Clothing while losing weight...

Options
Okay, I'm hoping that you guys have ran into the same problem I am now having...

It's been a while since I was the weight I am now and I have just a few clothes that will fit. That puts me in a big predicament. Do I buy some clothes now at the current size I am at, or do I hold out until I get to my goal weight?!

Grr! :mad:

-Ian

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any way to avoid buying some clothes as you lose the weight, but don't go out and buy anything too expensive since you're going to shrink out of it shortly. Thrift stores are great.
  • ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any way to avoid buying some clothes as you lose the weight, but don't go out and buy anything too expensive since you're going to shrink out of it shortly. Thrift stores are great.

Forgot about the thrift store!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    The more of the big clothes you can ditch, the more incentive you have to lose the weight. Anything new you buy, buy snug, so they will last awhile. I've already had to give away the first set of snug clothes that I bought since beginning to lose weight. What a good feeling that was!
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    I live at the thrift stores these days :happy:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I bought some inexpensive work slacks (dress pants) at Ross because my old ones were so baggy they were falling off. I still wear my knit shirts for work and my bike shorts at home, however. I also bought some new bra's (2) because I gotta have something there that fits right. Otherwise, I'll wait until I get where I'm going to buy really nice, new clothes.
  • weightoffmom
    weightoffmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue. I am down 3 pant sizes and 4 shirts sizes. I have had to buy clothes, clearance and thrift stores is what I am doing. I have cleared my closet so I have no room to go backwards. I did spend $45 on a pair of jeans and they are bagging in the *kitten* already. This is a good thing of course :wink: but $45 is a good chunk of cash to me.

You will need to do some searching, but you can find good deals out there. Good luck to you and how great does it feel to put on a size and realize it is to big. :tongue:
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    Not only are thrift stores and consignment shops great options - but I've found that it also beats the heck out of sitting on the couch and eating, especially on a rainy day!
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    It depends how fast you are losing weight. I've been doing this for a year and I've only lost 2 sizes. So I've bought clothes normally.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I did spend $45 on a pair of jeans and they are bagging in the *kitten* already. This is a good thing of course :wink: but $45 is a good chunk of cash to me.

One thing about jeans, they're pretty easy to take in if you sew or know someone who does.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest getting them taken in too...and if you are a repeat customer, maybe the tailor will cut you a deal!

Another idea is to ask around here for anyone who is getting rid of clothing. I just made a post yesterday saying I had 4 pairs of pants to get rid of, all I was asking for was for shipping to be covered, and someone snagged them right up. You can ask for someone to donate clothing to you, in good condition of course!, and pay the shipping charges.

In the next month or so, I'm hoping my jeans will be too big...what size are you? They are a size 4 Lane Bryant jeans...size 4 to them is about a 16 I think. When they get too big you can have them if you want.
  • ianconway
    Options
    I was going to suggest getting them taken in too...and if you are a repeat customer, maybe the tailor will cut you a deal!

Another idea is to ask around here for anyone who is getting rid of clothing. I just made a post yesterday saying I had 4 pairs of pants to get rid of, all I was asking for was for shipping to be covered, and someone snagged them right up. You can ask for someone to donate clothing to you, in good condition of course!, and pay the shipping charges.

In the next month or so, I'm hoping my jeans will be too big...what size are you? They are a size 4 Lane Bryant jeans...size 4 to them is about a 16 I think. When they get too big you can have them if you want.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think they would look good on my male physique.. :laugh:

Seriously, though, good information coming down the pipeline! Thanks everyone!
    -Ian
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oops! I just assumed you were a girl, sorry! :blushing: :laugh:
  • daybyday815
    Options
    Take it from me: the more you get rid of those baggy pants, the less likely you are to let the lbs creep back on! It's helped me stay on track since I know the minute my jeans start feeling a little tight i don't have any "fat day" pants left to fall back into.
  • xStargazerx
    Options
    You could even get somethings from Walmart. Their clothes have been getting better. That was you don't spend alot of money on clothes that won't fit in a couple of weeks or months! Good luck!! I know you can do it.:flowerforyou:
  • ianconway
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oops! I just assumed you were a girl, sorry! :blushing: :laugh:

Hehe! No big!
  • ianconway
    Options
    Take it from me: the more you get rid of those baggy pants, the less likely you are to let the lbs creep back on! It's helped me stay on track since I know the minute my jeans start feeling a little tight i don't have any "fat day" pants left to fall back into.

Good Idea... I hope I never go back to my 'old self'...
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Ian. I just realized that your picture was your MII and since the picture has a pet, you must have Wii Fit Plus. How do you like it so far. Mine should have arrived today, so I will doing it tonight. I lost my first 50 lbs solely on the Wii Fit.
  • ianconway
    Options
    You could even get somethings from Walmart. Their clothes have been getting better. That was you don't spend alot of money on clothes that won't fit in a couple of weeks or months! Good luck!! I know you can do it.:flowerforyou:

They do have some nice clothes, and that's where I usually get my jeans anyways. May have to go buy some snug outfits!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm hoping that you guys have ran into the same problem I am now having...

It's been a while since I was the weight I am now and I have just a few clothes that will fit. That puts me in a big predicament. Do I buy some clothes now at the current size I am at, or do I hold out until I get to my goal weight?!

Grr! :mad:

-Ian

I buy new clothes for my new size and I ditched all my big clothes- I have no choice but to continue to lose weight or mainitain my current weight or I have to go naked cause I don't have anything bigger
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Old Navy has become my best friend. I'm in the same spot. I can't afford to replace my wardrobe, but the shirts I bought because they were JUST starting to fit are now big and baggy on me. I dropped from an XL to a medium. In pant sizes I've dropped from a 42 to a 36. And I'm still losing.

At this point I'm just picking up new clothes as my budget allows or necessity requires. I'm just investing in smaller belts, lol.

Only one that makes me really mad is the new tailored suit I bought in December which cost me 600$, and it is now so big on me that they can't tailor it to fit. What a waste of money :(