Sweet potatoes

Options

Replies

• SexyMidnight
    SexyMidnight Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    no clue but we are in the same boat!! im from alabama and i was looking for recipes yesterday so bump for later
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My friends like them with cinnamon and a little maple syrup. I can't stand them sweet. I prefer them with salsa and hot sauce. I'll add beans and spinach as well.
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    http://pinchofyum.com/healthy-mexican-sweet-potato-skins

I made those last night and they were SO good! I think they work out to about 250 calories per serving.
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Works well in a soup. Peel and cube and boil in water until soft. Add stock or chilli flakes or low fat coconut milk or whatever you fancy and whizz with a hand blender. Yumsk!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would roast it and eat it as is. I don't add butter to any kind of potatoes or corn on the cob. Quality food tastes good on its own.

Would it taste better with butter? Probably, but at what cost in the long run? Especially when it's really good without anything added.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I do the same as most others here...cut in cubes, season with cinnamon and roast...make sweet mashed potatoes...sweet potato fries....baked sweet potatoes. They are so good without adding much seasoning and they are one of the most nutritious vegetables available.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I bake mine in foil to soften it up. Then garnish with butter spray, 1/2tsp of brown sugar & cinnamon. I usually only eat half at a time, which is about 55 calories prepared.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    "Bump" just pushes this topic back to the top of the forum list, that's all.

My favorite sweet potatoes use is to make baked fries:

Peel the potatoes and cut into fry strips - this takes some time, as SP's are HARD (Hmm, I wonder if we can log cutting SP's as cardio? Hah!)
    Toss with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. (no measurements, just eyeball it.)
    Spread onto a greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper) and bake at 400 for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.

Allow to cool about 5 minutes before eating.

If your results turn out like mine, you'll have "fries" of varying shapes and sizes, so some will have burnt ends and other will be mushy, but regardless of appearance, the flavor is fantastic. :)

This. Also I add chili powder and cumin.

But often I just eat them plain, baked in the skin. They are sweet enough on their own.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I just scrub, bake at 400F for 1 hr, and let it cool for 10 min, then eat without adding anything.

Me too. Sweet potato are just that, sweet all on their own. I don't add nothing to mine, no butter or anything. I just bake and enjoy!
  • jaclyndanette
    Options
    "Bump" just pushes this topic back to the top of the forum list, that's all.

My favorite sweet potatoes use is to make baked fries:

Peel the potatoes and cut into fry strips - this takes some time, as SP's are HARD (Hmm, I wonder if we can log cutting SP's as cardio? Hah!)
    Toss with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. (no measurements, just eyeball it.)
    Spread onto a greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper) and bake at 400 for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.

Allow to cool about 5 minutes before eating.

This is my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes as well. I usually just spray cookie sheet with Pam, put the "fries" on the sheet, spray them with some Pam and sprinkle with salt and pepper. They are so tasty!

I also like mashed sweet potatoes - I prepare them just like mashed potatoes - with a little milk and bummle and brown yogurt/butter spread - and add cinnamon to them after.
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Peel, slice thinly, lay in baking pan, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, cook at 350 for 30 minutes, and enjoy!! Super yummy!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I roast them... a little EVOO, salt and pepper and cumin..... YUM! HIGH heat - 450 or so..... convection, if you have it... flip half way through..... watch closely... a little burn and caramelization makes them YUMMY!

You can cube them and mix them *once cooked* with kidney or black beans, avocado, lettuce, onion and whatever else you like as a nutritious lunch.

Or, for dinner, I cut them in wedges and I use them as a base for what I call sweet potato nachos....
    layer dish with roasted sweet potatoes and then top with onions, orange peppers, garlic, black beans and some cheese... then cook for 15 min at 375 and plate a portion. Top plate with avocado, a few crumbled tortilla chips (not too many), lettuce, lime juice and salsa... YUMMY! :):)

I don't like them with sugar and cinnamon, but lots of folks LOVE them sweetened... I prefer savory...
  • deeja82176
    deeja82176 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cube mine, mix it with a little olive oil, honey, Jamaican All Spice and a little salt. Bake for 20-25 minutes. DELICIOUS!!!!
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yep, I also just do an easy bake - cut in half, drizzle lightly with olive oil, a dash of kosher salt and a few twists of pepper and bake skin side up. YUM.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Another way they are delicious (once roasted) is in burritos.... roast in cubes as I wrote earlier, then put in wrap with tomatoes or salsa and refried or black beans.... wrap, top with onions, a little cheese and salsa.... top with typical tex-mex toppings :)
  • TracyLou0404
    TracyLou0404 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am hooked on sweet potatoes! I scrub the SP and cut off any bad parts (I like to eat the skin). Then, I wrap it in paper towels. Next, I soak the papertowels wrapped around the SP. Microwave for 5-10 minutes, depending on how big the SP is.

After it's done, I cut in half length-wise. Add a little organic virgin coconut oil, himalayan salt, and cinnamon. DELISH!!!!!!

I eat this several times a week. I love it!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I wrap in foil and bake for a little over an hour. Then I slice it open, drizzle VERY LIGHTLY with honey and add chopped walnuts. It's my favorite go-to lunch or dinner!

That sounds delicious!
  • mom2gar
    mom2gar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I like to do the fries spray a little coconut oil on them and Tony C's season salt mmmm and mashed with cocnut butter and sea salt and sometimes I slice them like ships and bake them with sea salt. Or just a plain ole baked one is yummy and if I have the calories to spare, real butter.
  • laceyslady
    laceyslady Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump