At Home Work Out......

Options
xYumzx
xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
A lot of people are doing more and more at home work outs..

What are some of the TOP items needed for at home work outs....

**Minus machines lol**

Im trying to get an idea of some things I should buy to make it that much better at home..

Thanks

Replies

• 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Interested in this as well as I've cancelled my gym membership. I usually primariily walk and/or jog but with the summer heat coming, I'll know I'll need more than that.
  • Show_Stopper
    Show_Stopper Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of at home DVD workouts just require hand weights and a mat if you're going to be working out on a hard surface!:happy:
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Large amount of motivation. With home workouts there are tons more 'distractions' that can keep you from doing your workout. It does get easier with time but that initial bit can be a make or break. Stick with em.

Nothing sucks more than buying equipment, videos, etc just to use em as coasters or clothes hangers.

As for things to buy. Well I love my recent purchase of the suspension training which I've hooked up to my ceiling and takes up no room, as well I can take it outside on a tree, or hookup to a door if I am away from home on work or vacation.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    A mat and a pullup bar.

Small free weights are useful if you are too weak to do a lot of the basic bodyweight exercises (they help get you to pushups, pullups, and handstands). Also useful for isolation exercises if areas need extra work.

Resistance tubing for mobility work.

Learning. Weights are simple and basic, once you learn the movement, add weight. If you are going to go the bodyweight route, there aren't many good guides out there and there is a lot of information to piece together and various paths to get from point A to B. Study, study, study.
  • nlneil
    nlneil Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey there! I've recently purchased the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution system and a set of hand weights! I haven't had them long enough to comment on how well they work, but at only 30 minutes a day I'm finding it's something I can easily fit into my schedule and even I can manage to resist distraction for 30 minutes! It's a bit pricey but I'm enjoying it. Good luck!
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    A jump rope and a couple kettlebells are helpful.
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Get the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred! I love it and all you need it a hand weights. Im using 3lbs right now but thinking about getting 5lbs to try! Good luck!
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't work out much at home, but when I do it's very basic. What I use:
    Free weights
    Yoga/exercise mat

Also good:
    Resistance bands/ropes
    Jump rope
    Pull-up bar
    Heart rate monitor
    Workout DVD's (lots of good recommendations on the forums)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A few ideas:

For free or inexpensive starters: Netflix streaming (a few) or Netflix rental (many more) for exercise videos. Your local library will have videos. Another on-line option, Hulu.com has a health & fitness channel. Tons of on-line stuff really

Before buying any videos head over to collagevideo.com - the video reviews will tell you what equipment (if any) is needed. Video clips are provided, professional reveiwers tell you if it's high impact, complex choreography, etc.

For ZERO equipment (mostly) - look for "Body Weight" exercises. Pilates & Yoga are both examples

For cardio - instead of the treadmill I use "Walk at Home" videos & an aerobic step + video (a step is just a bench thats 6"-8" high).

Do you have a Wii or XBox? Redbox rents a few exercise video games.
  • lorinbc
    lorinbc Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    At home I have my yoga mat, medicine ball, bosu ball, kettlebell and resistance bands. Nothing beats them and especially with kettlebells that's great for cardio and toning.
    Also, there's nothing better than your own body as well (squats, lunges, planks, pushups etc.)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are doing more and more at home work outs..

What are some of the TOP items needed for at home work outs....

**Minus machines lol**

Im trying to get an idea of some things I should buy to make it that much better at home..

Thanks

Your body and a pullup bar.

Go read my profile goof...lol. I lost 40lbs in 3mos doing at home strength training...sans weights.

:)
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I use hand weights, kettlebell.
    Trampoline, mini one for jumping jacks, aerobics, jumping, etc.
    Stepper for step aerobics, leg lifts, calf lifts, etc. or stairs. Stairs for legs.
    Push ups, sit ups, crunches, burpees, mountain climbers, lunges, cling and jerk, and squats all good at home even with cans of soup as weights.
    Crank up Youtube is one of my Favs and dance, aerobic dance.
    Pilates, floor exercises, leg lifts, floor bicycle.
    Yoga videos.
    Walking videos, workout videos, sometimes find workouts on Demand on the TV (aerobic, weights, belly dancing, yoga, stretching, walking, etc.)
    Jog back and forth (I have a lot of room to do that).
    Core ball stuff/yoga ball.

Other than that I have no equipment beyond hand weights, trampoline, step, yoga mat and core ball. I have no elliptical, or treadmill or anything.