"Mostly" plant-based diet, but not vegan/vegetarian?

Options
enewsome2
enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
Hey all,

I know this can be a bit controversial....
Hopefully this board doesn't get clogged up with hatemail.

I am looking for like-minded individuals to friend.

Recently, I was inspired by "Forks over knives" to eat a more "plant-based" diet.

I am not a Vegan or Vegetarian, however, I am trying to keep my diet as plant-based as possible, keeping it around 75% Vegan.

Anyone else out there like this?

Replies

• LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Why is this controversial? Did I miss something?

I fit into this category of mostly plant-based but not vegan or veg. I love eating red meat every so often.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Just watched 3 different documentaries today : Food Inc, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead PLUS Forks over Knives. All of which were AMAZING movies to see, and were TRUE eye openers.

I am the same way as you, not sure that I am ready for a strictly vegetarian/vegan diet, but am looking into cutting back on my dairy and meats. Then also WHERE I get my meat and dairy products from, that is a VERY important part of it also.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I plan to move into a vegetarian/vegan based diet. I've recently had to do a lot of research into animal testing and animals raised for consumption (for a school project) and animal cruelty aside, the meat that's hitting the shelves isn't in any way natural and I don't like that. Even organic food is full of additives and growth enhancers.

I've been scouring the boards trying to find information for people changing over to a vegetarian diet and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info! Any websites with recipes, meal plans, etc. would be a so helpful... any tips on getting those high protein numbers without meat or eggs? Or getting the calcium without dairy? I think i'm going to do some research in the farms in my area and see if any of them farm completely naturally, as I wouldn't be opposed to eating food that was produced in a natural way.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Why is this controversial? Did I miss something?

I fit into this category of mostly plant-based but not vegan or veg. I love eating red meat every so often.

I know some "hardcore" Vegans in my "real" life, and they get a little annoyed by non-pure "Vegans" or "Vegetarians".

I just realized I am a "Flexitarian", but I think that is most people... Lol.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I plan to move into a vegetarian/vegan based diet. I've recently had to do a lot of research into animal testing and animals raised for consumption (for a school project) and animal cruelty aside, the meat that's hitting the shelves isn't in any way natural and I don't like that. Even organic food is full of additives and growth enhancers.

I've been scouring the boards trying to find information for people changing over to a vegetarian diet and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info! Any websites with recipes, meal plans, etc. would be a so helpful... any tips on getting those high protein numbers without meat or eggs? Or getting the calcium without dairy? I think i'm going to do some research in the farms in my area and see if any of them farm completely naturally, as I wouldn't be opposed to eating food that was produced in a natural way.

Almond milk for calcium without dairy. I compared unsweetened almond milk with skim, 1%, 2%, and whole milk, it had more calcium. You can also take a calcium supplement
  • thistime24
    thistime24 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I eat some fish and cheese but no eggs, chicken, pork or beef. I found that allowing some fish and cheese made it a whole lot easier to eat the occasional meal out.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    why aren't you going full out vegan? What's stopping you? Something made you change your mind to eat more plants and less meat, but why not cut it out and dairy?
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My goal is not to change your mind but rather push you to think more deeply about the matter. People who switch to vegan or vegetarianism for health reasons are simply not knowledgeable on the matters of health and how meat really effects it. It's difficult to sift through a lot of the garbage. This is a complicated matter but I'll just get to the point. You watched a documentary, one with a specific goal and one that is very bias to that goal. Do you think they would love to provide you with all the details? They simply provided one side of the coin and you took it at face value. Nothing in nutrition should be taken at face value. Again, it's hard to trust people. So many people with so many credentials and differing views. Who to believe?

To say the least, meat isn't ruining your health and anyone who tells you otherwise generally provides correlational studies that do not sufficiently establish causation. There are cultures who eat a lot of meat and a lot of saturated fat and live relatively healthy lifestyles and long ones at that. Health is more than simply food. I believe one's mental well-being (namely stress-related) affects a person's health far more than food. You'll probably do more damage worrying about your food than actually consuming it. ;)
  • scoutit
    scoutit Posts: 36
    Options
    My goal is not to change your mind but rather push you to think more deeply about the matter. People who switch to vegan or vegetarianism for health reasons are simply not knowledgeable on the matters of health and how meat really effects it. It's difficult to sift through a lot of the garbage. This is a complicated matter but I'll just get to the point. You watched a documentary, one with a specific goal and one that is very bias to that goal. Do you think they would love to provide you with all the details? They simply provided one side of the coin and you took it at face value. Nothing in nutrition should be taken at face value. Again, it's hard to trust people. So many people with so many credentials and differing views. Who to believe?

To say the least, meat isn't ruining your health and anyone who tells you otherwise generally provides correlational studies that do not sufficiently establish causation. There are cultures who eat a lot of meat and a lot of saturated fat and live relatively healthy lifestyles and long ones at that. Health goes simply food. I believe one's mental well-being (namely stress-related) affects a person's health far more than food. You'll probably do more damage worrying about your food than actually consuming it. ;)
  • scoutit
    scoutit Posts: 36
    Options
    Whoops. I'm clearly a big fail at figuring out how to quote and comment. I would like to add to the discussion though...AeolianHarp I would agree with you that stress factors into health in a big way but I do believe there is plenty of research proving that the diets our cattle are fed have reduced Omega 3, and increased Omega 6s. Natural meat (free range, grass fed) should have a 1-1 ratio. The problem also exists in poultry. If you choose to eat meat I would suggest grass fed beef and organic chicken. I eat about 3 oz of organic chicken several times per week, but have given up other animal based proteins. Some day I hope to give up the chicken as well.

By the way I did watch Forks over Knives and I agree that it had an agenda and also that it did not prove cause and effect in many of the claims it made. I based my dietary changes on a book by David Servan-Schreiber MD, PhD called anti-cancer: a new way of life. He provides all the science and discusses if the info is correlation or causation. I would highly recommend.
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think Michael Pollen summed it up best in "In Defense of Food":

Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

:)
  • KayKaayy66
    KayKaayy66 Posts: 4
    Options
    It makes me so happy to see people who are changing their lifestyle in a healthier, more environmentaly friendlly way. Congrats. (:

I have been a vegetarian my whole life, and been a vegan for about a year now !
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    Options
    I did this after watching the same documentary and also Sick, Fat, and (whatever else its called, lol)! I ended up losing weight in a short while but everytime I do it I end up getting sick =\ I am looking to do it again very soon!!
  • gretta987
    gretta987 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    People ask me if I'm a vegetarian all the time, because I love vegetables and eat a lot of them. :) I'm not a vegetarian--I like fish, and occasionally eat red meat (perhaps once or twice per month).
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options

This.
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think your approach is great. Whilst i would love the whole world to wake up tomorrow and be vegan, i am a realist!

The most obvious benifit you will find eating fresh foods is that you'll cut out alot of salt, sugar and fats that are in most pre-made or pre-packaged foods. Just eat a balanced diet and pay attention to what you're really eating. For example i love oreos but they are little more than cocoa and sugar providing me with little to no nutritional value. Just by being aware of whats in our food helps us make better choices.

Good luck with it.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: I call myself a "Vegetarian Wanna-Be" I seldom eat red meat (although I do enjoy an very occasional steak). But I do eat Turkey, Fish and Dairy. If I fit your category, I'd be glad to join your group.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian or vegan - but I only have meat 2-3 times a week. I like my eggs and milk in my coffee to much, and think its very difficult to be a proper vegan. I have slowly been switching to almond milk to use less dairy though. I do eat fish too - usually tuna because of the high protein count. I don't actually like any other fish or seafood so that's easy. I started off doing Meatless Monday and by doing this I was encouraged to look at other meatless meal options, whether is was cooking at home or out. We've found some yummy recipes and vegetarian things. I love falafel, tofu and other yummy things I'd never have discovered had I not changed my diet, just one day a week. I do like meat though, but as I said above, really only limit it to around 3 days a week.

I have a friend who is 100% vegan though and I see the struggle she goes through every day. The questions, the looks and the difficulty she has eating out in public (finding things on menus to eat etc). And it goes as far as the wine she will drink. This is the main reason I could never be vegan.

My diary is open for anyone who is looking for ideas.
  • Timkoetta
    Timkoetta Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I dont know anything about In Defense of Food but I agree with the statement!

If you think about it, eating 75% plant is really just eating naturally. Add some protein, maybe a little bread and there ya go. :)
  • Lspike92
    Lspike92 Posts: 20
    Options

To say the least, meat isn't ruining your health and anyone who tells you otherwise generally provides correlational studies that do not sufficiently establish causation. There are cultures who eat a lot of meat and a lot of saturated fat and live relatively healthy lifestyles and long ones at that. Health is more than simply food. I believe one's mental well-being (namely stress-related) affects a person's health far more than food. You'll probably do more damage worrying about your food than actually consuming it. ;)

^^Exactly. I tried out vegetarianism a while back just for the heck of it. I kept it up for about a year, but it didnt take long before I found myself craving eggs. I had only ever eaten them occasionally before, but after becoming vegetarian, I was going through them like mad. It was because my body wasn't getting enough protein. It's not healthy to cut such an important nutrient from our diet completely. Protein is responsible for supporting brain function and muscle. I really dont know how vegans do it. Everything in moderation is key.