Is it true that the fitter you are the more you sweat?

Options
13»

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I've also noticed my sweat has changed. It went from salty to not salty...is that bad?
    That is good and is a normal sign of heat acclimization and increased fitness.
  • bellyake3
    bellyake3 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but the fitter I get, the hairier I get. Seriously, my chest is starting to resemble a dead badger.

lol..your prob reducing your estrogen levels and building up your testosterone...I've heard estrogen is in fat cells but don't quote me on that..lol
  • bellyake3
    Options
    I've also noticed my sweat has changed. It went from salty to not salty...is that bad?
    That is good and is a normal sign of heat acclimization and increased fitness.

Nice! Thanks I'll take that as a compliment! lol
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I just sweat a lot working out period. xD
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have always been a profuse sweater, but I really just try not to think about it and take a shower when I am done with my workout. I really don't even sweat - I rain.
  • bellyake3
    Options
    I have always been a profuse sweater, but I really just try not to think about it and take a shower when I am done with my workout. I really don't even sweat - I rain.

Well then make it RAIN Nick! lol
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of research and articles on sweating vs efficient sweating.

Unfit people sweat a lot as they tend to have more mass to cool

however - Fit people sweat more efficiently. I read they will start sweating during the warm up because the body knows a workout is coming so it starts the "cool off" earlier - hence pry why it seems as though you are sweating more when rather you are sweating more efficiently.

this is what I've found in my reading too, and it does fit with my personal experience in becoming more fit!

I vote for this answer^^^
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • lovesweetlove
    Options
    I have also been told (and believe) that. I don't think it applies to EVERYONE, but your body knows what to do when it's had a lot of practice ... i.e. cool itself
  • jdlifsey
    jdlifsey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i asked a nutritionist friend of mine about this. I said that I sweat a lot that after about 1.5 hours on a treadmill or stationary bike, my cotton shirt is soaked. I also have puddles under me.
    She told me that fitter people sweat more (but that might be because fitter people push themselves harder/longer than newbies).

If I'm just doing weights for about an hour, my shirt is half soaked.

I know that if I go ride 50-100 miles, I'll have salt (crystals) evaporated on my face.

I haven't paid attention to my sweat being salty versus not being salty when just working out in the gym.
    If I'm riding at close to my maximum heart rate for an hour, I'll easily sweat a quart an hour (beginning weight versus ending weight divided by 8.3 pounds per gallon of water)
  • Shannon_H
    Shannon_H Posts: 35
    Options
    I don't really have an educated answer, only my experience! :tongue: I sweat a whooole lot more now than I did when I first started exercising! I also sweat a lot sooner, too. I will start to break a good sweat in the warm up depending on what I'm doing. It feels good! :glasses:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    In reality it is just down to the individual. However, the amount that you sweat is related directly to the amount that you drink - since generally fitter people (not necessarily lighter people) do more exercise so they tend generally to drink more water in anticipation, especially if they are athletes who are particularly aware of their liquid requirements - therefore sweat more - it's as simple as that!

Yes.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I'm very fit and run a lot but my face is always drenched in sweat after my workout. I never used to sweat this much. Is this normal?

No from experience ~ for i'm not drenched and soaked unless it's raining. Neither does my sister and we run 3 hours stretches minimum. Thinking on it from recall, most of the runners here aren't sweaty - male or female. Possibly because of where we're situated.

Edited: Typo
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is normal. The body adapts to increased workload by improving its ability to cool itself.

this so smart! and makes so much sense! thanks!

Yup
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Crazy and true! I soak a headband every workout, and that was never the case before I got really serious. Remember, sweat is fat crying....
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is normal. The body adapts to increased workload by improving its ability to cool itself.
    How, by growing more sweat glands?
    No, by putting out more water (sweat) to cool you. Duh!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I guess everybody is slightly different. What I find a little strange is that now I begin to sweat when I eat a large amount of food, especially if it's spicy. I used to be able to eat a lot of very spicy stuff without breaking a sweat, but now that I'm fitter just a hint of spice is enough to start the sweat. Spices are supposedly thermogenic, but it's just interesting that they didn't get me sweating before I got fitter.
  • lichen420
    lichen420 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am the opposite. I am generally more sweaty than average but when I work out regularly it takes way more exertion to generate the same amount of sweat than it does when I am more sedentary. I don't feel that I have exerted myself hard enough if I don't sweat profusely. When I started bicycling again in the spring after sitting around playing video games all winter a 20 mile bicycle ride over flat land was enough to generate a lot of sweat. Now the same ride completed much faster and in warmer weather will just produce some light sweat on my brow. I have to pedal uphill or run to get my heart pumping hard enough to produce lots of sweat now.