Where do I find tahini?

Options
I want to make hummus but I have no idea where to find tahini in the grocery store.

Replies

• Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It's with the olives and condiments in my store.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My walmart didnt carry it for a long time so I got it at a food coop. However, walmart started carrying it in the aisle where all the random foods are from a variety of cultures that dont fit anywhere else. Same aisle as the huge jars of pickles and mustard. :)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I've seen it at Trader Joe's.
  • Ninikins2
    Ninikins2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Our Dillons has it with the Asian food. I don't think Walmart has it.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It's in the peanut butter section with the other nut/seed butters.
  • erinmshafer
    erinmshafer Posts: 19
    Options
    I haven't seen it at Walmart, but my local Hy Vee has it with the ethnic foods. There are a lot of recipes out there, though, for hummus without the tahini. The taste isn't quite the same, but it can be done. If you want the taste of the sesame without buying tahini, you could also use sesame seeds. Use them whole for texture or grind them as best you can (just depends on what you're using for that job - anything from crushing them in a ziploc baggie to putting them in a coffee grinder would get you close). Hope that helps.
  • lyndabw
    lyndabw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    it isusually found in the asian section, but the best one is in a health food store,.
    keep in mind a little goes along long way so get a smal can or jar.
    i think there is different types available so check with a person in the store , they can be huge helpers, even with some great receipes.

lynda:flowerforyou: