Breakfast Before Early Exercise

Options
Hey gang,

Hoping to pick your brains.

I get up an hour earlier everyday to do exercise before work. I have it timed well so it's not a problem.

I have recently upped my exercise routine, doing the 30 day shred and the 6 week six pack on alternating days.

My problem is that I seem to have less and less power for the strength moves, and I'm assuming this is because I don't eat before I work out.

I can't eat just before I exercise else I get a stitch. I also can't wake up any earlier without being ridiculous.

What do you early morning gym people do to counter act this problem?

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I really have any advice for you....I am an early morning exerciser, and I have to eat before I go (I run, so I definitely need the fuel). I know when I first started out, I would get stitches, but they just went away the more conditioned I got. I would say you definitely need to eat something.... especially if it is affecting your ability to exercise well (ie, losing strength and not being able to get the most out of your exercise). When you feel a stitch coming on, are you stopping and stretching, seeing if you can nip it in the bud?
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    I'm also an early riser. Since I've started serious lifting as part of my bulking cycle, I get up at least an hour and a half prior to going to the gym to have a full breakfast of a cup and half of oats and a protein shake. This tends to fuel my workout pretty well enough. Getting up this early is a bit of a pain but its better than going into your workout to find you dont have energy.
  • dawnkay1
    dawnkay1 Posts: 41
    Options
    I don't know if I really have any advice for you....I am an early morning exerciser, and I have to eat before I go (I run, so I definitely need the fuel). I know when I first started out, I would get stitches, but they just went away the more conditioned I got. I would say you definitely need to eat something.... especially if it is affecting your ability to exercise well (ie, losing strength and not being able to get the most out of your exercise). When you feel a stitch coming on, are you stopping and stretching, seeing if you can nip it in the bud?

I can't really stop during my work outs, as they are all fast paced twenty minute cardio-type things (Jillian Michaels).

I wonder if it would help to drink a protein shake before I start - how long after you eat do you wait before you exercise?

Do you have to wait a certain amount of time for the food to start digesting before the energy kicks in? Weird question I know, but I'm trying to get my head around this eating/exercising thing :smile:
    I'm also an early riser. Since I've started serious lifting as part of my bulking cycle, I get up at least an hour and a half prior to going to the gym to have a full breakfast of a cup and half of oats and a protein shake. This tends to fuel my workout pretty well enough. Getting up this early is a bit of a pain but its better than going into your workout to find you dont have energy.

What time do you get up in the morning? Like 4am? lol :noway:
  • MichelleKacz
    Options
    I'm an early morning trainer too. I know I should, but I've never eat before I exercised and have never struggled with low energy. I think it’s because my overall diet mostly consists of fresh produce (I even make sauces from scratch so no preservatives are in my system). I think diet plays a huge role Dawn. I know you’ve gotten better recently, but in the past I’ve read your diary and wondered how you serviced on such little food. Every single plate I ate is a mini mountain of food, and because I stick to fresh stuff, my calorie intake is still relatively low – hence why I firmly believe no one has to starve to lose weight, they just have to eat the right stuff and get as much variety in as possible. But to answer your question, I recon a protein drink or a banana when you wake up is a winner on both a time and nutritious front, and my guess would be you could start your exercise 20mins after ingestion?
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Just eat 10 almonds and or a an 8 oz protein shake ( I use Body Fortress Chocolate ... 26g protein mixed with cool water ). You really need " something " in your body to maximize your workouts or your kinda defeating your purpose. Google " pre workout foods " ... there is a list of small things you can digest that won't give you the " stitch ".

Have an awesome day AND an awesome workout ! :smile:

PS ... Be sure to stay well hydrated ! H2O is your best friend !
  • dawnkay1
    dawnkay1 Posts: 41
    Options
    ~ Just eat 10 almonds and or a an 8 oz protein shake ( I use Body Fortress Chocolate ... 26g protein mixed with cool water ). You really need " something " in your body to maximize your workouts or your kinda defeating your purpose. Google " pre workout foods " ... there is a list of small things you can digest that won't give you the " stitch ".

Have an awesome day AND an awesome workout ! :smile:

PS ... Be sure to stay well hydrated ! H2O is your best friend !

Thanks for the info. I will do the Google thing. I don't mind eating before workout (if it's quick), but I can't bear the 'stitch'!
    I'm an early morning trainer too. I know I should, but I've never eat before I exercised and have never struggled with low energy. I think it’s because my overall diet mostly consists of fresh produce (I even make sauces from scratch so no preservatives are in my system). I think diet plays a huge role Dawn. I know you’ve gotten better recently, but in the past I’ve read your diary and wondered how you serviced on such little food. Every single plate I ate is a mini mountain of food, and because I stick to fresh stuff, my calorie intake is still relatively low – hence why I firmly believe no one has to starve to lose weight, they just have to eat the right stuff and get as much variety in as possible. But to answer your question, I recon a protein drink or a banana when you wake up is a winner on both a time and nutritious front, and my guess would be you could start your exercise 20mins after ingestion?

Thanks Mich. I am on all natural foods now as well, and it has really helped with EVERYTHING in my life. It's quite amazing what processed food does to the body. I am now starting to filter the natural stuff into my guys as well lol. Becoming a total hippy this side ha ha. I will give the banana before work out a go.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat before my DVD workouts if I'm starting early, but if I'm going to run, or if it's going to be awhile between waking and workout time, I'll eat a slice of toast with almond butter on it. It's not heavy and gives me the fuel I need.