WEIGHT OF THE NATION on HBO

Options

Replies

• Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Fat kids make me sooo sad. Not only is it unhealthy and sets them up for a lifelong battle, but I'm sure they get teased, and that has a huge effect on the self esteem of children. Parents don't want to accept responsibility for their children being fat, but it is all their fault. Whenever I say parents let their kids get fat, my husband corrects me by saying parents MAKE their kids fat.
  • CharityAngel
    CharityAngel Posts: 111
    Options
    Watching later.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    It's good. You can watch it here: http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films.

Thanks for this....I saved it to my favorites to watch later...
  • kskostamikel
    Options
    I watched it online and it is very good. Highly recommend it!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, sounds like something I would love.
  • MrsHallum07
    MrsHallum07 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    started watching it. It is very sad. Even if it is a "general consensus" like someone posted earlier... it is still sad. My now 5 yr old daughter is considered obese. She never was before. She has grown to love food and also finds it emotionally comforting. I don't know what to do, as I've tried everything the doctors have told me. However, I work full time and can't control what her dad feeds her (we are divorced) or her grandmother while I"m gone. It's so frustrating. I'm hoping in a few years, she will grow out of it.

I have a 10 year old son, who is in the same situation. We, me & my children, went through a family weight loss program that is offered where we live, & it was very educational. I do however blame myself for my child being overweight. Alot of it was due to lack of education, which this class taught us pretty much everything I needed to know. I learned that I did not need to put my son on a diet, but to just watch what he was eating, & how much. Plus, it also helped to know that if we could just maintain his weight, as his body grows he will grow into his weight. But he does have to stay active, drink more water instead of sugary drinks, & stop eating after 20 mins to see that his stomach is full. He has lost like 5-6 lbs, & he now tries to be more active. I also went to all of my family & friends homes & told them that he is NOT to be sitting & watching TV, & he is not to have any pop, or kool aid. Nothing with alot of sugar. I also informed them that we are trying to prevent juvenile diabetes, & everyone is very understanding & cooperative. Just an idea might help, There is also www.webMD.com/kids you could check out. Good Luck.
  • Rach911
    Rach911 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's good. You can watch it here: http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films.

Thanks for the link! Heard about it, but don't have HBO. Looking forward to watching it online
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    One of the things that really struck me was the fact that a person who has been overweight/obese and has lost weight compared with a person of the exact same body makeup but has never been overweight or obese will require 20% less calories to maintain their weight. Do you think this holds true even if they increase muscle mass?

The other thing I found truly interesting was the fact that juices, i.e. orange, apple, etc. were said to hold absolutely no nutritional value. They compared them with soft drinks. I myself never drink juice however, my kids at times will. Tell you what, I'm not buying it anymore. Especially after they showed 10 teaspoons of sugar per glass of juice.
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • franklyskarlett
    Options
    bump
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I DON'T want to watch the children one. Nothing makes me more mad than seeing an overweight child. I have 3 kids. Nobody is busier than I am so let's not go down the road of blaming it on that. It is NOT hard to have a child in a healthy weight range. It just isn't. People are lazy. My kids eat healthy but I'm not a food nazi or anything. They get dessert every night but instead of it being a huge bowl of ice cream, it's a (ONE) piece of candy or a small (100 calorie) ice cream sandwhich. Fruit at every meal. Limited TV. It's not rocket science.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the person who brough this to our attention. I work in a wellness department and hadn't heard about it. I think it's amazing and should be watched by others. I made sure to send it to our wellness coordinator, to maybe blog about it or post the website for others to watch.

Thank you!
    I also work in a Wellness Facility and am happy to have passed it on! It's great information and the Bogalusa study is really a great one to see how we've been trending since it's been ongoing since 1983.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jnh17
    Options
    Fat kids make me sooo sad. Not only is it unhealthy and sets them up for a lifelong battle, but I'm sure they get teased, and that has a huge effect on the self esteem of children. Parents don't want to accept responsibility for their children being fat, but it is all their fault. Whenever I say parents let their kids get fat, my husband corrects me by saying parents MAKE their kids fat.

Agreed!
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    started watching it. It is very sad. Even if it is a "general consensus" like someone posted earlier... it is still sad. My now 5 yr old daughter is considered obese. She never was before. She has grown to love food and also finds it emotionally comforting. I don't know what to do, as I've tried everything the doctors have told me. However, I work full time and can't control what her dad feeds her (we are divorced) or her grandmother while I"m gone. It's so frustrating. I'm hoping in a few years, she will grow out of it.

I have a 10 year old son, who is in the same situation. We, me & my children, went through a family weight loss program that is offered where we live, & it was very educational. I do however blame myself for my child being overweight. Alot of it was due to lack of education, which this class taught us pretty much everything I needed to know. I learned that I did not need to put my son on a diet, but to just watch what he was eating, & how much. Plus, it also helped to know that if we could just maintain his weight, as his body grows he will grow into his weight. But he does have to stay active, drink more water instead of sugary drinks, & stop eating after 20 mins to see that his stomach is full. He has lost like 5-6 lbs, & he now tries to be more active. I also went to all of my family & friends homes & told them that he is NOT to be sitting & watching TV, & he is not to have any pop, or kool aid. Nothing with alot of sugar. I also informed them that we are trying to prevent juvenile diabetes, & everyone is very understanding & cooperative. Just an idea might help, There is also www.webMD.com/kids you could check out. Good Luck.

My 10 and 17 years old are in the same situation. My 17 year old weighs around 184 (she's dropped 10 lbs) and is 5'1". My 10 year old is in a lot better situation, but we've kept her in sports. She's 120 and 5' tall, but you can still tell that she's overweight. I've been trying to instill correct eating habits in them but honestly, when they go to the grandparents on the weekend, or go to school and get snacks there's not much I can do there. I just keep talking to them, keeping it in their mind that eating healthy is the way to live, emphasizing getting off their butts and playing or walking. I'm hoping as I get more physically fit and keep fine tuning my eating that it will inspire them and teach them to say no to food items when outside of the house.
  • jlawson113
    jlawson113 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm like 2 minutes into viewing and it's already pissing me off...can't wait to watch the whole thing :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I DON'T want to watch the children one. Nothing makes me more mad than seeing an overweight child. I have 3 kids. Nobody is busier than I am so let's not go down the road of blaming it on that. It is NOT hard to have a child in a healthy weight range. It just isn't. People are lazy. My kids eat healthy but I'm not a food nazi or anything. They get dessert every night but instead of it being a huge bowl of ice cream, it's a (ONE) piece of candy or a small (100 calorie) ice cream sandwhich. Fruit at every meal. Limited TV. It's not rocket science.
    Subjective. Do you live at the poverty level? Are you a single mother who has to work 3 jobs to survive? Is the environment you live in one where cost of "good" food isn't high?
    What you may deem as "busy" may be light work to someone else. While I agree that we can't really blame anyone else, we also can't expect people to not take the easier route when they are just looking for a way to survive. What it comes down to is that we as a nation have to work in conjunction with others to help solve the issue. Demographics have A LOT to do with the obesity rate.

IDEA Fitness member
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • jnh17
    Options
    Subjective. Do you live at the poverty level? Are you a single mother who has to work 3 jobs to survive? Is the environment you live in one where cost of "good" food isn't high?
    What you may deem as "busy" may be light work to someone else. While I agree that we can't really blame anyone else, we also can't expect people to not take the easier route when they are just looking for a way to survive. What it comes down to is that we as a nation have to work in conjunction with others to help solve the issue. Demographics have A LOT to do with the obesity rate.

IDEA Fitness member

Oh I completely agree. Even someone on this thread posted as they got more educated, they changed the way they fed their children.

However, we're not just talking about the very small population in appalachia here. We are talking about 1 in 3. ONE IN THREE. Twenty years ago, there was still poverty, there were still single mothers that worked 3 jobs, etc. The level has grown because of laziness. Period. How much do kids play video games vs 20 years ago? What about the time in front of the tv? Those aren't poor people issues only so let's not tip toe around the guilty parties here.

Kids don't need top-shelf food to maintain a decent weight. They have big bags of store brand cheerios just like they have the big bags of store brand fruit loops.
  • maaprid
    maaprid Posts: 2
    Options
    The segment about the "set point" was REALLY depressing!!!