Struggling with grip when Weight lifting

Options
Now that I am lifting heavier weights, I struggle to meet my repetitions because I can't seem to hold my grip for long enough. I don't know very much about lifting heavier weights, so is there a product out there that could help? Lifting Gloves? Lifting Straps? Do you use one that you love? I would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Which lifts are you having problems with? Dumbbells or barbels?
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My friend does own a pair that has hooks on it so when your grip gives out the weight doesn't go crashing to the ground. I can't remember the name of the branch but I do know he got them from Amazon. Good Luck.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting will test your grip for sure. If you feel like you could lift a lot more with a better grip then try gloves and if that doesn't work try straps. Otherwise stiff leg deadlifts can work the lower back just as good as regular deads with less weight and stress on the grip.

I generally switch it up once in a while and do a week with stiff leg deads instead of regular. Your grip will get stronger too.
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have had a much easier time lifting heavy since I purchased cloves (black and pink). They make it so my hands dont hurt from holding on to the weights.

Good luck :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting will test your grip for sure. If you feel like you could lift a lot more with a better grip then try gloves and if that doesn't work try straps. Otherwise stiff leg deadlifts can work the lower back just as good as regular deads with less weight and stress on the grip.

I generally switch it up once in a while and do a week with stiff leg deads instead of regular. Your grip will get stronger too.

^^ This.

Deadlifting is THE best exercise for strengthening grip.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    farmer carries will help with all grips. I also bought those hand squeezie things. But there are some tricks depending on (like Rae's asking) what the lift is and if you're using barbells or dumbells.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Regular chalk, liquid chalk, or straps.

Gloves don't do a ton for grip, IMO. They're more for "padding."
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options

^^ This.

Deadlifting is THE best exercise for strengthening grip.

This^^
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You could also try a mixed grip (one hand over/one hand under) with deadlifts. This helped me alot.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I use lifting straps when my grip becomes an issue on lifts like deads and shrugs.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What grip do you use?

For any of my Olympic lifts and deadlifts, I always use chalk and a hook grip, this is much stronger than a conventional grip, but it takes a bit of getting used to, and you may find it hard on your thumb at first.

I much prefer to do this than use any outside equipment, especially if I decide I want to dump the bar for any reason.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I use lifting straps when my grip becomes an issue on lifts like deads and shrugs.

Yes, I can DL about 265 without straps but with straps I can do about 40 pounds more just beceause grip in an issue. I'm only 5'6" and don't have the biggest hands so straps help a lot.
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Which lifts are you having problems with? Dumbbells or barbels?

I am having issues with dumbbells. My gym doesn't have a barbell outside of a smith machine so I am having to deadlift dumbbells and they keep slipping out of my hands. (Yes, as soon as I can afford it, I will be changing gyms, but this one is free and i'm broke.) I've hit my limit with 35 lb. dumbbells, but I know I can deadlift more than that. I think I would have this problem with a barbell too at some point, but I think it would be much heavier.

I also have problems with the dumbbells during lunges (which I have semi-helped myself out with by leaning them on my hips) and shoulder presses. My hands give out before anything else.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It depends on what lifting exercise the OP is asking about. The best thing to do has already been mentioned, Chalk up! Chalk will help your grip when lifting. Gloves wont help at all. Your deadlifts will actually help strengthen your forearms and grip. Keep working at it and dont forget the chalk.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Gloves seemed to make my grip weaker, instead of stronger. For lunges, could you try a plate instead of dumbbells? Also, I started doing deadlifts in the Smith machine (I may get some flack for that, but it worked for me initially).
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Regular chalk, liquid chalk, or straps.

Gloves don't do a ton for grip, IMO. They're more for "padding."

I agree with this except I'd skip the straps too. If you're using the straps as a crutch, you're not training your grip as much as you could be. If you've never used chalk, you'll be amazed at how much it helps. On my heavy deadlifts, I will flip one hand over so the bar doesn't want to roll...but that won't apply to the OP who's using DBs.

Ultimately, I suggest chalk and keeping at it. The grip will train like anything else. If your gym doesn't allow chalk, sneak it in or try the liquid chalk.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    gloves may cause your hands to slip...

Chalk is great - you can try tape I know some of the guys in at my Crossfit box will tape their hands when they are going to do heavy weights or doing a ton of pull ups. I know one guy who uses straps but that is mainly because he has a wrist issue...

Are the dumbells to wide maybe? When I do deadlifts I do them with a barbell but I use the "girly" ones (33lbs) that had a smaller diameter for the grip- if I try and use one of the larger ones for deadlifts I can't pull as much. I have to chalk up A LOT...did deadlifts last night and even though I chalked them good I have a bunch of blisters...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I will second proper grip and chalk for sure. It's helped me even though my grip is my weakest link still. Chalk is cheap as hell too. Gloves are useless and straps won't allow you to build further grip strength.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    gloves may cause your hands to slip...

Chalk is great - you can try tape I know some of the guys in at my Crossfit box will tape their hands when they are going to do heavy weights or doing a ton of pull ups. I know one guy who uses straps but that is mainly because he has a wrist issue...

Are the dumbells to wide maybe? When I do deadlifts I do them with a barbell but I use the "girly" ones (33lbs) that had a smaller diameter for the grip- if I try and use one of the larger ones for deadlifts I can't pull as much. I have to chalk up A LOT...did deadlifts last night and even though I chalked them good I have a bunch of blisters...

If you're getting blisters you might just be gripping the bar wrong. Make sure your grip looks like #1 in the previously-mentioned link: http://stronglifts.com/7-ways-increase-deadlift-grip-strength/

You want the bar to be on the part of your palm closest to the fingers. If you're putting it up on the palm closer to the wrist, when you do the movement the bar can slide down your palm towards your fingers and hurt a lot due to the sliding and pinching motion it causes.