Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Good Cardio for Beginners

Does anyone know of cardio exercises that are good for someone new to exercising again and with a lot of weight to lose. I've tried walking but it kills my knees and ankles and the elliptical machine is just too intense for me right now. In a month my pool will open daily so I can swim but I'd love to get started on something now. Any suggestions?

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Find an indoor pool. Stationery bike maybe?
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    How about a stationary bike?
  • hprozy
    hprozy Posts: 20
    Try walking on the treadmill on an incline. The incline will take some pressure of your knees.
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    My sister-in-law does a stationary bike because she has problems with her knees. Swimming will also be good once you can do it this summer.
  • LoriJ1782
    LoriJ1782 Posts: 41 Member
    Do they still make those really small stationary bikes, like the kind that fit under a desk? I live in a small apartment lol. My husband just informed me there is a bike like machine in the complex's gym but it sounds more complicated than a regular bike so I'll have to check it out.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    You need to check with your doctor. All these ideas are great but if you have pain associated with exercise that limits you, you need to verify things with your doctor, in my opinion.
  • LoriJ1782
    I'm really looking forward to swimming because it's an exercise I love to do but I definitely need something for year round. A bike seems like the best option right now!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    You need to check with your doctor. All these ideas are great but if you have pain associated with exercise that limits you, you need to verify things with your doctor, in my opinion.

Agreed.
  • LoriJ1782
    I've checked with my doctor :) I have damage to one of my knees and my ankles that they are aware of. They recommend zero to low impact exercise but said walking should be fine even though it will hurt as long as I keep a slower pace. I would just prefer something that only hurts the muscles (in a good way) not my knees and ankles too :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    Walking if you can get outside and exercise videos if it's crappy out. 30 Day Shred I highly recommend. It's tough, but over time you notice extreme progress.

If you can get to the gym the elliptical trainer is a great calorie burner.

Also, strength training. If you do 30 Day Shred, I think that's really all the strength training a newbie needs for now. Weights at the gym can be a intimidating. All you have to buy is 3 pound weights and start the DVD!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    I liked the wii fit program because there is lots of room for beginners. It is also a private in home activity. And fun, and addicting.
    When I was immobilized I did couch exercises. I had weights under my couch and did every sort of arm curl, lift I could think of. Drop the weights and make it cardio, It is amazing what you can do if you are determined and not afraid to look silly.
  • BabeedollB
    BabeedollB Posts: 161 Member
    30DS did a number on my knees!!! I had to quit around Day 12/13.
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    You may want to try swimming. Elliptical is usually recommended for beginners.
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    If you run across a Gazelle, get it ...its a type of glider. It is so much easier on my knees and ankles. Also youtube Leslie Sansone 5 minute walking videos. Start out doing a little at a time. Her videos are great.

Don't try and keep up with everyone else....just remember to move. Do what you can and as much as you can. :)
  • Diana35bha
    Diana35bha Posts: 292 Member
    I have arthritis in my knees and struggled with cardio for ages but I used a reclining stationary bike (where your feet are in front of you rather than below you!) so there was no weight bearing on the knees and I could take the pace as slow as I needed to, simply to get them moving, but swimming is best as it is non weight bearing anyway!

Good Luck

Di
  • LoriJ1782
    I used to do 30 day Shred off of exercise TV and it's one effective workout, I just can't do all the cardio cause she does things like jumping jacks which are torture for me, way too high of impact! I do have a Wii and a Kinect, I should start the beginner stuff on there!
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    People replying to this should probably read the original post before offering advice.
    Just a thought :)
  • If you have a Wii or Kinect, try one of their Sports games. They usually have a combination of bowling, boxing, table tennis, soccer.... etc. They will give you a good workout and in some cases, if you are not able to stand for long periods of time, you can do some of the games in a sitting position. It is also a way to include your family in your cardio exercising, and makes it more enjoyable and less of a chore for you.:happy:
  • LoriJ1782
    I have a gazelle but it's in storage cause my husband says it's too big for our apartment. I loved it and my best friend said she'd help me get it out and make room for it since he won't so I'm hoping she pulls through and I can get it, then I'd be set!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I love Walk at Home DVDs. Take a look at the clip & see if it might work. The good thing about these videos... you can ALWAYS go at your own pace. Keep your side steps small, and your knee lifts low, until you feel better. I do these videos on a carpeted floor, lower impact than outdoor walking, no uneven terrain. Walking on puzzle exercise mats is also helpful (for hardwood floors).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related