Do you lose weight like this too?

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
When I started this process, I generally would lose small amounts of weight each week. Occasionally I would have a gain, or not lose, but most of the time, I would lose 1 to 1.5 lbs. a week.

Ever since I started running in February, this has changed. On a monthly basis, I'm still losing 3 to 6 lbs. a month, but I don't lose every week. I will frequently stay the same, or even have a small gain, for 2 to 3 weeks a month and then BAM....I lose 2 to 4 lbs. in one week. Don't get me wrong, as long as it comes off, I don't care how, I just found it unusual. Anyone else lose like that too?

Replies

• skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    That has just started to happen to me after losing almost 40 pounds fairly quickly!
    I was losing consistently every week and then it stalled and i have begun a cycle of no loss, slight gain, big loss (3 or 4 pounds!). not sure what it is. i chalk it up to being a complex woman!!
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Did you recently up your exercise intensity? I wonder if that has something to do with it.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Look to see if the weeks you stay the same or gain are the weeks you ovulate or it is TOM. I gain a pound when I ovulate and then lose it plus more later.... just a thought. I didn't have this happen when I was heavier only really since the new year :wink:
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Yes.

Exactly the same and I, too, am a runner. :smile:

It's mostly about water weight from what I understand from my PT friends.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    that's how I've ALWAYS lost!

I'll hit a new low & log it.
    Then I'll appear to gain it all back for the next week or so...
    Then I'll hit a new low again.
    Repeat.

Which is why I only record my losses and not my weekly ups/downs, because it's just too infuriating! :)

Of course I haven't lost anything in like a month, but normally that's how I work >:(
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Same here. Since I started running I've noticed that the scale hasn't moved as much, but when it does it was like 4lbs in a week. I even gained when I first started. I think its the body reacting to a new workout.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I haven't been at this as long (about a month), but it sorta looks like mine is trending that way as well. I was very sedentary before and have been hitting the treadmill about 5x a week now, about an hour at a time, slowly increasing intensity and incline.

Mine is a very small sample though. :)
  • paulmrice
    paulmrice Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same results since I got around 30 lbs. lost. I have upped my intensity on running (alternating intervals and longer runs) and started working in more strength training, so I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it since muscles are starting to show up now !
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing. I lost 30lbs in about 3 months and now I'll do what you're doing, drop a bit, gain a bit then lose 3-4. I also started running. I just tell myself to measure when the scale isn't moving and that usually satisfies me. :)
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options

Repeat.

Which is why I only record my losses and not my weekly ups/downs, because it's just too infuriating! :)

Of course I haven't lost anything in like a month, but normally that's how I work >:(

This is exactly what happens to me!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Repeat.

This is what I do, too. I tried it the other way, recording gains and losses, but that just made me even crazier, so now, I record losses, and if I gain, I have to claw my way back down to the number I recorded, and then get below it. Seems to be working as well as these things ever can.
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Look to see if the weeks you stay the same or gain are the weeks you ovulate or it is TOM. I gain a pound when I ovulate and then lose it plus more later.... just a thought. I didn't have this happen when I was heavier only really since the new year :wink:

^ This! ^

At the start I got really disheartened as my weight would stay the same for a couple of weeks, where others just kept going down. I now avoid the scale during both hormonal times as I gain about 5lbs twice a month. I can only accurately weigh myself once every two weeks, honestly.

It's annoying, but I guess as long as it's going down it's ok. :grumble:
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Totally. My weight loss is like a sine wave on a gentle downward slope. Doesn't bother me any more so long as the trend remains, but it did when I started and didn't have the data to see the trends. Annoys my PT though when it just happens that I weigh the same from week to week - clearly waiting for an opportune moment to overshare about monthlies just to see him panic!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!! I have always been this way....little loses, some gains and then a big loss!! I've decided to put the scale away for a month, its too much stress watching the rollercoaster ride my weight is on!! :)
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight gains from TOM that's doing this. So you're basically losing fat at a steady rate, but some weeks in your cycle you're retaining water, so the scale shows no change or even a small gain. Then the next week or two weeks later, you lose the water weight, and you're still losing fat at the same rate, so that week you get a big drop in the scale, which is actually your fat loss from the last 3 weeks which is finally not being confounded by water weight. IMO there's no need to worry about this so long as the general trend is that you're moving in the right direction. Monthly water weight changes happens to a lot of women. And even if this wasn't happening before, sometimes as you lose fat your monthly cycle can change because your body's changing.
  • omma_to_3
    Options

Nope. Those weeks I'll usually have a gain, but only for a few days so not one I usually have to record on Wednesdays.
  • gwynb041109
    gwynb041109 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This sounds just like me too. It's exactly what I do :)

Repeat.

• skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Did you recently up your exercise intensity? I wonder if that has something to do with it.
    yes, i had! i had added in more treadmill and the couch to 5k training! only this week have i scaled back on my exercise because of my knee injury.
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    Yes! So frustrating. It's actually more like an every other month thing for me. I'll maintain or even gain for a month and then the next it will drop down. I'm convinced it's hormonal, but I do wish there was some way to get rid of the water that I retain during the month!!
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am glad to know that I am not the only one who sees gains then losses and then BAM a 1.5 lb loss. (I have 20lbs to lose) And I'm set up to lose .5 a week so a 1.5 drop is big for me.