Mandatory Ink!

Options
jedibunny
jedibunny Posts: 321
Just for fun, since I saw some pretty neat examples of this earlier today...

Survey: if you HAD to (I don't know why you have to, but you do) get a tattoo that either depicted (in picture form) or quoted a literary work, whether a novel, poem, quotation or other written source - what would it be? And why? (Characters don't count - has to be a scene or interpretation of a phrase if it's a picture.)

GO! :happy:

Replies

• EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    "you must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star"

Nietszche.

For obvious reasons. It RULES. :)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    or maybe :

"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become"

Carl Jung

also for obvious reasons, again: it RULES!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    "It was all started by a Mouse."

To remind me that everything starts small. :)
  • volvol16
    volvol16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would get wings on the backs of my ankles to resemble the track and field logo of the running shoes with wings. I love running and although the longest i've ran has been 14 miles at one time and never ran track and field in hs, running means so much to me. It is my sanity. It is my life.
  • killinme
    killinme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    not exactly literature but I would go for "I get my kicks above the waistline sunshine"

yeah I am old.
    hahaha
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    "I will never falter, I'll stand my ground."
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    "there are other worlds than these" Stephen King's Dark Tower Series

"Winter is Coming" George RR Martin's Game of Thrones series (and yes I was a fan LOOOONG before the HBO show!)

They are my two favorite book series ever and I think that the SK one always makes me remember that there are other places than where we are right now. Martin's reminds me that you need to prepare for "winter" and being prepared is a good thing...and things sometimes still go to heck in a handbasket LOL
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    These are all awesome! :) Keep 'em comin'....
    p.s. I'm also a HUGE Song of Ice & Fire fan - love the books. LOVE.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Maybe the gravestone from Slaughterhouse-Five with Billy Pilgrim's Epitaph - Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

More likely, though, I'd leave it to my countryman Leonard Cohen:

I'm crazy for love but I'm not coming on
    I'm just paying my rent every day
    In the Tower of Song
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    "Love is like a snowmobile racing across the tundra. Suddenly it flips, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come..."
    Matt Groening
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce." - Shakespeare

It's on my profile and I do plan on getting it tattooed..... soon.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    One more - I've always loved the last line of Alistair Macleod's novel No Great Mischief - "All of us are better when we're loved."
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    De gustibus non est disputandum

That phrase has always stuck in my mind for some reason.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I hadn't seen my best friend for 10 years. This was my own doing. We hadn't had a fight or anything and I thought of her often. She would invite me over to visit and I would find excuses not to.

Then came the call one day that she was ill. Deathly so and it broke my heart to think of losing her. I went to her house to see her and said something flip like,"Some people will do anything to get me over!" We laughed and she said, "Whatever it takes."

She died 3 days later. I had her last words inked on my forearm and I use it as my ticker. Love you Mary.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    Maybe the gravestone from Slaughterhouse-Five with Billy Pilgrim's Epitaph - Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

More likely, though, I'd leave it to my countryman Leonard Cohen:

I'm crazy for love but I'm not coming on
    I'm just paying my rent every day
    In the Tower of Song

I LOVE VONNEGUT.

My vonnegut reference quote would be "she came unstuck in time"... also a reference to SH5, but I would want it to be about me, not Billy Pilgrim!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    I hadn't seen my best friend for 10 years. This was my own doing. We hadn't had a fight or anything and I thought of her often. She would invite me over to visit and I would find excuses not to.

Then came the call one day that she was ill. Deathly so and it broke my heart to think of losing her. I went to her house to see her and said something flip like,"Some people will do anything to get me over!" We laughed and she said, "Whatever it takes."

She died 3 days later. I had her last words inked on my forearm and I use it as my ticker. Love you Mary.

<3
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Not into tattoos, but if I had to it would be "Death be Not Proud" by John Donne

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
    For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
    Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
    From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,
    Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,
    And soonest our best men with thee doe goe,
    Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie.
    Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,
    And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,
    And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well,
    And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then;
    One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally,
    And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die.
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    On my right shoulder there is the Ceshire Cat grin with "We're All Mad Here" below it.

It reminds me of how I don't want to go amongst mad people, but I myself am mad. :)
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    I already responded in her thread on her page, but mine would be a belt at the waist line which reads "Something Wicked This Way Comes".

Also, there's a line from a flogging molly song -

If I ever leave this world alive
    The madness that you feel will soon subside
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I'm actually considering getting "Mischief Managed" from Harry Potter tattooed on my shoulder at some point. I want some sort of design to go with it, but haven't decided on anything yet.

Edit: Missed the "why" :laugh: Because...what's life without a little mischief :wink: