Questions for women lifting heavy...

Options
So, I am very close to my goal weight---within 5 lbs. I just started ChaLean Extreme and I am looking for some answers...

I am wanting to lose some more body fat---and tone up the muscles I already have. Should I be eating at a deficit with heavy lifting OR should I be eating at maintenance while heavy lifting?

Can someone answer these questions for me?

1) What does heavy lifting at a calorie deficit do?
2) What does heavy lifting eating at maintenance do?
3) I imagine eating at a surplus while heavy lifting builds muscle, but how much of a calorie surplus?

I just don't want to bulk up. I just bought a whole new wardrobe and everything fits perfect. I just want to lose more body fat and tone up what I do have. Any help would be appreciated. I just want to understand how much I should eat while heavy lifting:smile: .

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to lose some more body fat---and tone up the muscles I already have. Should I be eating at a deficit with heavy lifting OR should I be eating at maintenance while heavy lifting?

To lose body fat while minimizing muscle loss, you have to eat at a deficit with sufficient protein intake to support your muscles plus cardio & heavy weight lifting

3) I imagine eating at a surplus while heavy lifting builds muscle, but how much of a calorie surplus?

1. To minimize muscle loss since our bodies when in deficit would get rid of our muscles if not being used
    2. To maintain our muscle in its peak condition. See we need to constantly train our muscles not only for faster metabolism but also to prevent injuries, osteoperosis, posture & to keep our body stronger
    3. That will depend but personally whenever I'm in bulking phase, I eat around 200-500 cals above my TDEE
    I just don't want to bulk up. I just bought a whole new wardrobe and everything fits perfect. I just want to lose more body fat and tone up what I do have. Any help would be appreciated. I just want to understand how much I should eat while heavy lifting:smile: .

Don't worry about bulking up. Yes you may gain some temporary gains in inches & pounds because of water retention since our muscles are holding onto water after each weight training session but eventually it will go away. Also when we gain muscle, we also gain some fat along with it which makes us look a bit bigger & we cannot avoid that but we can minimize fat gain by cardio. Do not neglect cardio when in bulking phase (aka muscle building) however cardio days needs to be reduced when you want to build muscle. Moreover once you are happy with the muscle gain then its time to cut (aka fat loss) to reveal the muscle thus you will look smaller, not bulky. It is the fat that makes us bulky.

EDIT: our hormonal make-up makes it impossible for us to gain big muscles like a man can since women don't have equal amounts of testosterone levels to a man in order to build huge muscles. Now you may be wondering why some women say they have the genes to bulk-up easily. First of all, these types of women are very rare so you have tiny chance to be one of those people & even if you happened to be one of them, still you won't get big like a man unless you take steroids.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting and working with a personal trainer I had lost 45 of the 50 pounds I had wanted to lose. Prior to this I was eating 1200 calories plus my exercise calories at that time. The only exercise to this point was walking 5-6 days a week. As soon as I started lifting I stopped losing as I had been. I lost no weight for 6 weeks. After 4 of those weeks I increased to 1450 calories, still no weight loss. I was reading New Rules for Lifting for Woman and the author recommends that you don't eat at a calorie deficit , but states if you must, figure out your maintainence calories and reduce it minimally to lose. I did this plus was vigilant about eating back all of my exercise calories. I lost the last 5 pounds within the next 3- 4 weeks. Since then I have been eating at my MFP maintenance calories plus my exercise calories [ which is 1880 plus exercise] and I have continued to lose another 4 pounds in the last 6 weeks. In addition I have dropped from a size 10 to a size 6 since I started lifting with only a 9 pound weight change. I have dropped 3.5 inches of my waist measurement alone.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it:flowerforyou: .
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options

To lose body fat while minimizing muscle loss, you have to eat at a deficit with sufficient protein intake to support your muscles plus cardio & heavy weight lifting

1. To minimize muscle loss since our bodies when in deficit would get rid of our muscles if not being used
    2. To maintain our muscle in its peak condition. See we need to constantly train our muscles not only for faster metabolism but also to prevent injuries, osteoperosis, posture & to keep our body stronger
    3. That will depend but personally whenever I'm in bulking phase, I eat around 200-500 cals above my TDEE

Don't worry about bulking up. Yes you may gain some temporary gains in inches & pounds because of water retention since our muscles are holding onto water after each weight training session but eventually it will go away. Also when we gain muscle, we also gain some fat along with it which makes us look a bit bigger & we cannot avoid that but we can minimize fat gain by cardio. Do not neglect cardio when in bulking phase (aka muscle building) however cardio days needs to be reduced when you want to build muscle. Moreover once you are happy with the muscle gain then its time to cut (aka fat loss) to reveal the muscle thus you will look smaller, not bulky. It is the fat that makes us bulky.

EDIT: our hormonal make-up makes it impossible for us to gain big muscles like a man can since women don't have equal amounts of testosterone levels to a man in order to build huge muscles. Now you may be wondering why some women say they have the genes to bulk-up easily. First of all, these types of women are very rare so you have tiny chance to be one of those people & even if you happened to be one of them, still you won't get big like a man unless you take steroids.

Another question...how long do people stay in the 'bulking' phase----a couple weeks, a couple months?