WEIGHT OF THE NATION on HBO

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I am planning on starting to watch this tomorrow- bumping to comment later.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump for the link
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump to watch later thanks.
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    started watching it. It is very sad. Even if it is a "general consensus" like someone posted earlier... it is still sad. My now 5 yr old daughter is considered obese. She never was before. She has grown to love food and also finds it emotionally comforting. I don't know what to do, as I've tried everything the doctors have told me. However, I work full time and can't control what her dad feeds her (we are divorced) or her grandmother while I"m gone. It's so frustrating. I'm hoping in a few years, she will grow out of it.
  • genuinely
    genuinely Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One of the doctors interviewed said Biggest Loser makes him cringe because the punishing workouts aren't as effective as reducing your calories. Reducing calories works, he said, and it's an easier change.
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maryrr88
    maryrr88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just watched this over the weekend. It is indeed scary. Even scarier was that I watched this during a break from reading "Fast Food Nation." Another eye-opener.

Funny that you mention that, as I, too, was reading Fast Food Nation when I first saw this documentary. I am about halfway through part 4, but Weight of the Nation motivated me to walk up the 8 flights of stairs to my cubicle in the mornings instead of taking the elevator. Scary stuff.
  • DeadEyedSuburbanite
    DeadEyedSuburbanite Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's good. You can watch it here: http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films.

Oh brilliant. Seems to be available even outside the US. Sweet, thanks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I watched a piece of it this weekend. Its extremely informative but also depressing because so many people are affected by obesity and so many people seem defeated by it. I am just glad that I found hope and now I'm on the road to fighting mine.

One thing that kind of disturbs me about weight-related documentaries is it lumps everybody into one category and it's not a truly accurate portrait of a society.

On paper, I'm considered "obese" but I bicycle to work every day (btwn 40-80m per week) and take bicycle tours on the weekends. I am extremely active otherwise and I still carry a lot of weight on my bones.

Maybe I am the exception, but I doubt it, especially during the times when people are in the process of losing weight, the outer-shell doesn't always coincide with the inner fitness.

So we make all these assumptions on information we don't really have readily available. In some ways it's a very dangerous position to be in.

I can outrun or outlift many, many people and most people would never think it was possible by looking at me.
    Fitness can be prevalent in obese and overweight people (look at NFL lineman), but the documentary is looking at the mortality and disease rates of obesity. Regardless if you're fit or not, the risks of disease increase if you're in that category.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CherylR165
    CherylR165 Posts: 15
    Options
    Great show. I taped it and watched all 4 parts online. I think everyone should watch it. Even if you're dieting and exercising and trying to lose weight already, there's always room for improvement. We as a society, have to do better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    started watching it. It is very sad. Even if it is a "general consensus" like someone posted earlier... it is still sad. My now 5 yr old daughter is considered obese. She never was before. She has grown to love food and also finds it emotionally comforting. I don't know what to do, as I've tried everything the doctors have told me. However, I work full time and can't control what her dad feeds her (we are divorced) or her grandmother while I"m gone. It's so frustrating. I'm hoping in a few years, she will grow out of it.
    They don't "grow out of it" they will just grow. If you saw the statistics, regardless of income, statis, gender, and ethnicity, young children who are obese WILL become obese adults unless there is intervention. Habits don't change and unless you get them to, they will continue. I wish you luck on this because it's much tougher if you can't get others to agree.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    A fellow pal posted this on my wall. I watched Part 1 last night while working out. It's true motivation. I plan to watch Part 2 tonight. I think everyone should watch this. It's eye opening to see the rapid growth of childhood obesity in the US.

You can watch it on HBO to Go on your iphone/ipod/ipad!
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bump... thanks for the info!
  • JessicaAnnD
    JessicaAnnD Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I love docs and I will be setting my DVR for this one!!
  • BlueDahlia77
    Options
    The parts that opened my eyes were the size of the hearts of obese people and how many calories most people drink in a day. Totally scared me straight, nutrition-wise.
  • BlueDahlia77
    Options
    You can also watch it for free online at http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the person who brough this to our attention. I work in a wellness department and hadn't heard about it. I think it's amazing and should be watched by others. I made sure to send it to our wellness coordinator, to maybe blog about it or post the website for others to watch.

Thank you!