maybe its just one of those days....

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Well I could tell you you're not eating enough. Everyones gonna say to open your diary too
  • jcohio85
    jcohio85 Posts: 43
    Options
    You have to eat more. If MFP is telling you to eat 1250 calories you need to eat that much or close to that much. That will help you lose weight.
  • babyblooeyes
    babyblooeyes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You don't starve yourself to lose weight. All you lose is muscle, healthy muscle and no fat. I don't know your weight but I am 230 and I consume about 2300 calories with exercise on a daily basis to lose nearly 2 lbs a week.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Yes, unless otherwise told by your doctor or a trusted professional, I would try upping the calories a bit. Also, I don't want to go into it because I don't personally remember all of the reasons, but my biologist brother recently did a legit and thoroughly researched report on why diet soda is not only no better than regular soda, but may even be worse because the artificial sweeteners react badly somehow with your insulin receptors...worth looking into. But look, long story short, no matter WHAT you will see more results if you cut out soda COMPLETELY. Try flavored carbonated water instead! The mandarin orange one tastes just like Fanta to me :)
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Eat at least 1200 calories a day. I am using Nutrisystem and losing an average of 9 pounds a month. If you have over 100 pounds to lose you should eat around 1500 calories a day. Eat high fiber, high protein foods. Eat a lot of non starchy veggies and at least 2 fruits a day.
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would agree that your calories are too low, but it seems like you should have lost weight.The only thing I can think of is that you have been a chronic yo-yo dieter, which can affect your metabolism.

I'd say to increase your calories.. and after a few weeks add some activity (walking is a good start and can burn quite a lot of calories when you're heavy).
  • connollyda
    connollyda Posts: 23
    Options
    Everyone else has got it right. I know it seems a bit counter intuitive but eating more will help! I lost about 2 lbs the first two weeks going super low cal(like 800-900 a day, sometimes less if I could manage) and then bottomed out. I read through some of the forums and the all say to eat what mfp says. I started that and BAM, losing more weight with less exercise.
    Just follow the 'rules' and be patient. The weight didn't all show up in a week, its not gonna leave in a week either.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The answer to your problem: You shouldn't be eating SO LITTLE. 1000 or less a day is not healthy and not enough cals. You need to increase it "at least" to 1200 minimum. But even that is a tad bit low for "starting" this weight loss journey. But just a guess, since I don't know your activity level... you should probably at minimum be taking in 1400-1500 a day this early in the journey.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have a thought or two.

1. Your profile says you are 29 and weigh 400 pounds. I am assuming you were 400 pounds the week before that and the week before that.
    Which leads me to believe that you are not gonna get on the scale after a week and weigh 150 pounds.
    2. Do NOT get on the scale everyday. Try once a week or every other week.

Bottom line here is: SLOW AND STEADY. If you are losing 1-2 pounds a week, that is 100 pounds in a year. I bet it took longer to gain the hundred than lose the hundred.

SLOW AND STEADY.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    I have a thought or two.

1. Your profile says you are 29 and weigh 400 pounds. I am assuming you were 400 pounds the week before that and the week before that.
    Which leads me to believe that you are not gonna get on the scale after a week and weigh 150 pounds.

Bottom line here is: SLOW AND STEADY. If you are losing 1-2 pounds a week, that is 100 pounds in a year. I bet it took longer to gain the hundred than lose the hundred.

SLOW AND STEADY.

While this is definitely true for the most part I did just want to add that the heavier you are, the faster you lose pounds of weight/fat. The "2 pounds a month, tops" rule is kind of for people who are average to overweight, not obese. So you have the potential to lose a lot more than 100 lbs in a year if you are trying and doing everything right! But it is most important that you please speak to a doctor about exactly what you should be doing...although MFP offers tons of support and good advice, it's better to be safe than sorry. And furthermore, a physician can most likely help you maximize your weight loss by providing specific nutrition and exercise plans, and possibly some supplements to help you along your journey. Good luck!

***I did mean WEEK, sorry! :)
  • jammiemd
    jammiemd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you for responding. I know that it took a while for me to gain all of this weight, so I need to realize that it's not going to come off over night...although that would be awesome. I havent weighed since after the first week. Im weighing tomorrow. Maybe I have lost weight and I just feel like I haven't because i'm having a yucky day. My diary is open...or so I thought. I will go check it and make sure. So, end result-I think im going to increase to at least 1200 calories, more protein, and a lot more exercise. Thanks everyone! (and hopefully I will have some weight loss to post tomorrow!)
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have a thought or two.

SLOW AND STEADY.

While this is definitely true for the most part I did just want to add that the heavier you are, the faster you lose pounds of weight/fat. The "2 pounds a month, tops" rule is kind of for people who are average to overweight, not obese. So you have the potential to lose a lot more than 100 lbs in a year if you are trying and doing everything right! But it is most important that you please speak to a doctor about exactly what you should be doing...although MFP offers tons of support and good advice, it's better to be safe than sorry. And furthermore, a physician can most likely help you maximize your weight loss by providing specific nutrition and exercise plans, and possibly some supplements to help you along your journey. Good luck!

I said 2 pounds per week, not month. Which would be 100 a year. And yes, I agree that someone so large could possibly lose more than that. BUT, by expecting more weight loss and not getting it, could cause one to get discouraged and revert back to eating out of depression. I would rather expect the 1-2 pounds and if I lost a pound or two more than that, be very excited.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    more food and some exercise? you didn't mention anything about that...
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I would say definitely get some exercise in there. If your metabolism is in a coma, you gotta wake it up. To wake it up, focus on burning more calories. Even going for a daily walk will send the message.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you are going to start exercising you will need to up your calorie intake even more than 1200. I go by what MFP says, eat back my exercise calories and am loosing 1.5-2 pounds per week.
  • julk_1212
    julk_1212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes! Eat 1200 a day and exercise. Try some fun classes... Maybe Zumba. Also I see you have lost 6 pounds according to your tracker. That's actually really good. You probably won't feel different for a while... It takes time. Trust me a few months from now you will start to feel it and it will feel good! Good luck! Just don't give up!!
  • ilitos
    ilitos Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you for responding. I know that it took a while for me to gain all of this weight, so I need to realize that it's not going to come off over night...although that would be awesome. I havent weighed since after the first week. Im weighing tomorrow. Maybe I have lost weight and I just feel like I haven't because i'm having a yucky day. My diary is open...or so I thought. I will go check it and make sure. So, end result-I think im going to increase to at least 1200 calories, more protein, and a lot more exercise. Thanks everyone! (and hopefully I will have some weight loss to post tomorrow!)
    On top of what everybody else just said, I would recommend a book called Eat your way to weight loss.
    In general what you need to do is on top of your 1200 calories have two full plates of vegetables or salad, with lemon/lime and olive oli. When I plateaued I started doing this, and even if my calories went up to 1500, I've started loosing weight again 2 punds a week average.
    Good luck... keep it up
  • ilitos
    ilitos Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    On top of what everybody else just said, I would recommend a book called Eat your way to weight loss.
    In general what you need to do is on top of your 1200 calories have two full plates of vegetables or salad, with lemon/lime and olive oli. When I plateaued I started doing this, and even if my calories went up to 1500, I've started loosing weight again 2 punds a week average.
    Good luck... keep it up

AND!!!!! beofre I forget, at least 12 almonds or walnuts... so follow whatever you are already doing and add the vegetables with the oliveoil/lime dressing and nuts, nuts are so important!
    UFF!
    I almost forget...
  • Jenn264
    Jenn264 Posts: 43
    Options
    I went over your diary ( hope you dont mind :)) I would say stop eating the fast food so much, I know it is difficult trust me! Make sure you are eating Breakfast Lunch and Dinner for sure and I always have a snack between meals. Usually a fruit or special k granola bar, depends on the day. It doesn't show me your sodium but it seems as though a lot of what you eat is high in sodium so I would watch that for sure. Now I'm no expert but this is just some advice I would give to you! Good luck on your weight loss, keep your head up, you WILL get there!! :) Don't give up!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!