Does anyone else have a sassy mouth?

Options
msradio
msradio Posts: 165 Member
I have a 14 yr old daughter whose moth is out of control! She is the only child and it seems that taking away cell phones, punishments are not working! I love my child but there are times I really dont like her as a person I know thats terrible to say but if u met her you would see why! Everything I say she has to say somthing back, talking under her breath, rolling her eyes the list goes on, i know everyone keeps telling thats a teenage girl for you! But to me thats no excuse if my grarnadparents or parents were still alive her teeth would be down her throat they were old school! I'm at my wits end does anyone out there have this prob if so what do you DO?

Replies

• kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My daughter just turned 7 and has such a mouth I shutter to think what she may be like at 14yrs
    :flowerforyou:
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Out of control moth is the last thing you want.

c4859a14.jpg
  • Tamaralea88
    Tamaralea88 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    no but I was a teenager with a sassy mouth lol,I use to fight and argue with my mom all the time, we didnt see eye to eye on anything and one day she sat me down and asked me about my life outside of the home, these underlying issues made me realize why I was so angry at anyone and everyone that tried to talk to me! My mom is wonderful and we are best friends now
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    LOL @ Picola. Love it.

I don't have kids, so don't have any experience to share with the OP, but I used to be just like your daughter. I still have a sassy mouth, but I did lose some of the attitude as I got older. Couldn't even tell you how or when, but she will grow out of it eventually. Maybe there's something she's upset about that she needs to talk to someone about? I know a lot of my sass came from being angry at my situation (at that age).

Good luck to you though!
  • Alexandria_JB
    Options

c4859a14.jpg

omg... hahahaha.
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My daughter is about to be 8, and she is pretty mouthy. We have tried many things to get her to stop being not only mouthy but whiny and etc. So we will take things away from her like you have stated you have, and we have even spanked her butt. My friend told me to give her the silent treatment but I'm not sure this will work in your case. Maybe try sitting down and talking to her like another person had said or maybe she needs to see a counselor or therapist. I'm at my wits end sometimes that I may be about to do the same thing because I can never get anything out of her. I don't understand her logic.

Good luck!
  • axannamorgan
    Options

c4859a14.jpg

WIN.

3623t8.jpg
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have a potty mouth. Apparently. :bigsmile:
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    My 15 year old stepson does at times... and my 7 year old daughter does at times...lol
  • shonuff221
    shonuff221 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a 14yr boy who mouths sometimes..its that age...I shut him down quickly though lol..They're just trying to push the boundaries..not in my house.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I teach 12-14 year olds every day and this seems pretty typical to me. If they talk that way to me (and they do) I'm certain they're worse with their parents. I remember the things I said to my mom at that age and I cringe. But my mom DID slap my face a few times for it! Deservedly so, in my opinion.

I know it doesn't help you to hear "it's just how teenagers are" but...it's just how teenagers are. Unfortunately. :ohwell:
  • siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options

c4859a14.jpg

Holy crap ahahahah
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have a 17 year old son with this issue. No one really hears it but me though...
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I teach 12-14 year olds every day and this seems pretty typical to me. If they talk that way to me (and they do) I'm certain they're worse with their parents. I remember the things I said to my mom at that age and I cringe. But my mom DID slap my face a few times for it! Deservedly so, in my opinion.

I know it doesn't help you to hear "it's just how teenagers are" but...it's just how teenagers are. Unfortunately. :ohwell:

My daughter has made mouthy comments to me.

Twice.

That was the resolution.

And understand...my daughter and I love each other dearly...for over 13 of her 14yrs, I've been her only parent. That fact...combined with the abrupt shock of my immediate and unflinching response to her attempts at serious attitude, ended it.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm a sassy mouth. Really badly. My parents used to just slap me in the mouth when I sassed them. I still, to this day, do not sass back to my parents. My parents didn't take me disrespecting them, and now I could never imagine blatantly being disrespectful/****ty to them. Ever.
  • M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options
    My 12yo is the same way...her favorite phrase is "LeeMeeeLone!" or Leave me alone in regular speak...ugh!

I make her write bible verses about respecting your elders....and we have long talks about it afterwards. I wan't her to understand WHY her methods of rebelling are not working and what she can do to express herself in a more positive way.

She usually apologizes and this works for a few days (or hours) then Repeat the above!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm a sassy mouth. Really badly. My parents used to just slap me in the mouth when I sassed them. I still, to this day, do not sass back to my parents. My parents didn't take me disrespecting them, and now I could never imagine blatantly being disrespectful/****ty to them. Ever.

See, it works lol.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

My daughter has made mouthy comments to me.

Twice.

That was the resolution.

And understand...my daughter and I love each other dearly...for over 13 of her 14yrs, I've been her only parent. That fact...combined with the abrupt shock of my immediate and unflinching response to her attempts at serious attitude, ended it.

My granny would use the back of a comb and smack me upside the head if I sassed her (not too hard, but effective.) Southern women don't play. :laugh:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ^ agree with this southern women dont play but add to that my family is west indian, so sassy mouthed beatdowns were EPIC

i also have a sassy mouth. i was hit numerous times with whatever was handy... a wooden spoon my mom was stirring tea with, a house shoe, a flip flip, a hair brush, etc. eventually it got so bad i got the switch :cry: if you've never had to endure that type of torture consider yourself lucky. needless to say, i'm stubborn but i eventually learned to keep my grumbles to myself after the switching.

oh and in my family, sass mouthing included ee rolling, side eyeing, foot stomping and door slamming
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It is not because "it's how the teenagers acts" that you should just give in....
    Patience, it will pass hopefully but she needs to still know where the limits are even if she rolls her eyes.... just let her roll the eyes and you be the parent.... hold your ground, they are testing any weakness....
    You should wonder how she is around other parents....