What are some good after workout snacks?

Options
Cynkane
Cynkane Posts: 55 Member
I am doing pretty well with watching my calories and exercising and can't wait for the results. However, I need to find some good after workout snacks that will benefit not hinder my progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I hear whey protein is good after a workout. I use a low calorie one and mix it with unsweetened almond milk.
  • jaguar101570
    Options
    If you are doing weight training and trying to put on lean muscle then you want to have 25-35 grams of protein post-workout. Having 10-20 grams of carbs will also help you regain your energy. These amounts are based on your approximate weight.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I like proteins after a workout, whether it is a protein bar or shake, or a homemade meat rollup, etc.
  • pookaness
    pookaness Posts: 15
    Options
    a banana or orange are nice because the potassium (is that right spelling?) helps after a workout. It reduces the cramping after hard workouts...not sure why just going based on what my coaches said when I was on swim team and track in HS.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I love having a protein smoothie after a workout.

1 scoop protein powder (whatever flavor you like)
    1/2 banana
    1 cup milk (skim, soy, almond, etc)
    1/2 cup spinach
    1/2 cup berries (blueberries, strawberries, etc.)
    2 oz. nonfat plain Greek yogurt

Blend and enjoy!
  • amylynn96
    amylynn96 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Usually i will go for the protein shake and im sure a lot of others will say the same. My favorite is a scoop of whey protein,yoplait light yogurt, half cup strawberries,half a banana,handful of fresh spinich (yes spinich you do not taste it but the nutrition is there!) and a splash of skim milk and some ice now blend it up!...i find for me its a good recovery drink around 300 cals and yummy.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I usually have a banana and/or some protein. Though I'm not an expert either!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your workouts are, what you have to watch, and how quickly you want to lose.

Basics are, you need to re-fuel your body (healthy carbs) and you need protein to repair the muscle... I go for a Clif Bar and some mixed nuts (Planters *insert favorite nut* lover's mix), if it was a hardcore workout, I throw in a low fat whey protein shake, or smoothie with ice and fruit.

Don't forget, lots of water :)
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I go for a Chobani greek yogurt. They are 140 calories and 14 grams of protein.
  • LosingFat4Gd
    Options
    Definately a diet protein powder. Helps your muscles to repair after a workout meaning less pain the next day (hopefully!). I use PHD diet whey - contains CLA & green tea which helps fat loss and also flaxseed so its 'bitty' - I blend mine into a fruit smoothie with ice, banana / strawberries / bluberries, greek yogurt & a pint of water. Really filling but not heavy.

Or an chicken salad?
    Egg salad?

If its a snack rather than a meal I'd recommend:
    handful nuts (brazil, almond, pinenuts, cashew - all unsalted / not roasted etc)
    banana
    apple with peanut butter or almond butter (my fav!)

Good luck!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have read and heard that chocolate milk is the perfect after workout snack. I limit myself to one cup. It has something to do with the mix of protein and sugar.
  • EvieNieves
    EvieNieves Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Banana, peanut butter, chocolate flavor protein milkshake... Or just a banana, protein shake, and or cottage cheese with pineapple, or plain cottage cheese with or without crackers.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I am doing pretty well with watching my calories and exercising and can't wait for the results. However, I need to find some good after workout snacks that will benefit not hinder my progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

A banana usually does it for me.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I go for a Chobani greek yogurt. They are 140 calories and 14 grams of protein.

I add Kashi go lean crunch to the yogurt & wash it down with a protein shake.
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    One day I had some left over cold salmon, milk, and some strawberry and banana slices. That was a good day.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    i usually have a protein shake and some peanut butter
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I usually don't have a post work-out snack, I just time my work-outs so that dinner is soon after. If that doesn't work for you, I second all those who suggested a banana, followed by all those who suggested a protein shake.
  • chroniclesofadime
    Options
    I've heard and read that after working out, it's best to eat something high in carbs (to replenish glycogen) and protein (to replenish amino acids) and low in fat.

I actually enjoy eating either a granola bar (my personal favorite is Snackwell's Cinnamon Raisin. 8g of protein, 17g carbs, 3g fiber, and 140 cals) or a fruit & yogurt smoothie post-workout.

Also, rice cakes with peanut butter, a turkey sandwich, or (reduced-fat) cheese and crackers are good options.