Has anyone experienced their doctor telling them....

Options

Replies

• t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The more important question is if you are happy with your current weight. If not, find a way to lose until you are.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8.5 and 200 lbs is not acceptable unless you are a bodybuilder. Maybe your Dr was trying to make you feel better about your stall?!?! I have no plans to be 125 lbs, but unless you are out of the overweight BMI frame, you are not at a healthy weight (again, bearing frame and muscle mass). People need to stop dancing around the cold hard facts and be honest. My opinion only.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think what your doctor might mean is that your weight is fine now. That doesn't mean you can't lose a little weight, it just means not to be too worried about it if you dont :)
    I think what your doctor might mean is that your weight is fine now. That doesn't mean you can't lose a little weight, it just means not to be too worried about it if you dont :)

I really agree with this statement. There are some things that can be done to push your weight lower... You can maybe decrease soda intake, drink more water, temporarily lower your intake for 2-3 days to jump start, work out more at the gym, etc. If you are only 10 or so lbs overweight, your doctor is not going to prescribe anything. those solutions are for those with extreme weight loss.

Now, for a bit of an analysis... You are 5'9" and about 203 lbs. This places your BMI at 30 which is right at the bottom of obesity 1 and the top of overweight range according to BMI standards. You mentioned that you have a large frame (which can be determined by measuring your wrist) and checking a chart to make sure. This would account for some of this excess. Also, if you have an athletic build then certainly this raises your optimum weight by quite a bit since your fat percentage would be lower. I know when I mistakenly told my doctor that my bmi was 29 -- he said "that is not too bad... it is overweight but not too bad)... Then when I said -- I mean it is 39 (currently 34) he SUDDENLY got alarmed and started talking to me about getting it down...

At any rate, the best way to lose weight is eating nutritionally at the level of a person would at the weight you aspire to be and exercise. Do these things and you re-establish a lifestyle that is sustainable over time. Best wishes on attaining your goals.
  • hersheythecat
    hersheythecat Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about frame size. I have a large frame size, naturally curvy and top heavy. I'm 5'7" and for me to weigh 135 would be absolutely ridiculous. I liked my body at 160-180. I had all the right curves in the right places.

Do I think my doctor might tell me I'm a bit heavy, sure but I know for my structure, to be less than that would make me look unhealthy.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Here's a link with regards to set points. There is a lot of other great information on this website.

The doctor might not be concerned about your weight affecting your health right now, but it is your body and if you want more from it, then it is up to you to challenge yourself. Best of luck!

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/set-points-settling-points-and-bodyweight-regulation-part-2.html
  • HMD7703
    Options
    IAlso, I'm 5'5" and when I was 187lbs I thought i was "big boned" or "large framed" too.. but I wasn't, It was pure fat. Either that or my bones shrunk :tongue:

LOL
    Too many people claim to be big boned or large framed and they are not.
    How do you find out? Try -> http://www.am-i-fat.com/body_frame_size.html

Determining frame size: To determine the body frame size, measure the wrist with a tape measure and use the following chart to determine whether the person is small, medium, or large boned. Having a large frame does equate to justifying obesity.

Women:

Height under 5'2"
    Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
    Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
    Large = wrist size over 5.75"

Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6"
    Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
    Large = wrist size over 6.25"

Height over 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
    Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
    Large = wrist size over 6.5"
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    IAlso, I'm 5'5" and when I was 187lbs I thought i was "big boned" or "large framed" too.. but I wasn't, It was pure fat. Either that or my bones shrunk :tongue:

LOL
    Too many people claim to be big boned or large framed and they are not.
    How do you find out? Try -> http://www.am-i-fat.com/body_frame_size.html

Determining frame size: To determine the body frame size, measure the wrist with a tape measure and use the following chart to determine whether the person is small, medium, or large boned. Having a large frame does equate to justifying obesity.

Women:

Height under 5'2"

Height 5'2" to 5' 5"

Height over 5' 5"

Just for perspective... tall people generally ARE big-boned!!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am tall and BIG BONED :noway: ....and not overweight! I am 5'8, I wear size 9 shoe, have large hands and loong legs! I weight 150lbs and have a size 29 waist, large boobs and very curvy!
    I have stayed around 175-190 all of my adult life, until I kicked it into gear and lost the weight! It is possible for "bigboned" ppl to get passed a certain number on the scale and mine will never be below 145....but its what YOU are comfortable being at!

Even though I lost me weight, I am Still BIG BONED! that did not change!

I think her point was that big boned ppl will never weight 125 like some smalled boned ppl do....and she is right!

But also "big" ppl can get to a normal weight, dont let that hold you back!!
  • HMD7703
    Options
    Just for perspective... tall people generally ARE big-boned!!

But that does NOT equal being fat.

ETA: I am 5'8" and used to claim this big boned theory - till I lost weight and saw that just bc your bones may be "large frame" it does mean you need to weight 50+ lbs over the healthy limits/standards.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    A lot of the best free nutritional advice you can get is from asking your family doctor questions. They have studied nutrition for years in practice on top of their medical knowledge plus have first hand experience with hundreds of patients.

Most medical schools require AT MOST a semester on nutrition, and many don't even require that. Some doctors may make it a point to learn more on their own, but not all have the time or inclination. If you need nutritional advice seeking a professional trained in nutrition would probably be a better route.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    mine keeps a bmi calc in his pocket ........ Im like comeon doc BMI really?
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with weighing 125? Lord have mercy... I keep reading these comments that portray someone who weighs 125-130 as some kind of enemy anorexic. I'm 5' 7 and went from 217 lbs to 128 lbs and now a size 2 by using this site and exercising. It is possible to be this weight even if you don't think you have the frame or if you've never been below a certain weight in your life. It just takes a lot of freaking hard work. /end rant

To the original poster- only your doctor can explain his/her motives for their comment. Ask them and good luck!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I would be healthy at anywhere between 175-195. I am almost 20 pounds lighter than that now, and am very healthy, but she was right - that weight was actually a perfectly acceptable range for someone with my height and body composition - I had a "healthy" body fat % at that point. It's now well into the fitness/athletic range, but I was healthy at the weight they suggested.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    This might seem a little smart assed, but please don't take it that way. Why don't you ask your doctor this question? A lot of the best free nutritional advice you can get is from asking your family doctor questions. They have studied nutrition for years in practice on top of their medical knowledge plus have first hand experience with hundreds of patients.

Not saying you won't get good advice on here, but asking the doctor why he said what he did is going to get an answer tailored to your specific health needs, which your doctor knows about, but we don't!!!

Doctors have very little education on nutrition, really a registered dietician is who you should talk to about nutrition health issues. Doctors are educated on medical health issues; if there are no immediate medical problems a doctor probably can't help you.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I really hate to generalize, but when it comes to weight and nutrition and muscle mass and all that stuff, doctors are complete morons. I ignore every little bit of advice they give regarding anything that is not medical only. And, even then I am very suspicious.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    This might seem a little smart assed, but please don't take it that way. Why don't you ask your doctor this question? A lot of the best free nutritional advice you can get is from asking your family doctor questions. They have studied nutrition for years in practice on top of their medical knowledge plus have first hand experience with hundreds of patients.

Not saying you won't get good advice on here, but asking the doctor why he said what he did is going to get an answer tailored to your specific health needs, which your doctor knows about, but we don't!!!

I agree with this. Also -- do you strength train? Just a thought. :flowerforyou:
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    125 pounds for your height sounds really low to me I'm 5'2 and weigh in at 127 pounds and people are always telling me I'm too skinny, imagine if I added another seven inches to my height :wink: For my small frame my 'ideal' weight is from 108-121 and I can't even imagine dropping another six pounds. I got down to 125 a month or so ago and even my husband said I needed to add a few pounds. I'm a runner/cyclist so I have a lot of muscle and I think that having more muscle mass and weighing more is far more healthy than trying to get my weight down to the 'ideal' range.
  • digitaltara
    digitaltara Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Women:

Height under 5'2"

Height 5'2" to 5' 5"

Height over 5' 5"

So how do I interpret that when I'm 5'5" with a 6.5" wrist measurement?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to your doctor about why he/she thinks so. Have you had a body fat percentage done and do you know your percent? Was the decision based on at least some bloodwork? Is there any science behind this answer or is your doctor simply saying "close enough" because you are one of his/her few patients who is not actually obese?

If your cholestorol/lipids came back clean, you don't have blood pressure issues, your insulin response is firing away normally, and you are otherwise in good physical health, a few extra pounds are not generally a risk factor on their own. Given that you've said you've already struggled to get rid of that extra weight, your doctor simply might be considering that you might put yourself at more risk struggling to lose the weight than you would simply carrying around a few extra pounds (or if you've done a body fat percentage test, you may already be at a healthy weight for your frame and losing any more could actually be less optimal for you).

I'd find out what science is behind the answer. If there is none, then ask for some - get your body fat percentage tested out, get some bloodwork done, and see if you would actually benefit from losing the pounds you want to lose. If not, then just work on some strength training and toning if you have spots that trouble you.
  • jaycee00
    jaycee00 Posts: 3
    Options
    At 5'8" and 193 lbs, I want to loose 20 lbs to be where I was before I got pregnant. Even at 165, I remember a doctor saying I should get to 150. Fast forward many years and my new Dr treads lightly on the weight issue. This one says loosing just 5 lbs would be good for me. I have a feeling that some Dr's have realized that pushing thier patients on thier weight backfires and some feel guilty coming and others just say piss off and miss the point. My feeling is Dr. feels your weight is not affecting your health, however you should ask just to be clear. Just remember, you only spend 15 or so mins with your doctor and 100% of your time in your body. If you feel a change is needed, keep looking for that solution. Good luck on your goals!