Warrior Dash Hate?

Options
I had a friend who did a warrior dash and loved it. He recommend it to me and I though it was kind of a neat goal to train for.

I went online to do a little research and found myself on a running forum. Most of the marathon runners thought warrior dash is a joke and only for "hobby runners." Basically thought less of anyone who competed.

It looks fun and challenging to me and just wondered where all the hate was coming fun.

Anyone do it? Thoughts on it?

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Warrior Dash is fun. It's not a marathon. Maybe marathon runners need to develop a sense of humor.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    You encountered some run snobs I take it. I've done a Warrior Dash and thoroughly enjoyed it. Warrior Dash is meant to be fun and it is. You get to jump over fire and enjoy a free beer afterward. You don't compete - you participate, and have a great time doing it.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Apples and oranges.

Marathons are about endurance. Warrior Dash is about obstacles. It just happens to incorporate running.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just did my first WarriorDash(with 3 friends) and had a blast!

This is not a marathon- never advertised as such . . . it's a 5K with obstacles . . .oh, and there is some mud.

Not everyone wants to or can run 26+miles. For those that can and do, more power to ya! Don't be hating those
    of us who choose to find other activies to keep our heart's pumpin'.

I'm new to running, having run my first 5K in 2010 and my 2nd the following year. To be honest, I'm not a fan
    of running at all, but am always seeking new and challanging goals to work toward. The Warrior Dash fit
    the bill perfectly! A 3.1 mile course broken up with 12 obstacles along the way. I was able to complete all
    the obstacles and think most fairly active folks should be able to do the same.

Now a Tough Mudder? That's a different story! It's like a WarriorDash . . on crack! 15 miles and many more, and
    much tougher obstacles. Not sure I'll ever be ready to get over a 12 footwall (no rope, no ledges), half pipes,
    and eletricution therapy lol! To compare to a Warrior Dash would be Little League baseball to Major League.

Look up WarriorDash online for more info. It might be something you want to try!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Oh you must have visited Runner's World online. :laugh:

And, BTW I know a lot of marathon runners who also do these kinds of races just for the fun of it.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I have done a WD with friends for fun and it was a neat challenge and a really wonderful experience. It allowed me to race with friends of varying levels of athleticism on a more even playing field and everyone had a fabulous time.

Apples and oranges indeed. I've encountered some negative feedback from runners on MFP, but it's few and far between. Some people just take themselves too seriously and think that everyone else ought to as well.

I say do it, don't expect it to be a marathon, and have a great time :wink:
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Every sport is going to have snobs that think their sport is the best.... just as you'll likely find amongst Warrior Dash people. Odds are, there are many who think the obstacles makes it a tougher activity. It's unavoidable.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Apples and oranges.

Marathons are about endurance. Warrior Dash is about obstacles. It just happens to incorporate running.

This.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    You encountered some run snobs I take it. I've done a Warrior Dash and thoroughly enjoyed it. Warrior Dash is meant to be fun and it is. You get to jump over fire and enjoy a free beer afterward. You don't compete - you participate, and have a great time doing it.

THIS. Definitely this.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Warrior Dash is fun. It's not a marathon. Maybe marathon runners need to develop a sense of humor.

This! I know lots of people that are CRAZY runners and still to do warrior dash and love it. My hubby did it and had lots of fun. When he gets back, we are going to do one together.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My cousin is a distance runner. He ran cross country all through high school. He did the warrior dash in Ohio and loved it. I on the other hand would drown in mud.
  • ironmom77
    ironmom77 Posts: 45
    Options
    I am a marathoner, and I have also done some "Mud Runs". You have definitely encountered some running snobs. They need to get over it. Mud Runs are a great way to break the monotony of training runs, they are fun, and the best part: THERE IS BEER AT THE END!!

Anyway, who cares what a bunch of pretentious, self absorbed strangers think? If you want to do it, then do it! Besides, those snobs may not even be runners. They may be just a bunch of pretenders hiding out behind a keyboard instead of pounding the pavement.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I did BeachPalooza (put on by same people) last year. Same idea as WD, but on the beach. I had fun. I'd like to do WD and the zombie 5K also.
  • morgansmama
    morgansmama Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just did a Warrior Dash at the beginning of May and it was my first time doing it! I've been running for the past year to get prepared for it and I still had to walk (after coming out of the water, when I was weighing a little more than I expected with my shoes full of mud!)...while I was walking, a guy jogged by me and my husband and said, "this is Warrior Dash, not Warrior Walk!!!!"...needless to say, I flipped him the bird and hoped karma struck him down during the race. It was SUPER fun and I am looking forward to doing it again!! I would recommend it to anyone! :)
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I ran a marathon 3 weeks ago. I did a warrior dash yesterday. Two entirely different experiences for sure, but you know what, my quads are screaming worse today than they did after 26.2!!!

Go for it! You'll be glad you did!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Some people just need to convince themselves that they are superior to someone else. The term hobby runners is just downright smug.

I'm running one in July with my SIL. She's a marathoner, and she's pumped for it.

She also doesn't have her head up her *kitten*.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Oh you must have visited Runner's World online. :laugh:

And, BTW I know a lot of marathon runners who also do these kinds of races just for the fun of it.

This was my first thought! LOL!! Glad Im not the only one that feels that way about the site!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Ha, I imagine they would frown on the zombie run I want to do come Halloween! I have heard the warrior dash is a lot of fun, but I just can't get past all that mud. Groooss!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I did my first Warrior Dash last year, and we (family) are doing the dirty dash this year. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge, it was purely for fun fitness. I am currently training to do my first half marathon and it is about maxing myself and reaching further lengths. If I were a very serious runner I might worry about injury in the warrior dash.

I'd plan on doing one every year or at least one like it, and as far as marathons go, I'd like to do a half this year a full next and I have lofty probably out of reach dreams of running a 50 mile race before my 50th birthday, I have 8 years.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I did one and had a blast!! They are right, it's obviously not like a normal run, but it was *WAY* harder than any other 5k or 10k that I've ever done. All of the obstacles made it very challenging and I was exhausted the rest of the day. It was a good feeling though and was proud of myself for finishing. When else do you have the chance to climb walls and do a crazy obstacle course like that? It's an experience more than anything. The only issue I have with it is the price, but I have that issue with all races.

Anyway, I agree with you, it's great to have a goal to train for so you should go ahead and sign up. It's fun getting all muddy at the end too- just bring a change of clothes, LOL.