why am i hungry all the time

Options
ok so i have done well so far but now need to maintain my current weight for my wedding dress fitting but the past week i have just been hungry all the time and seem to eat loads how the heck did i keep to 1200 calories for such a long time before how do i stop myself before i put on weight?

Replies

• Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    my current daily calories is 1580 to maintain my current weight, i also put on a pound that i need to loose from what my lowest weight was on mfp.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    I'd say you are hungry because you are eating mainly carbs and very little protein. Try upping your protein and that should help with your appetite.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'd say you are hungry because you are eating mainly carbs and very little protein. Try upping your protein and that should help with your appetite.

I agree. It looks like you just aren't eating enough period.
  • Susan923
    Susan923 Posts: 61
    Options
    If your hungry make sure you eat. As long as you are eating real food that's natural and healthy you will be fine. :) Just make sure you keep your strength training in and your cardio. Happy Wedding!!:smile:
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posters. Eat more protein and eat real food.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

I agree. You're also probably consuming a lot of refined sugar. Eating lots more protein will definitely help.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Yeah you will be hungry if you eat less than 15g of protein every day. Also- up the calories. 900 calories a day is not going to cut it, even if you have to lose that extra pound. Or, eat more, exercise more and you will probably see better results.

**edited to add that it looks like you are not exercising at this time (based on your journal). I would rather eat and extra 3-500 calories and burn it off via lifting than starve myself at 900 calories a day. That's just me though.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    A, not eating enough!
    b. Need to eat 'real food'
    c. stop all that 'junk' eating
    d. drink more water
    Eating always under your calories isn't doing you or your body any good!

Take care!
  • mrsejennings
    mrsejennings Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Protein protein protein. Cut up chicken and eat it as a snack. They have those ready packs at the grociery store for salads. they are seasoned already if that helps you.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options

I agree. Add more protein and fiber it will help you feel full longer. Also you seem to be eating a lot of processed foods, try to eat real whole foods.
  • Falling_star
    Options

Yeah you will be hungry if you eat less than 15g of protein every day. Also- up the calories. 900 calories a day is not going to cut it, even if you have to lose that extra pound. Or, eat more, exercise more and you will probably see better results.

**edited to add that it looks like you are not exercising at this time (based on your journal). I would rather eat and extra 3-500 calories and burn it off via lifting than starve myself at 900 calories a day. That's just me though.

the only exercise i am doing at the moment is zumba class once a week, yeh i know its not enough but i am struggling to find time to do it at min but i will try.
  • PaperThinLips
    PaperThinLips Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    protein power!! and yeah, eat real foods!! good luck!
  • Falling_star
    Options
    i have got my sweet tooth back so alot of the stuff im reaching for is high in sugar, i find myself wondering how i managed before, while i was loosing the weight i would just have an ice lolly or milkyway. finding it hard to get out the habbit now.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

the only exercise i am doing at the moment is zumba class once a week, yeh i know its not enough but i am struggling to find time to do it at min but i will try.

Even if you aren't exercising, you should still be eating 1300-1500 calories a day. 900 is not going to cut it...
  • RGonVSH
    RGonVSH Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well, I would agree that you need to eat more food. Your calories intake is too low and what I see is that you are eating a lot of simple carbs (white bread, croissants) and sugar. If you are also not exercising, then those things will go straight to pounds. Also if you are consistently eating less than 1200 calories, your body may be in starvation mode, so losing that pound will be very hard.

If I were in your shoes, I would add more fresh vegetables to my plate. Veggies are more nutrient dense and high in fiber, which is more filling to your body. You do need more protein as well, but be careful in your protein choices. Animal protein can add more fat calories, and you cannot eat as much of it for the same calorie bang.

You can eat as much fresh vegetable salad as you want, as long as you skip the fattening dressing. I use lemon juice or balsamic vinegar on mine. I am not saying that you don't need to eat protein. You do, of course. But you could add some pinto beans or black beans to that salad for protein or 3 oz of grilled chicken breast.

Fresh veggies are one key, but exercise is also important...even going for a half hour walk will help if you aren't up for a workout.

You can do this... I see in your previous posts that you are confused about why this is so hard. I can only speak for myself in this matter, but maybe it will help you. I know that if I allow myself to eat anything with sugar early in the day, I want to eat it all day. So I save my 1 square of dark chocolate until dinner. That way, I don't have sugar at lunch and dinner.

I also don't eat ANY sugar (or sugar substitute) before that, unless it is in a piece of fruit. A lot of the processed foods that I see in your diary may have HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) or other artificial sweeteners in them. I find it is best for me to eat real food instead. Sugar is so addicting to me, so I just find it easier to forego the sugar throughout the day, then have my 1 square of dark chocolate as a reward later.

In fact, I would suggest that every time you want that sugar fix that you grab a strawberry or an orange. The strawberries are in season right now and are delicious, and oranges are packed full of fiber. Eat the real fruit tho, don't drink juices, because juices lack the needed fiber. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Protein, fat, and fiber all help to keep you full longer. Make a few smart food swaps to get the most "bang for your buck"

When you eat carbs (they are not the enemy) make sure they are in a more natural state. Example: most white bread has approximately the same carbs as wheat ..... however wheat bread STILL contains natural fiber & protein that the white bread does not. The more something is processed or refined ... the more good stuff has been removed.
  • Falling_star
    Options

Even if you aren't exercising, you should still be eating 1300-1500 calories a day. 900 is not going to cut it...

my daily allowence is 1580 if i have eaten under its proberley because i havent logged it :)
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I bet you are really busy with the wedding which is why you are grabbing for these quick meals. I do agree with everyone that you need more protein, but I bet you need the ability to grab something healthy on the go. I dont know what you like to eat as far as protein so I will give you a few suggestions that I keep handy.

Cooked chicken breasts (I grill a whole pack of these on my foreman in the house once a week) With this you can throw chicken on a salad, you can make chicken salad with some light mayo, you can make a regular chicken sandwich, you can just cut it up in chunks and eat it with fruit......sooo many ways you prepare this and it can be grabbed on the go.

Cook a lean roast (Pork or Beef) on the weekends.......great for quick sandwiches and I even just grab a couple slices on the way out the door or if I'm hungry.

Cottage cheese, everything from fat free to full fat depending on where you are in your weight loss.

Nuts, Raw almonds are my favorite

Cheese (reduced fat or regular)

skim milk :)

Also, the drawback with the foods you are eating is not just the high carb content, but the high sodium content. I think you would be surprised how much better you will do if you scale back on sodium.

ETA: More fresh fruits or vegetables too.......bananas, strawberries, blueberries, broccoli, spinach....etc
  • no1texan
    no1texan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hunger comes from eating simple carbs that contains more sugar that sends the blood sugar soaring which triggers the pancreas to send out insulin to bring the sugar down. This is a never ending cycle for people who stay on a diet of eating lots of simple carbs: fruit, fruit juice, table sugar, honey, soft drinks, and other sweets.

Glucose is the major kind of simple sugar. Glucose is the basic source of energy for all living things. Glucose supplies the body with quick energy. It occurs naturally in some fruits and vegetables and is also produced in the body by breaking down other foods into glucose.

Complex carbohydrates often supply energy and other nutrients and fiber that the body needs. They are a better choice.
    Starch - bread, cereal, potatoes, pasta, rice, and legumes (dried peas and beans)

Fiber - bran, whole-grain foods, raw vegetables and fruit (especially the seeds and skins), legumes, nuts, seeds and popcorn

Guarantee hunger pain will go away IF your diet consists of high protein, beef, turkey, fish, etc. and low complex carbohydrates, no more than around 50. The first few days will be rough but afterwards the hungar will be mostly gone replaced with lots of energy. Drink lots of water. Divide your weight in half and this will be the number of ounses of water to drink each day. Drinking the right amount of water is very important.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Try eating less carbs, and go for more protien. The protein should help you feel fuller longer. Grill some chicken breasts, cut them into strips, and snack on them, along with cheese and eggs. just be sure to log your calories correctly.