Thoughts on Shakeology...

Options
2»

Replies

• Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    It isn't sold where I live, so I only know what I've read about it on MFP (which is quite a lot because it gets discussed pretty regularly!).

My best suggestion is to think about what you expect it to do for you... no shake (or any single food for that matter) is magically going to make you lose weight. All it is going to do is to add some protein or other nutrients to your diet.
    If you are getting enough of these from the food you eat, then it won't do anything.
    If you are deficient in something and the shake or supplement that you choose adds that, then it's useful.

Personally I wouldn't go for Shakeology even if I could get it - but that's because I rarely drink protein shakes anyway (I'd rather eat my calories than drink them and if I want to drink something I'll make a smoothie myself so I know what has been added to it) but also because I'm not a fan of multilevel marketing schemes - they mostly seem to be designed to make a lot of money for the people at the very top of the pyramid by taking advantage of all the suckers down below.

^^^this. I get all of my nutrients from the food I eat daily. If I need something extra after a heavy workout day, then I have some protein mix with milk, yogurt, berries, and ice. Yum!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing how so many people love it, neither my husband or I could tolerate it. Its gritty and just does not taste good at all to me. For the price, I certainly dont want to grimace to choke it down.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUOBYKJ9Nz_o-IBi82_eB1cx4vsuWtkm91henM8T8_rra-n2o_XQ
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

How much did I spend at the drive thru?
    That would be $0. But then I didn't waste it on miracle shakes either.
  • kriztyn723
    kriztyn723 Posts: 57
    Options
    Never tried it... but I do drink IdealShape which is a meal replacement shake... that is only $40/month and it curbs my appetite and has vitamins in it--and taste pretty good. I buy the chocolate.

It's usually what I Have for breakfast!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I was told by a P90X user that i`d be as well buying Scivation Xtend if i`m in the UK.
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Very little. It is a super rare occasion where I am eating fast food.. It happens maybe once a month if that.. But I appreciate the idea for someone who does eat greasy processed foods a lot.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Not $120!!! LOL, let's see I did have a small choc shake at McD's on my free day for $2.47 and a salad at Wendy's one day when I was stuck out for under $4

For $120 I can buy a LOT of great foods. Still dont think it is worth the price.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,982 Member
    Options
    So, if it's too overpriced as a breakfast, can we have some posts on what you eat/spend for breakfast.

Me:
    3egg whites: ($1.00/12 ) = . 25
    Chesse slice ($4.99/12) = .42
    1/2 shakeology($4/ whole svg) = $2.
    Truvia(8pkts - IDK...$13/100pkts?) = $1.04
    Total for breakfast: $3.71
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Two cups of coffee: .68

Intermittent fasting ftw.
  • The_new_Amy
    The_new_Amy Posts: 29
    Options

This is a good point, the people who are probably best suited for something like shakeology are those who would otherwise eat fast food, something I haven't done in over three years. However, if you are the type of person looking for a quick fix to feed your body, shakeology is a far, far better choice than any drive thru.

I have a box of 50/50 chocolate/greenberry packets that I am going to use now that I've gotten serious about losing weight but only because I already have it on hand. I need to learn more about how to green juice well and make green smoothies to maximum nutritional benefit so the shakes are just a bridge for me right now. I hated the greenberry at first but now I actually like it better than the chocolate. I use water and unsweetened almond milk to mix it with. It's delicious with some frozen berries but the sugars are just too high for me that way.

Personally, I think it's much cheaper to find whole food sources and smoothie/juice them up yourself. I joined a CSA and will be getting a TON of local, organic greens and other produce from this week through October for $400 total.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My cousin is all about it right now. She says, "its all natural" and I said "honey.. its a powder."

I read reviews and the list of ingredients, I don't see how its different than slim fast.

Just juice.
  • jackytj
    jackytj Posts: 7
    Options
    www.myshakeology.com/jackya

or here is the pdf version :)

http://myshakeology.com/uploads/fckeditor/mdbody/File/downloads/ShakeologyCocoa.pdf
  • duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I felt that it smelled like cat urine. It was the chocolate. I couldn't get past the smell even after mixing it up with peanut butter.