Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I usually break my fast around 1pm, after I trained. If there is no medical need, you don't have to eat. Meal timing has no impact on weight loss.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but what if you're not hungry right away in the morning? I wake up at 3:30 am, go for a walk, get ready, and go to work. I'm usually not hungry until at least 7-8:00. Is it bad to wait that long to eat or should I be eating breakfast earlier, even if I don't think I'm hungry?

You don't know what you think you know
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is exactly what it says in the name... "break"ing your "fast", you don't eat at night so your body is running low on fuel. If you're not hungry eat something light like a banana or apple, just give your body SOMETHING to process.

yes you are "breaking a fast", but that doesnt mean you need to eat right away...Im not usually hungry till about 10am or so...I might have coffee or tea, then go about my day and eat when I am hungry.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I quit eating breakfast and am now doing intermittent fasting (IF). Love the results.

see...leangains.com

or see eatstopeat.com

the old myth that breakfast is the most important meal of the day has been repeatedly shown to be false.

there is a real freedom I have found with intermittent fasting and my energy is fantastic.

(I have made some other changes like cutting grains that may be part of the energy thing too so I cant claim IF is the only reason but check it out

I just started this as well and I too like it.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I cant eat as soon as I'm up either its a min of 2-3 hours after waking, for some reason it makes me really sick to my stomache to eat as soon as I get out of bed... I don't think it is horrible.I go with the listening to my body b/c every body is different, and learn to filter out the bad things my body tells me (like ice cream before bed when I'm out of calories).
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    Provided you don't have any medical issues that necessitate eating frequently, and provided you don't have any behavioral issues from not eating (for example, if skipping breakfast causes you to overeat later in the day) then I wouldn't worry about it.

The whole idea of breakfast being "most important" is basically sillyness.

It doesn't "boost your metabolism" as people claim, and additionally there is no harm in short-term periods of not-eating.

www.leangains.com for one well-referenced site about this.

^^^^^^ THIS!!!!!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    That's a great idea. I make protein bars to have as snacks anyway, I could just have one after my walk, before I get ready for work. Thanks for your advice!
    Exactly! Doesnt have to be a whole breakfast but, maybe something like a protein bar, a Special K Bar or even a Carnation or Special K Shake. Just something after your workout to get your metabolism moving. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because, that is what it does, starts your metabolism. Good Luck and I WISH I had your UMPH to be able to get up that early for a workout!! :)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is NOT the most important meal of the day. I personally can't eat in the morning. If I have anything within an hour of getting up, I feel like I am forcing it down, and the idea of eating is nauseating.

Now, if you're really set on eating breakfast, there are two things you can do: make lunch your primary meal of the day, and don't eat late at night (generally after 7 PM). That will make you hungry by the time you get up.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because, that is what it does, starts your metabolism.

your metaboism never stops.

breakfast is not the most important meal of the day.

I am starting to believe that this myth is the result of years of brainwashing. Science has proven repeatedly that it isn't true yet people wont let go of it.
  • katewillbethinx2
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because, that is what it does, starts your metabolism.

Sorry but, nonsense.
  • candi_donovan
    Options
    I am up early, i need about 20 minutes to wake up before I work out. I find if I drink some water before (4 oz) and after my work out (4-8 oz), by the time I am done showering, I am hungry. When I dont drink the water or if I drink a small amount, I dont get hungry.
    I also will eat a protein bar sometimes before I shower, or I will eat it on the car ride to work. Thats what works for me.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Why do people think they have to be hungry to eat?

I try to eat something every 2.5 to 3 hours of awake time no matter what...Even if it's an apple with PB...or Almonds with Brown Rice Cake...
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

Sorry but, nonsense.

Why did that comment make me feel I am at a NASCAR event...and breakfast is the key to ....(START YOUR ENGINES)
    ********************************************************************************************************************
    Why does eating a healthy breakfast help control weight?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    Here are some of the ways that regularly eating a healthy breakfast may help you lose excess weight and maintain your weight loss:

Reduced hunger. Eating breakfast may reduce your hunger later in the day, which may make it easier to avoid overeating. When you skip breakfast, you may feel ravenous later and be tempted to reach for a quick fix — such as vending machine candy or doughnuts at the office. In addition, the prolonged fasting that occurs when you skip breakfast can increase your body's insulin response, which in turn increases fat storage and weight gain. In fact, skipping breakfast actually increases your risk of obesity.

Healthy choices. Eating breakfast may get you on track to make healthy choices all day. When you eat breakfast, you tend to eat a healthier overall diet, one that is more nutritious and lower in fat. When you skip breakfast, you're more likely to skip fruits and vegetables the rest of the day, too.

More energy. Eating breakfast may give you energy, increasing your physical activity during the day. A healthy breakfast refuels your body and replenishes the glycogen stores that supply your muscles with immediate energy. Skipping breakfast is associated with decreased physical activity.So, if you skip breakfast — whether you're trying to save time or cut calories — you may want to reconsider, especially if you're trying to control your weight.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01119
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person to say the least and I rarely eat breakfast aside from my one morning coffee with skim milk. Of course on the odd day that I wake up hungry, I will eat something. I actually enjoy the intermittent fasting. I tend to eat all my calories within a 10 hour window and it has always worked very well for me. I am rarely hungry until about noon so I just have a larger lunch. Two large meals and a small evening snack is much more satisfying for me than several small meals. I have lost 100 pounds using this method.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Sorry but, nonsense.

Why did that comment make me feel I am at a NASCAR event...and breakfast is the key to ....(START YOUR ENGINES)
    ********************************************************************************************************************
    Why does eating a healthy breakfast help control weight?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    Here are some of the ways that regularly eating a healthy breakfast may help you lose excess weight and maintain your weight loss:

Reduced hunger. Eating breakfast may reduce your hunger later in the day, which may make it easier to avoid overeating. When you skip breakfast, you may feel ravenous later and be tempted to reach for a quick fix — such as vending machine candy or doughnuts at the office. In addition, the prolonged fasting that occurs when you skip breakfast can increase your body's insulin response, which in turn increases fat storage and weight gain. In fact, skipping breakfast actually increases your risk of obesity.

Healthy choices. Eating breakfast may get you on track to make healthy choices all day. When you eat breakfast, you tend to eat a healthier overall diet, one that is more nutritious and lower in fat. When you skip breakfast, you're more likely to skip fruits and vegetables the rest of the day, too.

More energy. Eating breakfast may give you energy, increasing your physical activity during the day. A healthy breakfast refuels your body and replenishes the glycogen stores that supply your muscles with immediate energy. Skipping breakfast is associated with decreased physical activity.So, if you skip breakfast — whether you're trying to save time or cut calories — you may want to reconsider, especially if you're trying to control your weight.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01119

These are all behavioral reasons and not physiological reasons. This doesn't make the article invalid by any means, but for those of us that can monitor behavior and make the conclusion as to whether or not skipping breakfast causes us to behave differently, it's perfectly fine to skip breakfast -- purely from a physiological standpoint.

www.leangains.com
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I thought having something in your stomach was important when you start a day of activity. I am more alert and energetic when I have breakfast. If I don't , I feel lathargic. Doesn't hxve to be a lot.....but something. And now its even more important because I have to take my meds with food or I feel sick. And if do any exercising before breakfast I also feel sick.

I skipped breakfast for years and never felt ready for the day when I did. I thought that was just the way it was. Now now.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    IF you do like eating something for breakfast, go right ahead. I'm not saying not eating breakfast is a good tool for success or anything. What I (and others) are saying is that it's not necessary if you can function without it and you aren't having any problems regarding your weightloss or health.

If you don't like to eat in the morning, you don't have to. That's all.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I agree, but some of the posts were making others out to look like idiots. A general statement that you don't what you are talking about if you say breakfast is important, to me seems a bit mean. What would make more sense is what YOU just said....not comments like you don't know what you think you know. Each person knows what is right for them. We aren't cookie cutter beings. And you can't believe everything you read.....on a medical site or an online group.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I agree, but some of the posts were making others out to look like idiots. A general statement that you don't what you are talking about if you say breakfast is important, to me seems a bit mean. What would make more sense is what YOU just said....not comments like you don't know what you think you know. Each person knows what is right for them. We aren't cookie cutter beings. And you can't believe everything you read.....on a medical site or an online group.

I don't believe you (lol)
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am up at 4:30 and have Steel Cut oats by 4:45. It took some getting use to but now I am hungry within the first half hour of waking on any date.