Morning Workouts

Options
I am a snooze button junkie. I have it timed so I can hit like 3 times prior to getting up. I am wanting to start doing morning workouts because it is so hot here in the evenings (suppose to be 90+ today). So I have a couple questions!

1) Do you eat anything prior to working out?
2) Do you drink anything prior to working out?
3) How do you get the motivation to get your butt out of bed in the morning even when you are dog tired?

Thanks so much for any helpful advice. I know me not getting out of bed in the morning is just laziness!

Replies

• lexington87
    lexington87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Definatly have water before (and during) your workout. You've gone all night without hydrating your body needs it especially first thing. As for eating I will normally have my shake before I workout so that I have fuel in me to run on.

For motivation- the first few times are brutal, I am also a snooze junkie, but once you do it a few times you will realize how much better and energized you feel through the day. By doing it in the morning you can't skip it and don't have all day to come up with excuses for why you want to/need to skip (read self sabotage) your night workout.
  • amylynn96
    amylynn96 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I hear ya with the evening workouts not working weither its heat or other reasons. Morning workouts are usually always better esspecially cardio because its sets the pace for your metabolism to burn all day long. I deff would not excerise with no liquid prior not full either. Eating something small for a little energy is smart too, id go for a granola bar or half a grapefruit. Im having an issue where im burning too much to late in the day and not being able to replace the cals so all the busting my butt im doing prolly isnt as effective as it could be for me. I hear ya with the changing of routines. Advice for getting up early i cant help with i need some myself. My sons almost done with school in a couple days and if i want a peaceful me time workout its gonna have to be early morning :yawn:
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    Definatly have water before (and during) your workout. You've gone all night without hydrating your body needs it especially first thing. As for eating I will normally have my shake before I workout so that I have fuel in me to run on.

For motivation- the first few times are brutal, I am also a snooze junkie, but once you do it a few times you will realize how much better and energized you feel through the day. By doing it in the morning you can't skip it and don't have all day to come up with excuses for why you want to/need to skip (read self sabotage) your night workout.

Exactly! Working out in the morning means no excuse and I have plenty of time to do it. In the evenings, it is so easy for me to ditch them! Thanks for the help!
  • jbcharles
    jbcharles Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time with this one too, although I do know when I do it, I feel so proud of myself and I do enjoy that time of day. For me I think the key is going to bed around 10. I agree too, that is helps sets the metabolism, and/or gets it on the right track.
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    I hear ya with the evening workouts not working weither its heat or other reasons. Morning workouts are usually always better esspecially cardio because its sets the pace for your metabolism to burn all day long. I deff would not excerise with no liquid prior not full either. Eating something small for a little energy is smart too, id go for a granola bar or half a grapefruit. Im having an issue where im burning too much to late in the day and not being able to replace the cals so all the busting my butt im doing prolly isnt as effective as it could be for me. I hear ya with the changing of routines. Advice for getting up early i cant help with i need some myself. My sons almost done with school in a couple days and if i want a peaceful me time workout its gonna have to be early morning :yawn:

Thank you! :) I am just trying to figure this out and see what I need to do!
  • Kalebsmommy424
    Kalebsmommy424 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Im just getting into working out and its literally impossible for me to do it in the mornings..I start work at 7am..so I get up at 430..shower get dressed ..get my 2 yr old up drop him off 20 mins away at daycare and then make the 45 min commute to work..I usually dont get to sleep until about 10pm..I usually work 7am-7pm 3 times a week..so Im usually home about 8..by the time I get home..feed and bathe him..do homework(yep 33yr old full time college student too) its 1030 and Im getting in the bed..Im ashamed to say i have the 30day shred(ive had it for almost 2 yrs and never took the plastic off of it) and usually the days I dont work OT I try to do a hr at the gym..so if anyone could help I would love to know how I could get excercise in as well
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I do a morning workout (5am). Personally I cannot eat anything prior to working out, just doesn't sit well on my stomach. I run and do circuit training (like a crossfit workout). I do drink a little water while working out but I don't force myself to drink anything prior to working out.

I used to be a snooze button hitter,,,lol... but once you get into the habit of getting up and out the door, it does get easier.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    No.
    Coffee. Sometimes whey protein but not for fuel reasons, for macro-hitting reasons.
    3) How do you get the motivation to get your butt out of bed in the morning even when you are dog tired?

I have a 14 month old son. I have no choice.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:50 to begin my workout at 5:05. I drink water before, during, after. Usually I am not at all hungry so I don't eat until after I have showered. If I do wake up hungry, I will have something light like some orange juice, a few crackers, etc. After my shower I will have eggs and either oatmeal or an English Muffin.

Edited to add motivation: I know that with the kids, if I don't work out in the morning, chances are usually very high that I won't be able to do it at all.
  • gamehen2
    gamehen2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing that day. I get up at 5am to work out. If I'm doing just cardio, then no food, but I do find that coffee helps my stamina a lot. I have a pot with a timer so I can set it the night before to start brewing 15 minutes before I get up. If I'm weight training, then I absolutely have to eat something first. Usually I do 1/2 a scoop of whey protein and 1/2 a banana.

...and always always water! :drinker:
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am going to try my hardest to get up in the am to do this! :) WISH ME LUCK!
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Do you eat anything prior to working out?
    Not everyday. Sometimes, I just have 5-10 almonds or any nuts or 2-3 egg whites.

Do you drink anything prior to working out?
    I drink about 500ml water just before workout, or about 1-1.5 litres during the entire workout.
    QUOTE:

How do you get the motivation to get your butt out of bed in the morning even when you are dog tired?
    Thats the toughest one :D
    I normally think while getting up that even if I dont want to do exercises, just walk off you slacker, watch TV in gym. Trust me, when you see so many people working out in gym, you will yourself get motivated. :drinker:

And to say the least, I have 4 different alarms setup for mornings (each with different ringer) :bigsmile: starting from 5AM till 6AM.

And Good Luck!
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options

1- I don't eat usually. I feel sick if I do. At most I might have a banana or something small like that.
    2- I drink water on my 40 minute ride to the base, where I go run
    3- I'm military so my place of duty is at the gym at 0730 so I have no choice in the matter!
  • Kristi66
    Kristi66 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am very new to the morning workouts and NEVER thought I could do it! Not a morning person, sleep to the last possible second every day. I get up at 5:20AM, feed the dogs, and generally wake up a bit before heading to the gym...goal is to be there @ 6:00AM. While I feed the dogs I drink 1/2 cup of water, not too cold. I also drink down 1 scoop of Whey powder from Costco mixed with 1/2 cup of water. I usually don't eat right after getting out of bed, but if I don't, I feel lightheaded during my workout. I do 30 minutes of Fat Burning on the eliptical, then pushups, squats, lunges, sit-ups, stretches...totaling 1 hour. My goal is to attend some of the 5:45AM classes, but I am not there yet. Taking it slow and just easing into the whole getting back into shape.

I hate to admit it, but working out in the morning makes me feel like a million bucks and the best part is, by the end of your work day...you are free! I end my day with a brisk 45 minute walk with my pups!

I've only been doing this for 1 month...a fellow MFP member inspired me and I see her at the gym in the morning.

Good luck...you can do it!! Keep us posted! :flowerforyou:
  • misspgreenwood
    Options
    I did this today for the first time, and yah know what.. it didnt kill me! So I am now going to try and get exercise in this way (as the evenings can be hit and miss as to when I get home).

I have to get up at 5.00 a m to feed the damn stupid annoying jumping on my head as its light and therefore breakfast time cat anyway... so instead of going back to bed, i did my shread and weights, had a shower and then grabbed 15 mins cuddles with the Chap before getting to work at the normal gettign up and ready time.
  • emmie620
    emmie620 Posts: 3
    Options
    Walk on your lunch breaks before going to find something to eat even if you have a 30min break. It will make you feel better and stronger. Stretch before you get into bed or do some floor exercise before you get into your bed....5min exercises help no matter how small and since you only work 3 days make the most effort to push your body the other 4days even if it means taking an hour break from you books on those days.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am going to try my hardest to get up in the am to do this! :) WISH ME LUCK!
    I'm right there with you - trying to make myself get up. Maybe we can do it together :laugh: