Meals to share with young children?

Options
I have an almost 3 year old daughter. She eats much healthier and eats more (which is important because she's way underweight) when she eats with me and we have the same meal. I'm mostly concerned about breakfast and lunch. She's not very picky and will try almost anything I give her. I'm running out of ideas.

Any suggestions on healthy, nutrient- rich meals to share with my toddler? Of course I'd like to be able to keep my calorie count down too.

Replies

• reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have picky eaters so I'm not much help but my son enjoys oatmeal. You can also cook fruit into the oatmeal.
    There are a lot of quinoa breakfast recipes out there as well. My son will eat that too. My daughter won't. She's strictly cereal and pancakes. Occasionally french toast or waffles but thankfully she loves fruit.

Lunch. Soup and sandwich. Hummus wraps. Hummus and veggies. Many times if I have the time and energy I'll basically make a dinner for lunch. Chicken, noodles, broccoli.
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you need to "fatten" her up try peanut butter. That's what I have to do with my daughter because she eats very little. Avocado would work too if she'll eat it.
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    I have a 5 yo and a 3 yo and have been eating with them more often for the same reason, even though my DH doesn't get home until after their bedtime. We have had great success lately with grilling. Last night, we had grilled salmon, quinoa pilaf, and steamed broccoli. We have variations on that a lot: grilled chicken, a little whole grain pasta, steamed asparagus, fruit. My non-picky 3 yo also loves tofu-spinach curry, black beans and rice, tortillas rolled up with avocado and chicken, etc.

You are lucky to have a non-picky eater! My 5 yo is picky, which is why we eat broccoli almost every night; it's the only veggie he will reliably eat.

Good luck!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you need to "fatten" her up try peanut butter. That's what I have to do with my daughter because she eats very little. Avocado would work too if she'll eat it.

Nothing compares to the power of whole milk for this purpose. Milk is grow juice.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm with Waldo on milk but my fave for the little ones is omelette. You can add just about anything you want to it to suit dietary requirements and it's quick! And of course if you don't add anything to it, they call it scrambled eggs!
  • cupotea
    cupotea Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a three yr old daughter too and some of our favourite lunches are: omelettes - you can add loads of veggies and cheese to them, wraps, quesadillas, salads with eggs, potatoes, ham/cold meat (for her, I'm a veggie), pitta breads with cream cheese/salad, cous-cous, egg fried rice.
    Obviously not all fo these might be suitable depending on what sort of diet you're following but these are some of the things we have together. Hope it helps.
  • mrscapamerica
    Options

Nothing compares to the power of whole milk for this purpose. Milk is grow juice.

She LOVES avocado and peanut butter so I will have to try to give her those more often.
    The only thing she won't touch is milk. I've tried everything. Plain, in cereal, even flavored. Nothing. The Ped. thinks that's part of why she's so little.
  • mrscapamerica
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas! Can't wait to try them
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    How about mini pizzas on english muffins? Can put about anything on those and she can help make them :) You can make sure and add extra cheese to hers for calories and less on yours for not so many. They also work good on pita breads.
  • scalle16
    scalle16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My 8 yo and 6 yo both love youghert so I buy fat free french vanilla or plain and load it up with fresh fruit. We all love it, it is nutritional and fairly low on cal. Right now we add starwberries, raspberries and blackberries to it. Add what ever fruits your kids like and eveyone is getting something that is good for them and great calcium for those young and older bones. I also suggest peanut butter for your kids. Add it to celery or do it the old fashion way- just give her a spooonful. It is a great source of protein and energy for starting the moring off right.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    My sister didn't/doesn't like milk either, but will happily drink a smoothie or milkshake - might be worth a try, if you haven't already. Our biggest 'success' involved milk, frozen blueberries, a little ground cardamom or cinnamon and a banana. Otherwise, yoghurt, cheese...

I have a great recipe for oat-based pancakes, which I will happily send you, if you'd like? Very good, nutritionally, and lots of fibre. Relatively low in terms of daily calorie percentages for you, but quite high for a toddler.

Edited to add recipe:

To make two large pancakes or four small ones (serves two). Half the mix is approx. 300 calories, assuming you don't drown them in butter when you cook them - you do need a little, though. Dry-frying does not work well. They also freeze fantastically, and you can defrost them in the toaster, or overnight, and then toast to heat through...

1/2 cup of giant rolled oats (NOT the fine milled ones, but anything else will be fine - the bigger the better, though)
    approx. 4tsp demerara/soft brown sugar ( to taste)
    1tsp baking powder
    1/4-1/2 cup of flour - I usually start with 1/4 and add a little more if necessary before cooking
    (optional: spices - I usually throw in some mixed spice, dried fruits/fresh fruits, nuts, seeds...)

1 egg and 75-125ml milk per 1/2 cup of oats

Combine dry ingredients - flour required is slightly variable dependent on the absorption of the oats you are using. Add egg and milk, stir, and leave to soak for a few minutes. Melt a little butter in a frying pan and cook pancakes on both sides. 1/2 cup of oats makes 2 large pancakes or 4 small - I eat one half the recipe for a normal breakfast, the whole for a substantial meal if going skiing/hiking etc. Top with maple syrup/golden syrup/honey/fruit jams/fresh fruit/bacon...

Absolutely delicious, and quick if you pre-prepare a whole jar of the dry mix - then it's just add liquid/egg and cook.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If she has no allergy to milk, just doesn't like it, and you want to "fatten" her up - then chocolate milk, strawberry milk (if you haven't already tried), milkshakes, smoothies, ice cream... I agree, whole milk is "grow juice", plus you cannot make up for any lost opportunities to build calcium in your bones. I would make sure she is eating lots of other food with calcium if you are not already tracking that. I was fortunate that my daughter always wante dmilk, but she was definitely picky, so you are lucky yours isn't!!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Does she have full fat dairy? If she's not and if she's underweight this could really help her put on a little more. Skimmed dairy not only removes the fat but also the fat soluble vitamins. There's no reason for kids to be on skimmed or semi skimmed dairy products unless a doctor/health professional advises it for a specific issue.

I have separate dairy products for me and the kids (age 2 and 5), I just explain that their one has more fat in it because kids need more fat than grown-ups as they're still growing.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Just put it out for her to eat and tell her that she's had it before and loved it.

I told my son multiple times, at that age, what he was eating was something else... Now hes 6 and eats everything I put in front of him.
  • shannonperry13
    Options

She LOVES avocado and peanut butter so I will have to try to give her those more often.
    The only thing she won't touch is milk. I've tried everything. Plain, in cereal, even flavored. Nothing. The Ped. thinks that's part of why she's so little.

if she likes fruit maybe use milk and greek yogurt and make her smoothies :)
  • AmadaLynn
    AmadaLynn Posts: 116
    Options
    Good luck.

I have a 6 yo who is EXTERMELY picky.

Sometimes it makes me feel like an awful parent. I'll give him pretty much anything just to put calories in him.

My 2.5 yo is a great eater, Chipotle is her favorite! Rice, beans, tomato and cheese.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

have you tried the vanilla silk soy milk? My daughter prefers it over regular milk. It is a little sweeter, but not by much. The original is a little bit sweeter too. It also has more protein than regular milk and doesn't cause constipation in kids like dairy milk can in kids.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Our son went through a phase of fussiness when foods he had had before he suddenly didn't like. We became adept at hiding certain foods, especially vegetables!

With milk I would try hot chocolate, omelettes, home made ice cream, custard, rice pudding, soups (chowders), gratin or piped potato........

Going to go now before I persuade myself I'm hungry!
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I wish my 2.5 year old wasn't picky and would eat some of the things listed here.

Most of what he eats is healthy.. its just the same things over and over ... he doesn't really like to try new things. Unless it's fruit.. he will eat ANY fruit.
  • mrscapamerica
    Options
    These are fantastic ideas! Thank you for all the input:smile: